Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Just back from our Chain Reaction taping!  (Read 2255 times)

FlashStash

Just back from our Chain Reaction taping!
« on: July 13, 2006, 08:19:26 PM »
We had a great time at taping, I'll let you all know when our episode airs....

3 hour tapings?  No more...5 episodes in one day.  They've got this down pat now. In the morning, we had 3 main games played with 6 teams for 3 different episodes, then they did all 3 bonus rounds one right after the other. It all went very smoothly and the staff was great.  I'll be glad to answer any questions anyone has.  It should be a great show to play along at home with.

FS

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2006, 08:23:57 PM »
Well, good to hear they seem to have worked their kinks out.
How did the host do, in general?
« Last Edit: July 13, 2006, 08:24:08 PM by Modor »
--Mark
Phil 4:13

FlashStash

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2006, 08:41:11 PM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' post=\'124146\' date=\'Jul 13 2006, 08:23 PM\']
Well, good to hear they seem to have worked their kinks out.
How did the host do, in general?
[/quote]

I think he did pretty well...he had one flub they had to re-do, but the game really runs itself. My team mentioned that we really didn't even notice he was there, which is probably a sign of a good host.

FS

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2006, 08:41:53 PM »
Who WAS the host? Did they get the good-looking hipster from Fuze back, or use someone else?
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

FlashStash

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2006, 08:43:37 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'124149\' date=\'Jul 13 2006, 08:41 PM\']
Who WAS the host? Did they get the good-looking hipster from Fuze back, or use someone else?
[/quote]

Yep, it's the good looking hipster...cute guy, I was wondering how old he is.

FS

FeudDude

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2006, 10:26:44 PM »
I'm glad to hear that they've at least got the show running more smoothly.  I was at the pilot taping, and while I thought the format was great (save for the fact that they reveal the last letters of the words), the production values left a lot to be desired, especially considering that this is a Michael Davies production.  I'll probably check out another taping around the end of the month to see how things have progressed.

As for Lane as host, I think Matt O. nailed it with his description: "cheerfully awkward".  He was friendly and would occasionally say something funny, but he was shaky to say the least, and seemed to be one of the reasons why there were so many tape stoppages (along with software issues and contestants acting up).  Still, the fact that he only flubbed once during these tapings is a good sign.

FlashStash

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2006, 08:08:40 AM »
Three more things I thought of...

1. A big difference from the original game...everything is a compound word or phrase.  So no links like TITANIC - ICEBERG or CHICKEN - POULTRY.  Every word was directly connected to the word beneath through a compound word or phrase.

2.  I don't think it's a spoiler to say this, but the average main game was ending with about a $2000 win from the shows I saw.

3. I'm not sure how many words they got through on the original show, but you're getting through 26 here. 5 words x 4 for each main game, and 2 words x 3 for the bonus puzzles.  I think that's definitely more gameplay than in the original show.

FS

Robert Hutchinson

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2006, 09:08:18 PM »
[quote name=\'FlashStash\' post=\'124189\' date=\'Jul 14 2006, 08:08 AM\']3. I'm not sure how many words they got through on the original show, but you're getting through 26 here. 5 words x 4 for each main game, and 2 words x 3 for the bonus puzzles.  I think that's definitely more gameplay than in the original show.[/quote]
Giving contestants the last letters, and making 6 of the words a race against a clock, will do that. (There were 6 "gettable" words per chain on the original, FTR.)
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

Chelsea Thrasher

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2006, 09:27:00 PM »
Good to see they've at least gotten the hang of producing a game show well enough to get in 5-a-day.  With the production order, they should be done in no time

Speaking of production orders, a small divergence...It's too bad that 13 weeks (65 episodes for a game) is the standard nowadays. but with the rate GSN orders new batches of episodes, you get 13 weeks of new shows per year (if that much).   If a program shows signs of catching on in the ratings, why do they not go ahead and order another immedate batch?  That's something with GSN that's bugged me the entire time I've had the network.