Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Deal season premiere rumor control  (Read 6698 times)

MikeK

• Martha!
Deal season premiere rumor control
« on: July 20, 2006, 03:19:50 AM »
(Dave, Matt, or Chris:  If you feel there is too much info here or it should be moved to a different section, please do that.  I apologize if I goofed.)

Tim Connolly, Jason Hernandez, one of Jason's friends, and yours truly were at the season premiere of Deal or No Deal today.  The rumored higher board values were simply that--rumors.  Two games were played during the marathon 8 hour taping session (and no air conditioning made those 8 hours that much more fun).  The first game had the usual values while the second game's top two prizes were $1M and $2M.  It was never explained why player 1 didn't have the same $2M board.

Set-wise, there are a few cosmetic changes but nothing radically different.  There are a few (3 or fewer) new models, as well as models at new case numbers.  For example, Alike was at case 18 and is now case 20's model.  An in-studio audience vote tally has been added for this season but apparently wasn't functioning properly when the studio was polled during a game.  The models also do their march down the steps in new outfits after every game.  Other than that, it's the same old same old.

Rant time:  Audience service was a weakness at today's tapings.  Besides the 3 hour taping running over by 5 hours, the staff and crew were incredibly rude towards audience members when it came to simple requests like water in a studio with no A/C and access to the restrooms.  It was such a bad experience that if I was invited to a Deal taping in the future, I would decline.  The powers that be said they'd get those of us who were in the studio for 8 hours a Deal hat and some food.  Nobody got food while under half the people in attendance got a hat.  At the end of the taping as everybody was leaving Culver Studios, a diabetic told a staffer she needed food ASAP.  (EDIT:  This happened after the taping, on Culver Studios property.)  I don't think anything became of that.  The gratis Deal hat is nice, but the whole Deal taping experience was one which left a bitter taste in the mouths of each of the four of us.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2006, 04:36:37 AM by MikeK »

J.R.

« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2006, 03:26:57 AM »
[quote name=\'MikeK\' post=\'124564\' date=\'Jul 20 2006, 02:19 AM\']
 Near the end of the taping, a diabetic told a staffer she needed food ASAP.  I don't think anything became of that.
[/quote]

What a group of class acts. Well, when the woman dies from the lack of food, may that be on their cruel consciences for the rest of their lives. I wonder how that staffer sleeps at night?

EDIT: I have diabetic relatives. I know what I'm talking about.

-Joe R.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2006, 05:44:47 AM by JRaygor »
-Joe Raygor

joe_capitano

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2006, 04:04:48 AM »
As a "Type 1" myself (diagnosed March 30, 1999), I can identify with this woman. Low blood sugar can be very dangerous. No doubt she was feeling light-headed, seeing spots before her eyes, perhaps sweating profusely. I've had it happen myself - not lately, but it's happened. The least someone could have done is slip her a regular soft drink or a cookie.

Now that this has been made known, let's hope someone over there at the DOND studio will get the message and see that this does not happen again.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2006, 04:12:01 AM »
Hmm.
Based on the report I heard about people who attempted to attend Chain Reaction, it seems that these producers don't realize that audience members are guests...and should be treated accordingly.

No one wants to support a show, and then get a bum rap like this.  Imagine if this hit the mainstream press...
--Mark
Phil 4:13

vtown7

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2006, 05:31:19 AM »
Maybe this sounds off, but maybe they're treating people that way because the wranglers think they're all paid audience and thus don't deserve to be treated decently?

Just a thought.

R.

mparrish11

• Marriage is the leading cause of divorce.
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2006, 11:37:18 AM »
Sounds like a story straight out of Inside Edition... ;-)
--Matt

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2006, 12:23:09 PM »
I'm sorry that happened to you guys.  At least I won't be mentally kicking myself for missing that; unlike last year, when I mentally kicked myself for missing the TPIR pilgrimage--rectified this year.  And, oh, the stories we could tell, but those not there will have to wait until October 5.

Never thought I'd ever quote John Denver, but, hey, it's good to be back home again.

Doug -- and the countdown to 2100 begins
« Last Edit: July 20, 2006, 12:27:04 PM by SRIV94 »
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

PYLW

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2006, 01:23:11 PM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' post=\'124571\' date=\'Jul 20 2006, 04:12 AM\']
Hmm.
Based on the report I heard about people who attempted to attend Chain Reaction, it seems that these producers don't realize that audience members are guests...and should be treated accordingly.

[/quote]

Haha, I was there during the first taping mishap. My friend said it best "If they said that they'd get us some water or something, then we would've stayed.", but no, that terrible warm-up announcer kept giving out candy. I feel bad for the poor audience members that ate it in the beginning, it must've been hard to not be able to drink anything for the 3/almost 4 hours it took. In fact, the first thing my party did after we left was run to the nearest deli and buy water.

cmjb13

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2006, 01:33:01 PM »
[quote name=\'PYLW\' post=\'124597\' date=\'Jul 20 2006, 01:23 PM\']
but no, that terrible warm-up announcer kept giving out candy.[/quote]
Sound like Chunky (or is it Chucky) D's MO.

If we are indeed talking about the same guy, he was the warm-up guy for the last few episodes from the first batch taped at CBS. I've also seen him do warm-up for the Late Late Show.

Apparently, he throws an annual party somewhere for paid audience members. The party is a thank you to them for being a lively and rowdy audience (BTW, how much does one get paid to be there?)
« Last Edit: July 20, 2006, 02:29:06 PM by cmjb13 »
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

Steve McClellan

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2006, 02:23:58 PM »
[quote name=\'cmjb13\' date=\'Jul 20 2006, 10:33 AM\']
Apparently, he throws an annual party somewhere for paid audience members. The party is a thank you to them for being a lively and rowdy audience (BTW, how much does one get paid to be there?)[/quote]
Minimum wage, usually.

tvrandywest

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2006, 02:43:43 PM »
Warm-up for nightmare tapings? Been there, done that... way too many times. I'm curious who worked this gig. As for a discussion of the phenomenon of paid audiences and their compensation:
http://gameshow.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=7030&hl=
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

Game Show Man

• Admiral Anaheim, Big Joey Numbers, etc.
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2006, 08:15:55 PM »
[quote name=\'MikeK\' post=\'124564\' date=\'Jul 20 2006, 12:19 AM\']
(Dave, Matt, or Chris:  If you feel there is too much info here or it should be moved to a different section, please do that.  I apologize if I goofed.)

Tim Connolly, Jason Hernandez, one of Jason's friends, and yours truly were at the season premiere of Deal or No Deal today.  The rumored higher board values were simply that--rumors.  Two games were played during the marathon 8 hour taping session (and no air conditioning made those 8 hours that much more fun).  The first game had the usual values while the second game's top two prizes were $1M and $2M.  It was never explained why player 1 didn't have the same $2M board.

Set-wise, there are a few cosmetic changes but nothing radically different.  There are a few (3 or fewer) new models, as well as models at new case numbers.  For example, Alike was at case 18 and is now case 20's model.  An in-studio audience vote tally has been added for this season but apparently wasn't functioning properly when the studio was polled during a game.  The models also do their march down the steps in new outfits after every game.  Other than that, it's the same old same old.

Rant time:  Audience service was a weakness at today's tapings.  Besides the 3 hour taping running over by 5 hours, the staff and crew were incredibly rude towards audience members when it came to simple requests like water in a studio with no A/C and access to the restrooms.  It was such a bad experience that if I was invited to a Deal taping in the future, I would decline.  The powers that be said they'd get those of us who were in the studio for 8 hours a Deal hat and some food.  Nobody got food while under half the people in attendance got a hat.  At the end of the taping as everybody was leaving Culver Studios, a diabetic told a staffer she needed food ASAP.  (EDIT:  This happened after the taping, on Culver Studios property.)  I don't think anything became of that.  The gratis Deal hat is nice, but the whole Deal taping experience was one which left a bitter taste in the mouths of each of the four of us.
[/quote]

Standing out in line for three hours wasn't much more fun.  They did give us a small bag of snacks to eat while waiting, and while the second taping was supposed to start at 3 PM and last until about 6:30 PM, we didn't get into the building until around 5:30 PM and the taping lasted until about 8 PM.

The show itself however was quite exciting: for the third game, the top prize was booted up to $3,000,000.  I won't tell you any more than that though...you'll have to watch it yourself.
"Game Show Man" Joe Van Ginkel
captvangin@aol.com
"Remember, reality bites, so WATCH MORE GAME SHOWS!"

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2006, 08:21:15 PM »
[quote name=\'Game Show Man\' post=\'124604\' date=\'Jul 20 2006, 05:15 PM\']
Standing out in line for three hours wasn't much more fun.  They did give us a small bag of snacks to eat while waiting,
[/quote]
I found it interesting, after reading this thread, to come home to last night's Daily Show on my Tivo, where at the end Jon Stewart thanked the folks at Breyer's for hooking his audience up with ice cream during the heat wave they're dealing with in New York right now.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2006, 09:42:46 PM »
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' post=\'124600\' date=\'Jul 20 2006, 02:43 PM\']Warm-up for nightmare tapings? Been there, done that... way too many times. I'm curious who worked this gig.[/quote]
His first name was Marcus.  He's a heavy-set African-American.  One of Randy's fingernail clippings could've done a better job warming up the audience.

[quote name=\'Game Show Man\' post=\'124604\' date=\'Jul 20 2006, 08:15 PM\']The show itself however was quite exciting: for the third game, the top prize was booted up to $3,000,000.  I won't tell you any more than that though...you'll have to watch it yourself.[/quote]
It appears that each successive game in the premiere week will have its top prize raised by $1M.

One other note I meant to add late last night is that $1,000,000 will be given away in the at-home lucky case game during premiere week, including $200,000 on premiere night.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2006, 09:45:54 PM by MikeK »

Ian Wallis

« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2006, 12:54:08 PM »
I'm sorry that happened to you guys. At least I won't be mentally kicking myself for missing that; unlike last year, when I mentally kicked myself for missing the TPIR pilgrimage--rectified this year. And, oh, the stories we could tell, but those not there will have to wait until October 5.

We decided to make Wednesday a shopping day as it was our last before the trip home.  I seriously considered going to the Deal taping though, but after reading that I'm glad I didn't.  It's too bad that it had to be that way.

Oh...and about the stories we could tell...I'm going to tell them all when I write up about the experiences for my site just as I did for the Battlestars taping I attended...but I won't post it until October 6th!
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!