Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: What John O'Hurley's Up To...  (Read 5227 times)

calliaume

What John O'Hurley's Up To...
« on: September 06, 2003, 01:57:02 PM »
He plays a game show host on a new UPN sitcom.  Don't say you weren't warned.  At least Loni Anderson has a job.

vtown7

« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2003, 02:11:45 PM »
I remember seeing a commercial for this on UPN in Los Angeles (first time I've ever seen the channel - not readily available in Canadian homes)... yikes!

Possibly the one highlight might be if they let us see into his \"game show world\"?

Cheers,

Ryan :)

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2003, 03:52:39 PM »
[quote name=\'calliaume\' date=\'Sep 6 2003, 12:57 PM\'] He plays a game show host on a new UPN sitcom.  Don't say you weren't warned.  At least Loni Anderson has a job. [/quote]
 Earlier this week, I heard O'Hurley portraying a character in a radio ad for The Cleveland Plain Dealer, promoting their classified ads.  Another GS-related voice has done a similar ad for the Plain Dealer--Patti Deutsch.

Argo

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2003, 05:44:45 PM »
He does voiceovers for the Coors commercials, well thats where ive heard him.

Also, UPN is somewhat available in Canada... on Roger's digital cable i think, and probably on satellite. We used to get it on cable before they switched to digital, but digital is just not worh it for me yet... maybe if they bring back TPIR and some more MG shows on GSN, or something ill think about it hehe, but my wallet has to agree too.

whampyl03

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2003, 05:47:21 PM »
John has also been doing (for a few years now) some commercials for GCI Alaska, and just recently one for Alaska.com.

DjohnsonCB

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2003, 02:32:42 PM »
I'm actually looking forward to \"The Mullets\".  It sounds like the first UPN sitcom I could actually enjoy since \"Malcolm & Eddie\".  And hey, it's got Loni Anderson!
"Disconnect her buzzer...disconnect EVERYONE'S buzzer!"

--Alex Trebel

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2003, 04:18:04 PM »
[quote name=\'DjohnsonCB\' date=\'Sep 7 2003, 11:32 AM\'] And hey, it's got Loni Anderson! [/quote]
 So did Burt Reynolds, and it didn't make me like him any more.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

zachhoran

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2003, 07:38:03 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Sep 7 2003, 03:18 PM\'] [quote name=\'DjohnsonCB\' date=\'Sep 7 2003, 11:32 AM\'] And hey, it's got Loni Anderson! [/quote]
So did Burt Reynolds, and it didn't make me like him any more. [/quote]
 Love or hate Burt Reynolds as a performer, but he seems to be one of the bigger-name celeb friends of the game show genre, having done game shows during virtually all phases of career(60s MG at the beginning of his stardom, Marshall HS and Liar's Club and a cameo on MG74 at the height of it, co-producing and appearing on WLOD in the 80s, and still doing HS appearances from time to time)

ChrisLambert!

• Overthrow, Sister Havana
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2003, 11:37:47 PM »
If you missed it, then you were the lucky one.

That show is a plague on humanity.
@lambertman

Chelsea Thrasher

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2003, 11:49:26 PM »
I watched the teaser & opening credits.  I was already so sickened at that point I figured why even both...So,  I switched it to Whoopi  (NBC was rerunning the pilot).  Now that, IMO, was a good show (never thought I'd be saying that).

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2003, 09:18:52 AM »
If I understood them correctly, the title of the fictional game show is \"Quizardry\" (i.e. \"quiz wizardry\").  It's clearly supposed to be a Jeopardy take-off, and we're supposed to think of O'Hurley's character as a Trebek type.  There's a back story that he fell in love with the boys' mom (Loni Anderson) when she appeared as a contestant, so they had to disqualify her.  I imagine we'll eventually get a look at the show, if we're still watching at that point.

Game show fans would have gotten a modest kick out of a couple of references to classic moments.  One of the brothers' pals asks O'Hurley if he could get a tape of that time when he asked a couple where the weirdest place they made whoopie was, and when he's told that was a different show, he asks about the time when the girl fell out of her top when she was told to \"Come On Down!\"
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Radiofreewill

« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2003, 02:24:56 PM »
Saw the overnight ratings for UPN last night. Apparently, The Mullets lost about 31% of the audience from its lead in, WWE Smackdown (which scored a 4.5).  Final numbers should be out later today.