Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: joker... Joker... and Syndication  (Read 10029 times)

Ian Wallis

joker... Joker... and Syndication
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2006, 04:16:09 PM »
Of course, the "as you know" part would look pretty strange in the 1st episode of a series.

That's why my post was kind of a joke.  Pat Finn, on the first episode of Joker's Wild 1990, stated "as you know, The Joker's Wild is a game of definitions".  

It was the first episode - how were we supposed to know that?  :)
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

cmjb13

« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2006, 05:11:02 PM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' post=\'125792\' date=\'Jul 31 2006, 03:53 PM\']
Of course TJW has to have a new format. It's 2006. Change is expected. It may not be good, but it has to be new in order to be exciting.

Certainly it should be updated for the new mellenium, but I just hope the host doesn't state on the first episode that "...as you know, The Joker's Wild is a game of..." (fill in the blank)  :)
[/quote]
Speaking of hosts, does Sony go with a name or an unknown?
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

dzinkin

« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2006, 05:42:59 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'125768\' date=\'Jul 31 2006, 12:02 PM\']
(That said, I would guess that if he's working with King World on it now, that work isn't being done gratis, and whatever he's making for that is 100% more than I've ever gotten paid for working in the game-show industry...)
[/quote]
And 100% more than he made from his DOS games.  Speaking of which, maybe he'll send King World a copy of his TJW game with a note saying, "This is how you do it" so we don't go through another '90-like debacle. :-)

Props to John for getting as far as he has.  Let's hope that CL goes all the way to air... and stays there for a good long time.

ITSBRY

« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2006, 08:09:04 PM »
[quote name=\'FOXSportsFan\' post=\'125755\' date=\'Jul 31 2006, 11:16 AM\']
Over a decade of work has paid off it seems, congrats JRJ.
[/quote]

Let me second that. Look forward to seeing this! No matter what happens...you deserve a great amount of respect for making it this far. Best of luck.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2006, 08:18:38 PM by ITSBRY »

Timsterino

« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2006, 08:54:04 PM »
Congratulations, John! It is awesome to see a fellow fan's years of work on a project possibly reach fruition. To be working with Harry Friedman, one of the best in the industry, is a definite plus.

Good luck to you and Combination Lock!

As far as the other show goes, wow. I loved TJW and I am cautiously looking forward to a new version.

Tim :-)

TimK2003

« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2006, 09:15:05 PM »
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' post=\'125775\' date=\'Jul 31 2006, 11:33 AM\']
After working with John on a daily basis in recent months, I can tell you he is a creative, competent and dedicated worker, a quality human being, and a trusted friend. I voiced the original "Combination Lock" presentation many moons ago and have had the chance to see John tenaciously nurture his creation and nurture his relationships to where he has accomplished the nearly impossible.

I suggest that happiness is the appropriate emotion, as John's success to this point offers encouragement for all of us with dreams beyond our grasp, and may in some small way have helped pave a road for all of us. Watching further success with "Combination Lock" and the other aces up John's sleeve will only make me smile wider.

Congrats, buddy!

Randy
tvrandywest.com
[/quote]
Sounds like Mr. West is actively pursuing another announcing job next Fall ;-)

Seriously, to all involved with not only John's project, but also those involved with the other half of the new KW block, more power to you.  Any first run alternatives to  Mary "And I was there" Hart and the Pat Brothers (Sajak & O'Brien) in early prime would surely be appreciated. :-P
« Last Edit: July 31, 2006, 09:22:58 PM by TimK2003 »

toddyo

« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2006, 12:39:28 AM »
Any idea who the writers for TJW will be?  I know of a former Cincinnatian who worked for QUBE and then wrote questions for the 90 version.

dazztardly

« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2006, 01:36:14 AM »
[quote name=\'toddyo\' post=\'125849\' date=\'Jul 31 2006, 11:39 PM\']
Any idea who the writers for TJW will be?  I know of a former Cincinnatian who worked for QUBE and then wrote questions for the 90 version.
[/quote]

I honestly don't have a single clue. But I hope Gary Johnson will have participation in the writing department with either of these two projects.

-Dan Berger
FLASHGames²
http://www.flashgameshows.com

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2006, 02:21:12 AM »
[quote name=\'TimK2003\' post=\'125824\' date=\'Jul 31 2006, 09:15 PM\']

Seriously, to all involved with not only John's project, but also those involved with the other half of the new KW block, more power to you.  Any first run alternatives to  Mary "And I was there" Hart and the Pat Brothers (Sajak & O'Brien) in early prime would surely be appreciated. :-P
[/quote]

Well, since all of the above mentioned shows (including the new game block) are distributed by divisions of Paramount/Viacom, upsetting the status quo is probably not the first priority.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

ilb4ever2000

« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2006, 03:07:28 AM »
[quote name=\'Timsterino\' post=\'125823\' date=\'Jul 31 2006, 08:54 PM\']As far as the other show goes, wow. I loved TJW and I am cautiously looking forward to a new version.[/quote]

I just hope it's not Fremantle Card Sharks Redux.

Craig Karlberg

« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2006, 03:54:30 AM »
Like Tim, I'm cautiously anticipating TJW's new version.  It could bring back part of its classic elements along with some other new things.

As for CL, very happy to hear Ricci's "pet" project is almost ready to go.  Even though it's still in development, it's nice to know we now have a "working" title & a format(subject to change of course) to go with it.  He deserves all the luck he can get especially with Friedman running things on the EP side of the ledger certainly doesn't hurt.

uncamark

« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2006, 11:43:19 AM »
I'm hoping that Friedman will keep the basic format and just pretty it up to make it look 2006.  I suspect that the major tweaking will be to have a game play out in a half-hour, so they can avoid straddling.  (I have doubts about whether there'll be returning champs, but that could still happen.)

KW's first natural target would be the CBS-owned stations.  Since WBBM's still quadruple-pumping (yes, I said quadruple-pumping) "Judge Judy" every afternoon--and they haven't announced any pickups for this coming season--there's room for new shows in the afternoon and "TJW" and "Lock" could do it.

gtbecbp

« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2006, 11:52:20 AM »
A good, solid, quiz ( and slots) based bonus might improve The Joker's Wild quite a bit.  Barry's bonus rounds lacked creativity, as they all basically involved dumb luck.  Not to sat that "Face The Devil" was bad, it just had no element of quiz.  This is in sharp contrast with Goodson's formats, which usually should not be changed, as they were done right the first time.

Congrats to John, as well!

Ben

Gus

« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2006, 05:39:16 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' post=\'125900\' date=\'Aug 1 2006, 11:43 AM\']
I'm hoping that Friedman will keep the basic format and just pretty it up to make it look 2006.  I suspect that the major tweaking will be to have a game play out in a half-hour, so they can avoid straddling.  (I have doubts about whether there'll be returning champs, but that could still happen.)
[/quote]

This is, of course, assuming that this will recognizeably resemble the 1972-1986 format, but if these shows are going out in some sort of order, as most syndicated shows nowadays are whether there's continuity required beetween episodes or not, then I think there's nothing wrong with straddling, and therefore with returning champs. Even if they are dead-set against straddling, I think the solution there would be to do it WOF-style and play until time runs out, rather than play to a set score. I don't remember how long the games usually lasted on the old program, but if things are done speedily, they *might* even be able to eke out two front games and two bonuses per episode.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2006, 05:43:55 PM by Gus »

TimK2003

« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2006, 08:53:14 PM »
[quote name=\'Gus\' post=\'125937\' date=\'Aug 1 2006, 04:39 PM\']
Even if they are dead-set against straddling, I think the solution there would be to do it WOF-style and play until time runs out, rather than play to a set score. I don't remember how long the games usually lasted on the old program, but if things are done speedily, they *might* even be able to eke out two front games and two bonuses per episode.
[/quote]

If they just keep playing until time runs out, then that would pretty much take out the "instant win" aspect from the game.  The element of coming up with three jokers and correctly answering a question to win -- regardless of where you were in the scoring -- was unique and shuldn't be tampered with.

And I never did like how TJW '90 would "loosen" the slots as the game went on to stay close with the allotted time for the self-contained shows.  If you had a good player(s), the show could (and occasionally did) have a boatload of time to fill.  Poor players and you've got a show that looks like an old tape from a Video Editing 101 class in college.

If KW was smart, they would either go like the old Match Game's where games would straddle midweek, but stretch or shrink to fit by the end of Friday's ep, or go the way of Millionaire where straddling is OK.