Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: 50 Greatest...Moments.  (Read 8554 times)

Ian Wallis

50 Greatest...Moments.
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2006, 09:00:55 AM »
The infamous Mosquitos incident on Scrabble.

Just out of curiosity, does anybody have that particular episode?  I don't believe I've seen it on anybody's lists.  

The check was worth $50000 the entire time Rose was on. The miss at $46000 was presented as a clip, something on the order of "don't let this happen to you" and involved a different contestant.

GSN did air that entire $46,000 episode.  The first time was in November 1997, shortly after they added the show to their schedule.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
50 Greatest...Moments.
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2006, 10:39:25 AM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'125323\' date=\'Jul 27 2006, 04:13 AM\']
[quote name=\'Craig Karlberg\' post=\'125322\' date=\'Jul 27 2006, 04:02 AM\']
Staying on TPIR, a guy in a wheelchair wins a car in Cover-Up.  That truly was a special moment for me because it shows anyone can win no matter how handicapped you are,[/quote]
Let's see, not only have you made offensive comments about Italians and Blacks, but now you go for the disabled. You must be so proud.
[/quote]
I dunno if he really meant to be offensive, but yeah, that was kinda a Wolf Blitzer moment there.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

FOXSportsFan

50 Greatest...Moments.
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2006, 12:09:41 PM »
Better a Wolf Blitzer than a Geraldo Rivera...right?

Anyway, be glad Craig didn't call the person "handi-capable".  Besides, how hard is it to win Cover Up in a wheelchair, surely they didn't have to reach for the tiles.

Steve Gavazzi

50 Greatest...Moments.
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2006, 12:14:38 PM »
A lady almost got caught cheating on TPIR's Shell Game.  Barker nearly let her get away with it when she was gonna look under the shell to see if the ball was there before he emphatically disallowed that move,
[/quote]

I'm wondering how many times you've seen that clip, because that isn't even close to what happened in it.

rebelwrest

50 Greatest...Moments.
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2006, 05:56:21 PM »
Since we are also considering international versions of the show, I'll add these two

Deal or No Deal

Australia

Dean Cartecchini no dealing $102,500 with $200,000 and $5 left on the board

UK

Trevor Bruce's last box pick in his game

I make it a rule not to link to clips that I have seen on other sites, and do not get full credit.  However, the Australian clip comes from the same guy who runs the Australian Game Show Page, and the person who posted the UK clip gives full credit to Mike Klauss' site.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2006, 11:07:23 PM by rebelwrest »
My favorite Win Ben Stein's Money Category:

Where Am I Doc? Urinalysis Restaurant.

cweaver

50 Greatest...Moments.
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2006, 01:50:49 AM »
Here's one from "The Hollywood Squares" that I just got in a trade, I hope it counts because it doesn't involve game play:

Peter Marshall: Mary, your series is called Brothers and Sisters, and it's on another network--what night are you on, dear?  
Mary Crosby: It's on Friday, on NBC.
Peter Marshall:  Oh, it's on NBC?
Mary Crosby: Yes!
Peter Marshall: ...It's on NBC, that's probably why I didn't know about it!  (laughs nervously) Just kidding, Freddy!  

I had to watch that one two more times, I just about died.

The other famous moment from TPiR: the woman who fainted when she won her showcase.  I actually saw that one the day it first aired.

Joe (? pardon my memory) Trela winning the top prize on "Millionaire."  Carpenter whizzed right through his but Trela sweated bullets.

The guy on "Greed" who answered the question "Which of the following shows were not hosted by Chuck Woolery?" with something like "I've been following your career for some time and I'm sure it's not 'Wheel of Fortune.'"  Ouch, it's like watching a train wreck.

The one we saw at the beginning of GSN's "50 Greatest," the woman who won the $25,000 on "Treasure Hunt."  Even the producers thought that was worth seeing again.

Once on "Match Game" the rest of the panel appeared to get fed up with guest celeb Mary Ann Mobley.  During a question in which the "definitive answer" was "Fanny," Gene looks at the former Miss America and says "OK Mary Ann, show us your fanny!"  Then Brett (God love her) pipes in with something like "Go ahead dear, you've already shown it to everyone else!"

cweaver

50 Greatest...Moments.
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2006, 01:54:43 AM »
Just thought of another one:

The moment on "Twenty-One" when Charles Van Doren "defeats" Herb Stempel.  It always reminded me of the pivotal moment in a Greek tragedy.

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
50 Greatest...Moments.
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2006, 12:25:26 PM »
[quote name=\'cweaver\' post=\'125462\' date=\'Jul 28 2006, 12:50 AM\']
Here's one from "The Hollywood Squares" that I just got in a trade, I hope it counts because it doesn't involve game play:

Peter Marshall: Mary, your series is called Brothers and Sisters, and it's on another network--what night are you on, dear?  
Mary Crosby: It's on Friday, on NBC.
Peter Marshall:  Oh, it's on NBC?
Mary Crosby: Yes!
Peter Marshall: ...It's on NBC, that's probably why I didn't know about it!  (laughs nervously) Just kidding, Freddy!  
[/quote]

To me, Marshall's "Seattle Jew" blooper ranks as one of the funniest. moments. ever.

I saw a brief clip during the Congreff luncheon--but I gotta find someone who's got that episode complete.

Doug -- and the countdown to 2100 continues
« Last Edit: July 28, 2006, 12:25:42 PM by SRIV94 »
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

aaron sica

50 Greatest...Moments.
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2006, 12:56:43 PM »
[quote name=\'Steve Gavazzi\' post=\'125348\' date=\'Jul 27 2006, 12:14 PM\']
A lady almost got caught cheating on TPIR's Shell Game.  Barker nearly let her get away with it when she was gonna look under the shell to see if the ball was there before he emphatically disallowed that move,
[/quote]

I'm wondering how many times you've seen that clip, because that isn't even close to what happened in it.
[/quote]

Remember who you're replying to, Steve. :)

Kevin Prather

50 Greatest...Moments.
« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2006, 06:44:37 PM »
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' post=\'125492\' date=\'Jul 28 2006, 09:25 AM\']
To me, Marshall's "Seattle Jew" blooper ranks as one of the funniest. moments. ever.
[/quote]
Que? What was that?

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
50 Greatest...Moments.
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2006, 07:12:00 PM »
[quote name=\'whoserman\' post=\'125546\' date=\'Jul 28 2006, 05:44 PM\']
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' post=\'125492\' date=\'Jul 28 2006, 09:25 AM\']
[/quote]
Que? What was that?
[/quote]
Peter Marshall, asking Paul Lynde a question, intends to say "a tortoise at a Seattle zoo."  It, of course, comes out "Seattle Jew."  Mother McKenzie was in hysterics, as were the celebrities.  As the McKenzied laughter continues, Marshall bades Harry Friedman (then HSq writer, now J! and WoF executive producer) to join him at the podium--and Marshall points him out as a "Seattle Jew."

Funny stuff.  This ep was one of the 150 GSN had licensed, but I never was able to GIOT.  Steve Beverly, who included the clip in his tribute to Marshall during the luncheon at the Congreff, told me that the ep aired in 1977 originally--I think it's more like 1975 (and, no, I'm not using this to take a shot at SB).  But now you know. :)

Doug
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

TwoInchQuad

50 Greatest...Moments.
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2006, 12:14:27 AM »
[quote name=\'Casey Buck\' post=\'125315\' date=\'Jul 26 2006, 09:12 PM\']

By the way, Tim Connolly (Loogaroo) had a 50 greatest GS moments page. Ah, here it is: http://web.archive.org/web/20050204133842/...50moments.shtml
[/quote]

Interesting list. They blew #31, however-- the description of the 1962 Jack Benny incident on "Password" is actually an amalgam of two separate incidents of celebrities giving the work "Me" as a clue.  Benny's partner actually said "comedian"... it was Alan King's partner in 1964 who said "Ham".   And just to be a total wet blanket about the whole thing, neither audience response was anywhere near two minutes... though those **were** two of the best laughs in the history of the program.

-Kevin

Jay Temple

50 Greatest...Moments.
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2006, 12:37:35 AM »
In no particular order ...
  • 10KP 7/4/75: Lucie Arnaz v. Anson Williams, final score 45-44 (A slightly lower-scoring game is on the trading circuit.)
  • Shatner's reaction to blowing the last category on 20KP
  • Keif Farrendini wins $100KP giving the clues
  • Sherri Shepard v. Eric Roberts, Donnymid: Sherri scores 0/6 in first round and wins the game in regulation.
  • the spin-a-thon on PYL
  • the $1 win on J!
  • John Carpenter's win on WWTBAM
  • Berry Gordy is the central character on TTTT. (I haven't seen it, but I heard the audio clip.)
  • Kitty Carlisle's and Joe Garagiola's sons are the impostors on TTTT.
  • the "September" incident on FF
  • the Woolery question on Greed
And am I right that, as Governor of Georgia, Jimmy Carter was a Mystery Guest on WML and stumped the panel--when they weren't blindfolded?
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

cweaver

50 Greatest...Moments.
« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2006, 03:08:05 AM »
[quote name=\'Jay Temple\' post=\'125587\' date=\'Jul 28 2006, 11:37 PM\']
And am I right that, as Governor of Georgia, Jimmy Carter was a Mystery Guest on WML and stumped the panel--when they weren't blindfolded?
[/quote]

I believe someone took a wild guess at the end of the game and guessed he was the governor of a state.  But no one guessed Jimmy Carter by name or even Georgia, as far as I remember.  It's definitely true they weren't blindfolded, he signed in as "Mr. X."

Edit: by the way, the classic moment from this episode was when panelist Brenda Vaccaro thought with his smile, he might be a "recruiter for nuns."  (Even funnier when you realize he was a Southern Baptist Sunday school teacher.)
« Last Edit: July 29, 2006, 03:10:44 AM by cweaver »

JakeT

50 Greatest...Moments.
« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2006, 04:00:04 AM »
[quote name=\'cweaver\' post=\'125598\' date=\'Jul 29 2006, 02:08 AM\']
[Edit: by the way, the classic moment from this episode was when panelist Brenda Vaccaro thought with his smile, he might be a "recruiter for nuns."  (Even funnier when you realize he was a Southern Baptist Sunday school teacher.)
[/quote]

I hope I'm not putting my foot in my mouth but didn't that particular guess come from Dana Vallery rather than Ms. Vaccaro?

JT