Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: 50 Greatest...Moments.  (Read 8553 times)

tvmitch

50 Greatest...Moments.
« on: July 26, 2006, 11:07:29 PM »
So this thread isn't in the GSN thread because it's more of a general discussion:

Instead of the 50 Greatest Shows of all time, what are your personal 50 (or 5) most favorite game show moments of all time? And why?

By "moment," I mean that moment in a show where you had to stop and rewind it again to watch because it was "that cool." These are moments that actually happened on a game show, and they may or may not have any special significance in the whole scheme of things.

I don't think that our lists here should be limited to US games, because I can think of a few British (Millionaire) and Australian moments (a couple huge wins on DoND, some $ale moments) that would make my list.

A couple off the top of my head:

-Doug Van Gundy's Millionaire win, because it was the first time that I or any of us saw how that show could really be life-changing (and I remember watching it on break, on a TV I brought into work, while catering)

-This one $10K win on Super Password with Bill Rafferty from 1987, because I remember that the contestant got the last 4 words with about 10 seconds left on the clock

-The "September" answer from Dawson Feud

-Chris Tarrant torturing a contestant over a question 9, a life-changing sum of money for her,  taking her from going home to answering the question, all in 4 minutes

-The big Jackpot win from 1975 that we all have in our collections, because Geoff Edwards was so good at building that tension (which takes me to the argument that he would have been unstoppable at hosting Millionaire, but that's another thread)

That's what I've got...let's hear it from everyone.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2006, 11:09:39 PM by mitchgroff »
You should follow me on Twitter

Kevin Prather

50 Greatest...Moments.
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2006, 11:19:50 PM »
Keif Ferrendini's haxxing of the Pyramid. She showed very impressive skill.

Jimmy Owen

50 Greatest...Moments.
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2006, 11:27:52 PM »
Norma breaking the bank on "Card Sharks."  Need I say why?  

The first $10,000 roll on "The Big Showdown" because I had almost given up hope of it ever happening.

Most any Winner's Circle victory on the NYC Pyramid.( I guess because we revisited them on a daily basis as the show opened.)
« Last Edit: July 26, 2006, 11:31:21 PM by Jimmy Owen »
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

BrandonFG

50 Greatest...Moments.
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2006, 12:45:48 AM »
John Carpenter's million dollar win
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

beatlefreak84

50 Greatest...Moments.
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2006, 12:46:31 AM »
Here are some I love seeing over and over again:

Billy Crystal whipping through the WC in 26 seconds; how he was able to convey "Things in a Barrel" and "Things that Wilt" in one clue is beyond me...:)

The infamous "Spin War" between Cathy and Lori on PYL; it just went for so long and had such a tragic end; even though I know what happens every time I watch it, I still cringe when Cathy hits the Whammy and loses over $31,000!

Watching the "Archie/Edith Bunker" look-alike couple on Newlywed Game get 0 points throughout the entire main game and win outright on the final question; they were hilarious throughout the entire show, but seeing the looks on their faces when Eubanks tells them they've won is priceless!

Jamaica Rose's $50,000 win on TH; I think that pretty much says it all...:)

"Lucky Suit" Hal pulling off the seemingly impossible and getting three Jokers in one spin when it looked like he was going to have to pack his bags on TJW.

I'm sure there are more, but I'll stop there...:)

Anthony
You have da Arm-ee and da Leg-ee!

Temptation Dollars:  the only accepted currency for Lots of Love™

LocalH

50 Greatest...Moments.
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2006, 12:51:05 AM »
My top 5, as of this moment in time:

* The episode of PYL where Peter puts on a "flokati rug"

* The Yolanda incident on TPiR

* The "School Riot" on MG77

* "ASSES__", from a 1986 Scrabble ep

* The classic Shatner solo WC from $10KP
« Last Edit: July 27, 2006, 12:51:26 AM by LocalH »
Scott Jones

Long-time Game Show Fan

Former Newscast Director

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
50 Greatest...Moments.
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2006, 12:52:00 AM »
[quote name=\'LocalH\' post=\'125310\' date=\'Jul 26 2006, 09:51 PM\']
* The Yolanda incident on TPiR
[/quote]
Honestly? You haven't seen enough of this the first thirty thousand times?
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

LocalH

50 Greatest...Moments.
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2006, 12:56:53 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'125311\' date=\'Jul 27 2006, 12:52 AM\']
Honestly? You haven't seen enough of this the first thirty thousand times?
[/quote]
I didn't say they were in any sort of order, just that it's there. Plus, I've never seen it in the clear, always with some sort of graphic or blur obscuring the bottom part of the frame, but I know an uncensored copy has to exist, somewhere. It's not like I sit and watch these moments over and over again, just that I thought they were funny as hell.

Plus, it's not like I have to justify my opinions or anything ;)
« Last Edit: July 27, 2006, 12:57:41 AM by LocalH »
Scott Jones

Long-time Game Show Fan

Former Newscast Director

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
50 Greatest...Moments.
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2006, 01:02:37 AM »
[quote name=\'LocalH\' post=\'125312\' date=\'Jul 26 2006, 09:56 PM\']
but I know an uncensored copy has to exist, somewhere.
[/quote]
Based on what little I saw when it was censored, I think I can say that I have no desire to see those in all of their glory.
Plus, it's not like I have to justify my opinions or anything ;)
No, that's certainly correct. I just didn't think there were any of you left.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

DJDustman

50 Greatest...Moments.
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2006, 01:04:57 AM »
Although not common among the game show community, a lady named Susan Wolf won a $61,000 jackpot on $ale and her winning reaction was priceless, great episode.

Other Moments

-From Classic Concentration, Ben intentionally loses in the winner's circle.

-Andy Cullpepper's $100,000 Pyramid Win. The guy's reaction is priceless as well.

-The Christmas/Jewish Blooper on Scrabble is another fave of mine.

-A montage of zingers from Joan Rivers on the 80's version of HS.

Casey Buck

50 Greatest...Moments.
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2006, 01:12:52 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'125313\' date=\'Jul 26 2006, 10:02 PM\'][quote name=\'LocalH\' post=\'125312\' date=\'Jul 26 2006, 09:56 PM\']but I know an uncensored copy has to exist, somewhere.
[/quote]Based on what little I saw when it was censored, I think I can say that I have no desire to see those in all of their glory.[/quote]

Ah, but there is an uncensored version...

http://70.84.119.226/~evemag/media_tpir/priceclips.htm, at the bottom of the page. Complete with slow-motion bouncing. :P

By the way, Tim Connolly (Loogaroo) had a 50 greatest GS moments page. Ah, here it is: http://web.archive.org/web/20050204133842/...50moments.shtml
« Last Edit: July 27, 2006, 01:17:22 AM by Casey Buck »

cacLA8383

50 Greatest...Moments.
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2006, 02:41:08 AM »
Here's a few personal favorites of mine:

Nancy Christy being the first female to win the $1,000,000 on the Syndicated Who Wants to be a Millionaire.

Tim Holleran's $90,000 jackpot win on Sale of the Century to win a total of $166,875 in cash and prizes.

The infamous Mosquitos incident on Scrabble.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2006, 02:42:34 AM by cacLA8383 »

Craig Karlberg

50 Greatest...Moments.
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2006, 04:02:28 AM »
Here are some of my favorittes in no particular order:

A lady says "Nipples" on Match Game.  When Gene Rayburn heard that, he got caught up in the moment & the whole audience went hysterical on it.

A lady almost got caught cheating on TPIR's Shell Game.  Barker nearly let her get away with it when she was gonna look under the shell to see if the ball was there before he emphatically disallowed that move,

Staying on TPIR, a guy in a wheelchair wins a car in Cover-Up.  That truly was a special moment for me because it shows anyone can win no matter how handicapped you are,

Rose's $50K TH win.  This was on top of her miss at $46K earlier in her run.  Geoff saying 'Jamaca mistake Rose?" was priceless.

The "Turkey" bit on Family Fortunes.  Every time I see it, I kept thinking "What was that guy smoking when he said it each time?"

BrandonFG

50 Greatest...Moments.
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2006, 07:13:26 AM »
[quote name=\'Craig Karlberg\' post=\'125322\' date=\'Jul 27 2006, 04:02 AM\']
Staying on TPIR, a guy in a wheelchair wins a car in Cover-Up.  That truly was a special moment for me because it shows anyone can win no matter how handicapped you are,[/quote]
Let's see, not only have you made offensive comments about Italians and Blacks, but now you go for the disabled. You must be so proud.
Every time I see it, I kept thinking "What was that guy smoking when he said it each time?"
I wonder the same thing about your posts.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Don Howard

50 Greatest...Moments.
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2006, 08:48:33 AM »
[quote name=\'Craig Karlberg\' post=\'125322\' date=\'Jul 27 2006, 04:02 AM\']
Rose's $50K TH win.  This was on top of her miss at $46K earlier in her run. [/quote]
The check was worth $50000 the entire time Rose was on. The miss at $46000 was presented as a clip during an episode of Rose's reign, something on the order of "don't let this happen to you" and involved a different contestant.
For me, a memorable rewinding moment was when Johnny Gilbert accidentally introduced Glen Kagen as the host of Jeopardy!

EDITED TO PROVIDE ADDITIONAL INFORMATION AFTER READING IAN's POSTING BELOW
« Last Edit: July 27, 2006, 09:42:24 AM by Don Howard »