Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Barely a "game"... hardly a "show"  (Read 2702 times)

CherryPizza

Barely a "game"... hardly a "show"
« on: July 31, 2006, 10:15:50 PM »
As of this week, all three Australian commercial TV networks are aring inane midnight-dawn programs which call themselves "game shows".

In a nutshell, the programs consist of too-perky too-sure-they-are-funny 'hosts' babbling to camera while asking people to make phone calls on 1900 numbers (meaning the show's producers profit each time someone calls) with the vain hope that their call will be put through to the host and they will be asked to solve 'puzzles' with modest cash prizes. I must say that it's hard to imagine even die-hard game show fans making an effort to watch these things regularly.

So... people who run game show-related websites, would you see yourselves featuring these sorts of shows on your sites (In the same way that I don't feature reality TV shows I my site, these shows also wouldn't make the cut for me)?

People who do the game show tape/DVD trading, would you see youselves adding these shows to your lists and/or trading episodes from your collection from them (I've never done trading, so I have no idea what to say to this one)?
« Last Edit: July 31, 2006, 10:17:47 PM by CherryPizza »

itiparanoid13

« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2006, 10:24:44 PM »
It's Playmania over here on GSN.  And they don't care about tape trading.  Want to know what they care about?  I'll say it like this: GSN is earning tens of thousands of dollars each night, 3 days a week.  They give away a little over a grand each night most likely.  It's a giant profit for GSN, and it's really one of the smartest things they've done a while.  It could be worse, man.  They could have infomercials.  At least this is semi entertaining.

And yes, I'm trying to get an interview with Mel Peachy from Playmania, actually.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2006, 10:25:12 PM by itiparanoid13 »

Hastin

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2006, 10:28:51 PM »
The UK does it, and GSN just started PlayMania (same idea). Honestly, I don't mind it. It's better than being off the air, and better than seeing an infomercial. Sure, it's designed to make money, but sometimes it can be entertaining as well.

Webster defines 'game show' as:
game show
n.
A television show in which contestants compete for prizes by playing games of knowledge or chance.

So that sounds like a *literal* game show to me. ;)
-Hastin :)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2006, 10:46:32 PM »
[quote name=\'CherryPizza\' post=\'125830\' date=\'Jul 31 2006, 07:15 PM\']
I must say that it's hard to imagine even die-hard game show fans making an effort to watch these things regularly.
[/quote]
Yet, we have folks here (and by here, I mean this board) who line up for the opportunity.

Didn't they do similar stuff on the Big Brother late-night show?
So... people who run game show-related websites, would you see yourselves featuring these sorts of shows on your sites (In the same way that I don't feature reality TV shows I my site, these shows also wouldn't make the cut for me)?
I wouldn't acknowledge them because they suck, not because they may or may not be a game show.
[quote name=\'itiparanoid\' post=\'125831\' date=\'Jul 31 2006, 07:24 PM\']]
And yes, I'm trying to get an interview with Mel Peachy from Playmania, actually.
[/quote]
Gawd, why?
« Last Edit: July 31, 2006, 10:48:04 PM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

itiparanoid13

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2006, 11:30:24 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'125835\' date=\'Jul 31 2006, 10:46 PM\']
Gawd, why?
[/quote]

Because it's a very popular show, getting equal the ratings that all of daytime gets according to some stats I got, and I would just like to.  I might be really alone in this, but I am really impressed that how Mel can bullshit her way through 2 hours without coming off as just saying "Uh, I have no idea what to do now, so just look at the flashy rotating graphics and annoying dance pop background music."  In all honesty, I know that the show isn't exactly a classic or even a quality show by any standards, but I am impressed with the production.  It's well done.

I kinda went off on a tangent, sorry.  I just like talking to people in the industry, and I'll go for who is easiest.  Right now, though, Playmania interviews are about the farthest away from fruitation.  I'm getting a Dylan Lane interview really soon, so we'll see how that goes.  I attempt to talk to anyone I can.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2006, 11:31:10 PM by itiparanoid13 »

clemon79

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2006, 11:32:55 PM »
[quote name=\'itiparanoid13\' post=\'125840\' date=\'Jul 31 2006, 08:30 PM\']
I might be really alone in this, but I am really impressed that how Mel can bullshit her way through 2 hours without coming off as just saying "Uh, I have no idea what to do now, so just look at the flashy rotating graphics and annoying dance pop background music."  In all honesty, I know that the show isn't exactly a classic or even a quality show by any standards, but I am impressed with the production.  It's well done.
[/quote]
Your shill is showing.

Based on what I've seen from her, I wouldn't try asking her anything too taxing. I'd send you twenty bucks if you asked her to do basic math, though.

CherryPizza

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2006, 12:42:16 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'125841\' date=\'Jul 31 2006, 10:32 PM\']
Based on what I've seen from her, I wouldn't try asking her anything too taxing. I'd send you twenty bucks if you asked her to do basic math, though.
[/quote]

Likewise, I'd like to get hold of each nation's host of Big Brother  to ask some questions about George Orwell, or his politics, or at least the basic storyline of 1984, and see which (if any) can come up with a moderately articulate response
« Last Edit: August 01, 2006, 12:43:04 AM by CherryPizza »

uncamark

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2006, 11:49:36 AM »
[quote name=\'CherryPizza\' post=\'125850\' date=\'Jul 31 2006, 11:42 PM\']
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'125841\' date=\'Jul 31 2006, 10:32 PM\']
[/quote]

Likewise, I'd like to get hold of each nation's host of Big Brother  to ask some questions about George Orwell, or his politics, or at least the basic storyline of 1984, and see which (if any) can come up with a moderately articulate response
[/quote]

Oh, Les would brief Julie about that.  :)

And are you intimating that despite her extensive bibliography, Gretel Killeen doesn't have much on the ball?  :)

clemon79

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2006, 12:28:43 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' post=\'125902\' date=\'Aug 1 2006, 08:49 AM\']
Oh, Les would brief Julie about that.  :)
[/quote]
I doubt they talk about siblings. He just asks her who her Daddy is. :)

CJBojangles

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2006, 11:30:39 AM »
[quote name=\'itiparanoid13\' post=\'125840\' date=\'Jul 31 2006, 11:30 PM\']I might be really alone in this, but I am really impressed that how Mel can bullshit her way through 2 hours without coming off as just saying "Uh, I have no idea what to do now, so just look at the flashy rotating graphics and annoying dance pop background music."[/quote]

You're not alone. She's been at this a long time, however, as seen here. She's had a lot of practice bullshitting for hours at a time. :)

I don't know of Shandi ever doing this before. I think she's been pretty impressive too in that regard.

pownster

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2006, 10:58:12 PM »
[quote name=\'CherryPizza\' post=\'125830\' date=\'Jul 31 2006, 09:15 PM\']
As of this week, all three Australian commercial TV networks are aring inane midnight-dawn programs which call themselves "game shows".

In a nutshell, the programs consist of too-perky too-sure-they-are-funny 'hosts' babbling to camera while asking people to make phone calls on 1900 numbers (meaning the show's producers profit each time someone calls) with the vain hope that their call will be put through to the host and they will be asked to solve 'puzzles' with modest cash prizes. I must say that it's hard to imagine even die-hard game show fans making an effort to watch these things regularly.

People who do the game show tape/DVD trading, would you see youselves adding these shows to your lists and/or trading episodes from your collection from them (I've never done trading, so I have no idea what to say to this one)?
[/quote]

Well, as an Aussie game show trader - I do include these shows in the genre - and would feature these shows (Up Late Game Show, Quizmania) on my site (there are "contestants" and they do have chances to win "prizes"). I will be including a small sample of these shows on my trade list - but I must agree that they are hardly the type of show you would watch on a regular basis - and frankly, I wouldn't waste my money on making a phone-call to them either. But its nice to have examples of these shows even if they are total turkeys.

As a sideline - I happened to know one of those "too-perky too-sure-they-are-funny 'hosts'" - he was best friends with my former neighbour and I went to primary and secondary school with him. Last time I saw him - he was working as a salesman for an electrical retail chain. He tried to use the "gift of the gab" to sell me a DVD recorder at a highly-inflated price.
Chris Powney

Australian Game Show Home Page

http://members.iinet.net.au/~powney/gameshow/homepage.htm

TravisP

« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2006, 05:08:34 PM »
You guys are lucky ONLY to have Playmania as its a total invasion over here, even ITV is in the act.

http://play.itv.com/
Where you can watch streaming of the channel as well. The only decent show is Quizmania (same show in Australia) also I'm surprised it hasn't reached US shores yet since Fremantle owns the rights. Particularly when Greg Scott is hosting.

http://www.gregscott.tv/
He has uploaded a compilation video of some of the best phonecalls he received.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2006, 05:08:56 PM by TravisP »