Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: all new strike it rich question  (Read 5677 times)

Jeremy Nelson

all new strike it rich question
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2006, 10:06:00 AM »
I remember us having this same problem not too long ago...

http://gameshow.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=10855&hl=

At least it was handled a bit better this time.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

ITSBRY

« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2006, 10:07:05 AM »
[quote name=\'dazztardly\' post=\'125577\' date=\'Jul 28 2006, 10:57 PM\']
It's very agitating[and embarrassing especially when we have people like Jennings visiting this board] when I click this thread and the first response to the message is a putdown or a flame. Even if the start of a topic itself is absurd, JUST LEAVE IT ALONE and save your breath for a response worth merit to the subject.
[/quote]
Well said! I've read some threads recently that made me feel the same way. This board is not very welcoming of newcomers sometimes and I think that's quite sad.

I always wonder why people feel the need to publicly lecture others. As far as I know, that's why this board has mods. If it IS a troll posting, leaving it alone is the fastest way to kill it. If it's not, the mods can educate newcomers on what's proper and what's not. At the very least, we can give constructive advice rather than just berating people that don't post things the way we think they should.

Have said all that, I do agree that courtesy should be extended to everyone reading the board and that includes using basic grammar skills when you post. As Matt pointed out, it is easier to read a sentence that's properly constructed and folks that do this will get taken more seriously.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2006, 10:16:38 AM by ITSBRY »

curtking

« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2006, 10:34:17 AM »
[quote name=\'ITSBRY\' post=\'125611\' date=\'Jul 29 2006, 09:07 AM\']
Well said! I've read some threads recently that made me feel the same way. This board is not very welcoming of newcomers sometimes and I think that's quite sad.
[/quote]
I disagree.  I think this board welcomes anyone who's willing to play by a few simple rules:

1. The world -- and this board -- doesn't owe you anything.  Note that Matt O tried to help our new poster and his response was "...so sue me. I just want my question answered..."

2. Proper Decent punctuation and grammar are expected.  Anything less is a sign that you don't respect the other posters enough to make yourself clear.

3. Lurk before you post.  Try to get a feel for the board before you jump in with "i reeally need the theme to blockbusters 87 can someone plz post this?"

Are the consequences harsh for those who aren't willing to abide by these rules?  Sometimes.  But I don't think we demand anything on this board that society doesn't demand in real life.

Curt

PYLW

« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2006, 02:07:39 PM »
On the grammar subject: Honestly, no matter how many times you're going to say "ARGH SPELL AND USE BETTER GRAMMAR!", they're more than likely not going to change. Take me for example. For the longest time, I've never had neat handwriting, because I don't write the same way a normal person would. I only use my index finger and my thumb. ALL of my teachers used to whine and whine about it, and try to correct me on my handwriting and how I write? Guess what? It never worked. I'd get so bored and give up. So now, I still write with my two fingers only, but now everyone always asks why my handwriting is so nice. :)

My point? It doesn't matter how many times you tell someone to do something like, spell better. They probably won't listen or even care enough...I however agree with the "lurk before you post" rule.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2006, 02:36:29 PM »
[quote name=\'PYLW\' post=\'125620\' date=\'Jul 29 2006, 11:07 AM\']
My point? It doesn't matter how many times you tell someone to do something like, spell better. They probably won't listen or even care enough...I however agree with the "lurk before you post" rule.
[/quote]
Okay. But that doesn't mean we should dumb ourselves down to tolerate it. That whole AOL-ification-of-the-Internet thing I've been railing against for years now.

And I'll say it again: if you don't care enough about what you're saying to take a moment to make it presentable, why should I care enough about it to read it and respond to it in a courteous fashion?
« Last Edit: July 29, 2006, 03:02:50 PM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

clemon79

« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2006, 02:55:55 PM »
[quote name=\'parliboy\' post=\'125606\' date=\'Jul 29 2006, 02:58 AM\']
Wildly Offtopic, not that it wasn't already: what games do you generally see in your rotation (just for compare / contrast).  I tend to do my heavy gaming (if heavy is defined as Power Grid) on Saturday rather than Friday, with Thursday for playtest night.  Tonight was just relaxing at BSW.
[/quote]
Oh, we're a fairly big group (probably 15-20 on a given night), so we see everything. I prefer lighter fare (I usually don't get a lot heavier than Puerto Rico), but I've been known to play Power Grid once in a blue moon. We have the grognards in the corner playing Axis & Allies and the Seven Hours For Seven Ages-type game and stuff like that, we have the people who like heavier stuff playing Caylus and Power Grid and Euphrat & Tigris (okay, E&T probably isn't heavy to most, but it is to me :)), and we have the party game crew playing Taboo or Time's Up (or that new instant classic, Tie One On ;)). And occasionally the completely goofy dexterity games will come out. And people drift from one group to another over the course of the night.

Just to give an idea, last night, I played Thurn und Taxis, Tichu (I ALWAYS play Tichu if I can on a Friday), Big Boss, and Maus Nach Haus, 'cuz I spent a good amount of time chatting with friends instead of gaming. I remember seeing Runebound, Ra, Blue Moon City, E&T, Tycoon, and Chronology on the tables.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2006, 02:56:28 PM by clemon79 »

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2006, 04:08:35 PM »
[quote name=\'ITSBRY\' post=\'125611\' date=\'Jul 29 2006, 10:07 AM\'] This board is not very welcoming of newcomers sometimes and I think that's quite sad.[/quote]
Naturally, I strongly disagree with that statement.  I believe this board is extremely welcoming of newcomers who write in complete sentences and exhibit at least an approximation of normal behavior.  A lot of newcomers do not exhibit those basic traits and yes, this board is probably harder on them than other boards might be.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

clemon79

« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2006, 04:13:27 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'125626\' date=\'Jul 29 2006, 01:08 PM\']
A lot of newcomers do not exhibit those basic traits
[/quote]
Newcomers? :)

dzinkin

« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2006, 10:47:12 PM »
[quote name=\'ITSBRY\' post=\'125611\' date=\'Jul 29 2006, 10:07 AM\']
This board is not very welcoming of newcomers sometimes and I think that's quite sad.
[/quote]
Like Matt, I strongly disagree.  My co-moderator covered it pretty well, and I will add only this: there is a world of difference between someone who violates a rule or custom of this board because he's new, and someone who does so because he's decided that the rules and customs don't, or at least shouldn't, apply to him.  We still get more of the former than we should (whatever happened to lurking for a while before posting, anyway?), but most of us don't hurl everything at these posters when they screw up, and those who do are chastised by us or by fellow members far more often than not.

The ones who decide that they don't have to behave as everyone else does are criticized, partly out of annoyance but partly in the hope that said posters will eventually take the hint.  Some don't and either leave (STYDfan/CarShark) or are banned (adamjk), but enough do take the hint (see: Kevin/"whoserman," Chris Jackson) that we're loath to rein in the criticism.

ITSBRY

« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2006, 10:50:22 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'125626\' date=\'Jul 29 2006, 04:08 PM\']
[quote name=\'ITSBRY\' post=\'125611\' date=\'Jul 29 2006, 10:07 AM\'] This board is not very welcoming of newcomers sometimes and I think that's quite sad.[/quote]
Naturally, I strongly disagree with that statement.  I believe this board is extremely welcoming of newcomers who write in complete sentences and exhibit at least an approximation of normal behavior.  A lot of newcomers do not exhibit those basic traits and yes, this board is probably harder on them than other boards might be.
[/quote]

Let me clarify...I didn't mean to imply that in general we're not welcoming to newcomers. That's why I said "sometimes". What I was trying to convey was that if someone is a newcomer that is not posting in a way that's pleasing, they're many times blasted on a "first offense".

My intent was just to say that the board may feel more welcoming if people are mentored rather than chided or belittled. Many times, I get the feeling that it may be someone who is young and may simply just not know what conduct this group expects. Matt's response and suggestions for behavior that's less likely to be criticized was excellent. Exactly what I thought was a proper and respectful response.

That's all... ;)
« Last Edit: July 29, 2006, 11:03:10 PM by ITSBRY »

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2006, 10:54:47 PM »
In answer to the question...

When a bandit is hit, they only lose prizes if they are being risked as they move across the arch. Otherwise, they simply return to the starting point where they left off from the previous turn[or at the beginning of the game].

Off-note to the topic:
I honestly could care less about "etiquette", more than I do relevance in the content pertaining to the messageboard itself. It's very agitating[and embarrassing especially when we have people like Jennings visiting this board] when I click this thread and the first response to the message is a putdown or a flame. Even if the start of a topic itself is absurd, JUST LEAVE IT ALONE and save your breath for a response worth merit to the subject.

-Dan Berger
FLASHGames²
http://www.flashgameshows.com
[/quote]

Oh, be quiet, Berger. Just because you couldn't run a message board that was barely the caliber of the GSN boards doesn't mean you have the right to criticize.

If you don't like it, get to steppin' and get the hell out.

I'm gonna weigh in on the grammar debate here- I live by this rule: if you're online chatting with people, rules of grammar do not necessarily need to be applied (if you feel you have to or want to speak in proper sentences, more power to you). But if you're posting on a message board for others to see you should, and it's common courtesy to, use proper grammar in posting. If you're asked to do it, and you don't do it, and you continue to keep it going, you're just doing it for spite and you shouldn't be surprised if people continue to dump on you for it.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2006, 11:01:20 PM by PYLdude »
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

gamenut

« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2006, 12:57:53 AM »
Okay let me try this again I am typing this on a word processor program with spell check.
So here’s my question again.
On strike it rich when a contestant hits a bandit what happens other than losing the prizes? Do they lose the prizes, lose the prizes, and go back to the start, or none of the above.

I pray to dear god that i've done this right

Brandon Brooks

« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2006, 01:39:00 AM »
[quote name=\'gamenut\' post=\'125650\' date=\'Jul 29 2006, 11:57 PM\']
Okay let me try this again I am typing this on a word processor program with spell check.
So here’s my question again.
On strike it rich when a contestant hits a bandit what happens other than losing the prizes? Do they lose the prizes, lose the prizes, and go back to the start, or none of the above.

I pray to dear god that i've done this right
[/quote]
Eh, it ain't perfect, but that doesn't really matter.  You've made some sort of effort to show that you can create a complete thought, and that's really all I care about.  

Brandon Brooks

dazztardly

« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2006, 08:45:03 AM »
[quote name=\'PYLdude\' post=\'125644\' date=\'Jul 29 2006, 09:54 PM\']
In answer to the question...

When a bandit is hit, they only lose prizes if they are being risked as they move across the arch. Otherwise, they simply return to the starting point where they left off from the previous turn[or at the beginning of the game].

Off-note to the topic:
I honestly could care less about "etiquette", more than I do relevance in the content pertaining to the messageboard itself. It's very agitating[and embarrassing especially when we have people like Jennings visiting this board] when I click this thread and the first response to the message is a putdown or a flame. Even if the start of a topic itself is absurd, JUST LEAVE IT ALONE and save your breath for a response worth merit to the subject.

-Dan Berger
FLASHGames²
[/quote]

Oh, be quiet, Berger. Just because you couldn't run a message board that was barely the caliber of the GSN boards doesn't mean you have the right to criticize.

If you don't like it, get to steppin' and get the hell out.

I'm gonna weigh in on the grammar debate here- I live by this rule: if you're online chatting with people, rules of grammar do not necessarily need to be applied (if you feel you have to or want to speak in proper sentences, more power to you). But if you're posting on a message board for others to see you should, and it's common courtesy to, use proper grammar in posting. If you're asked to do it, and you don't do it, and you continue to keep it going, you're just doing it for spite and you shouldn't be surprised if people continue to dump on you for it.
[/quote]

Usually I try to avoid replying to these kind of messages as such, but I'm going to make an exception. And I will be as delicate in my wording as possible.

PYLDude, let me give it to you straight. it's funny you had the audacity to even butt in this thread, seeing how we had to ban you from "our then" board. Awhile back I had searched the archives of Game Show Forum, it's seem like you had taken every opportunity you could to diss our forums. Sour grapes? Spite?

I'm sorry that it came down to it PYLDude, but you don't see us taken potshots at you. And you know very well what you posted on our boards as well as your actions that angered us, that resulted in the corrective actions taken by our staff. There was absolutely ZERO justification in your "doings". #1 - They were selfish, and #2 - even more importantly, they were unfair to other visitors of our website.

PYLDude, I'm sure you're a very nice person. But we take very high priority with our visitors. If at anytime there are negative issues that we feel are detrimental to our visitors, then proper procedures will be taken to eliminate and resolve these negative issues by any means necessary.

Now with all that said, give it a rest. If I really wanted to, I could go into details of what you posted. I in fact have all the ammo that I need from the archives of the old FG² board, containing the herein content of what you posted. And if I had the urge, all it takes is a simple cut and paste. And you're going to look silly. But I won't. I have too much respect to resort to the means of airing out dirty laundry.

So with all that said, move on.

-Dan Berger
FLASHGames²
« Last Edit: July 30, 2006, 08:51:52 AM by dazztardly »

dzinkin

« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2006, 10:28:45 AM »
[quote name=\'dazztardly\' post=\'125663\' date=\'Jul 30 2006, 08:45 AM\']
So with all that said, move on.
[/quote]
Sounds good to me.  You've said your piece and PYLdude has said his.

To anyone else who may choose to make a similar complaint or inquiry: how other people run their boards is their decision, not ours.