Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Pay or No Pay?  (Read 4084 times)

dzinkin

Pay or No Pay?
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2006, 09:15:40 PM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' post=\'125698\' date=\'Jul 30 2006, 09:03 PM\']
Maybe when the government is ready to make upper education a priority, instead of an asinine war in Iraq...I'd be willing to change my position.
[/quote]
Some of us on this board will agree that the war is asinine.  Some of us (yours truly included) believe that the war was necessary but that the way it's been handled is asinine.  I can guarantee that significant numbers from both groups will agree that "we shouldn't pay income tax because we're at war in Iraq" is asinine.

Fair warning to all: this will not degenerate into a debate on the Iraq war, George W. Bush, Hillary Clinton, or the love child of Condi Rice and John Conyers should one exist.  This is not Free Republic or Democratic Underground.  (So sayeth the GOPer who's helping a Dem's campaign. ;-)
« Last Edit: July 30, 2006, 09:16:05 PM by dzinkin »

rebelwrest

Pay or No Pay?
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2006, 10:00:25 PM »
I am a very political person, but I will not make a personal opinion because I would have to make it a long, complicated argument about intelligence, taxes, and government investment.

However back to the point of taxes on game show winnings.  It seems that the UK contestants gets their winnings in full, but I would like to know how that is.  Is it law that all winnings on game shows are tax free or is it that producers have to pay the taxes for the contestant?
My favorite Win Ben Stein's Money Category:

Where Am I Doc? Urinalysis Restaurant.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Pay or No Pay?
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2006, 10:13:55 PM »
[quote name=\'dzinkin\' post=\'125703\' date=\'Jul 30 2006, 06:15 PM\']
Fair warning to all: this will not degenerate into a debate on the Iraq war, George W. Bush, Hillary Clinton, or the love child of Condi Rice and John Conyers should one exist.  
[/quote]
You have no worry of that from me. I know when I've heard enough.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Brandon Brooks

Pay or No Pay?
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2006, 10:16:18 PM »
[quote name=\'dzinkin\' post=\'125703\' date=\'Jul 30 2006, 08:15 PM\']
Fair warning to all: this will not degenerate into a debate... the love child of Condi Rice and John Conyers should one exist.
[/quote]
There is no debate.  That would be moi.

(Just want to bring some levity... Please don't give me the prize.)

Brandon Brooks
« Last Edit: July 30, 2006, 10:18:33 PM by Brandon Brooks »

pownster

Pay or No Pay?
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2006, 10:49:07 PM »
It seems that the UK contestants gets their winnings in full, but I would like to know how that is. Is it law that all winnings on game shows are tax free or is it that producers have to pay the taxes for the contestant?

Well -c oming from another country that receives all winnings tax-free, I believe it is the show producers that wear the tab for the taxes on the money. Surely - when a network decides to offer money up in a game show - they would do the sums and determine how much money they could afford to put forward as a prize for the contestants.

That said, our lottery prizes are tax-free also, but we pay tax upon purchase of the lottery ticket. That's what helps pay for the prizes .

Chris.
Chris Powney

Australian Game Show Home Page

http://members.iinet.net.au/~powney/gameshow/homepage.htm

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Pay or No Pay?
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2006, 11:48:02 PM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' post=\'125698\' date=\'Jul 30 2006, 06:03 PM\']
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'125677\' date=\'Jul 30 2006, 01:10 PM\']
You have just as many government services available to you as your elders do. Why shouldn't you pay your part?

(I can't wait to hear the answer to this one...)
[/quote]
Yeah, well, when you're sitting with $30,000 in student loans, and you have a $6/work study job...every dollar counts.[/quote] I understand your predicament, but student loans are just one of many loans that you'll undertake in life, and that $6 work study job should lend itself to higher-level opportunities down the way. That's one of the trades that you make when you go to school; mortgaging the money you don't have today so your earning power will increase later on.

Maybe when the government is ready to make upper education a priority, instead of an asinine war in Iraq...I'd be willing to change my position.
How did your senator/representative vote on the resolution? If you don't like it, don't vote for that person again. Saying "I don't think we should have to pay taxes because I don't like where the money goes" is like saying "I'm going to drive 90 on the freeway because I don't like the local police force." It's a fallacious position.

Government does not have the responsibility of educating everyone in the country to the point where they can earn $57,300 a year at a cushy job. Personally, I don't think they should be educating anyone. The money could be put to use elsewhere. People would not have to stay in school if they didn't want to, and those who do want to will stick around, and the resulting product will be that much better.
Travis L. Eberle

Robert Hutchinson

Pay or No Pay?
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2006, 02:27:05 AM »
Just a minor, and I hope non-controversial point: it can be argued that at least some of the blame for $30,000 tuitions can be placed on the attention the government has already "paid" to higher education.
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin