Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Answer in the form of... an answer  (Read 1705 times)

CherryPizza

Answer in the form of... an answer
« on: July 12, 2006, 12:56:08 AM »
People who have grown up on American versions of Jeopardy!, ponder me this:

These days, would the show work, would it be the same if they suddenly dropped the "answer in the form of a question" rule? Is there enough of a format in the show to see this as an extraneous gimmick? Is there enough of a drawcard in the questions, personalities, drama, strategy, risk-taking, etc. to put this rule into the "bizarre" category?

I'm not trying to stir the pot or make groundbreaking suggestions, I just ask your opinions on it because twice there have been productions of J! here in Australia. The first time, in the 70s, it was a show for teenage contestants and there was no "answering in the form of a question". The second show, in 1993, flopped badly and one of the most frequent comments from viewers and media commentators was that it was just too bizarre to have contestants starting answers with "Who is" or "What is".

In Tony Barber's (host of the 93 version) memoir, he says that he tried to pitch the show to another network a few years later and was insisting that every other part of the show worked and could get a following as long as they dumped the "bizarre" rule. I remember being in year 9 at the time that Tony's show aired, and much as I thought it was a crappy version of it, I found it so eerie that one of the main reasons for the show being so famous in the US was what made so many over here say it was "strange", "stupid" and various other words.

Your thoughts?

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2006, 01:16:52 AM »
[quote name=\'CherryPizza\' post=\'123910\' date=\'Jul 11 2006, 09:56 PM\']
Your thoughts?
[/quote]
Australians clearly have different tastes. Sale Of The Century is one of your most enduring shows, and you guys just canned Wheel Of Fortune.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2006, 01:20:41 AM »
Unequivocally it would play just as well without answering in the form of a question.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2006, 12:14:09 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'123912\' date=\'Jul 12 2006, 01:20 AM\']
Unequivocally it would play just as well without answering in the form of a question.[/quote]
100% agreed.  However, now that they're locked into this format, it would be a shock to the system of fans for them to suddenly change it.  Pretty much the same concept as keeping Vanna years after her "usefullness" had ended.  You just don't mess with what's working.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Neumms

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2006, 09:59:34 AM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'123935\' date=\'Jul 12 2006, 11:14 AM\']
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'123912\' date=\'Jul 12 2006, 01:20 AM\']
Unequivocally it would play just as well without answering in the form of a question.[/quote]
100% agreed.  However, now that they're locked into this format, it would be a shock to the system of fans for them to suddenly change it.  Pretty much the same concept as keeping Vanna years after her "usefullness" had ended.  You just don't mess with what's working.
[/quote]

That and it's charming. And I'm sure Merv doesn't mind that it's now hard to play along with other games without beginning all the answers in your head with "what is. . . " I was doing that just last night watching VH1.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2006, 10:00:16 AM by Neumms »

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2006, 12:17:53 PM »
[quote name=\'Neumms\' post=\'124066\' date=\'Jul 13 2006, 06:59 AM\']
That and it's charming. And I'm sure Merv doesn't mind that it's now hard to play along with other games without beginning all the answers in your head with "what is. . . " I was doing that just last night watching VH1.
[/quote]
I thought the Dunce Cap on Win Ben Stein's Money was a fine way of communicating to the contestants and the audience that This Ain't Jeopardy. :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

uncamark

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2006, 03:40:45 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'124078\' date=\'Jul 13 2006, 11:17 AM\']
[quote name=\'Neumms\' post=\'124066\' date=\'Jul 13 2006, 06:59 AM\']
[/quote]
I thought the Dunce Cap on Win Ben Stein's Money was a fine way of communicating to the contestants and the audience that This Ain't Jeopardy. :)
[/quote]

Not to mention Ken Ober's "Do these clothes look like they come from Mr. Guy?"