Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Starface Taping  (Read 1849 times)

mmb5

Starface Taping
« on: July 14, 2006, 01:01:28 PM »
$4 million of prior Game Show winnings (this is important later) went to see two episodes of GSN's new show Starface (with Danny Bonaduce) tape yesterday afternoon.

The format:
*Three players
*One miscast host
*Round 1: A face is shown.  Whoever identifies it, 50 points.  A few follow up questions for 50 each (open to everybody).
*Round 2: Repeat for 100 points per.
*Round 3: "Below the Beltway", where the person to identify is given in four Trebek-Double Dare style clues for 200 points.
*Round 4: Players put on a mask (all of the same person such as Renee Zellweger) and answer some questions about the person in first person.  Player who has the most points at the end moves on to the bonus game.  The other two are shot by Danny Bonaduce.  (Note: one statement in this line is false)
*Bonus: You are given questions about the same two people who are comically linked (such as Vince Neil and Neil Armstrong).  Get 10 in 60 seconds, you win some form of Central American or Carribean vacation.  Not getting 10 nets you $100 per.

The host:
He's O.K., but no human being can handle that voice for 30 minutes.

The crew:
I realize this was only their second day of taping, but they made many, many errors that involved many, many stops such as wrong sound effects, incorrect scoring, incorrectly cropped pictures, etc.  It took them 1:45 to tape 2 shows.  According to the floor director, they only managed one show on the first tape day.

The question:
Ed Toutant, with us as part of the group, asked the floor director if they had to wait for the question to be completed.  The floor director said yes, there was a light they were watching for.  When I asked a follow up question on how do they see the lights through the masks (since they don't have eye holes), I was told what a great question that was without given an actual answer.

The problem:
They will run out of material fast.  (Slight spoiler ahead): One segment was on Kimberly Stewart, who is hardly a household name in the Stewart household.  All of the questions were straight out of her Wikipedia page.

The funniest part:
Had nothing to do with the show.  The warm-up guy, who just plain wasn't funny, realized that his shtick wasn't working with us.  He then talks about how he can't win anything and then asks the audience if they've ever won anything.  He first asked this to Kevin Olmstead.  He didn't get to Ed Toutant before they had to resume taping.

The concluision:
It's not bad, but it could be better.  A better host and sharper contestants would be a start.

--Mike
Portions of this post not affecting the outcome have been edited or recreated.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Starface Taping
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2006, 01:19:24 PM »
[quote name=\'mmb5\' post=\'124201\' date=\'Jul 14 2006, 12:01 PM\']
A better host and sharper contestants would be a start.
[/quote]
Gee, this seems to be the common complaint about GSN's shows.

But hey, who doesn't want to see a pretty face?
--Mark
Phil 4:13

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Starface Taping
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2006, 02:44:25 PM »
Honestly? This sounds just about as horrid as I thought it would. Different strokes and all that, but it just sounds offensive.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

tvrandywest

Starface Taping
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2006, 03:03:38 PM »
The function of the "ring-in light" is duplicated on the podiums for use when the players are wearing masks. The stopdowns you encountered are slowly becoming "business as usual" at tapings... especially newer shows that have yet to find their rhythm and permanent employees. And that's true with even the best crews, such as at "Game Show Marathon" at CBS.

You actually didn't see the second day of taping. I worked the first two tape dates on June 19th and 20th. And indeed we only got through one show on the first date. Since then a number of crew members have changed, including the stage manager you spoke with.

Randy
tvrandywest.com
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

FlashStash

Starface Taping
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2006, 03:25:14 PM »
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' post=\'124210\' date=\'Jul 14 2006, 03:03 PM\']

You actually didn't see the second day of taping. I worked the first two tape dates on June 19th and 20th. And indeed we only got through one show on the first date. Since then a number of crew members have changed, including the stage manager you spoke with.

Randy
tvrandywest.com
[/quote]

Along those lines, seeing what CR started as on its first taping day to what it is now, it seems like it's not realistic to use the first few tape dates as representative of future taping days.  I imagine it takes some time to get the bugs worked out, as CR easily went from a 3hr, one show tape day to a smooth-running 5 shows a day schedule in just a few tape dates.

FS

Tony

Starface Taping
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2006, 10:37:15 AM »
[quote name=\'FlashStash\' post=\'124211\' date=\'Jul 14 2006, 02:25 PM\']

Along those lines, seeing what CR started as on its first taping day to what it is now, it seems like it's not realistic to use the first few tape dates as representative of future taping days.  I imagine it takes some time to get the bugs worked out, as CR easily went from a 3hr, one show tape day to a smooth-running 5 shows a day schedule in just a few tape dates.

[/quote]
This fact may have restored some of my hope in the "Renaissance of 2006", but seeing as I don't get GSN,...