Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Text2Win on WPIX-TV  (Read 1162 times)

davemackey

Text2Win on WPIX-TV
« on: August 08, 2006, 09:23:00 AM »
I saw a little of "Text2Win" last night on the WB11 in NYC. It seemed like the poor girl was pulling teeth to get people to call in to figure out a five letter word that ends in S and has the letters L, I, V, and E as part of it (it turns out the "word" was ELVIS).

I don't know how much on-air promotion WB11 has been doing for this show; I did see one ad yesterday afternoon during a rerun of "What I Like About You".

The prizes are bigger than "Playmania": the two games I saw (the other was a scrambled word which turned out to be COCKTAIL) had a $500 prize for the lucky winner. But the production values look like one of those "Text JOKE to 66266" commercials that constantly run on the station.

Might watch again tonight and try to get some late summer fun money.

gsfan85

Text2Win on WPIX-TV
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2006, 10:38:22 AM »
Hey everyone,

I watched the show too.  I didn't realize it was a lot like the Text Joke commercials until you said that, but as far as production value, I think PlayMania is much better.  Keep in mind that this is also local.  

It seems that all these shows just get people to spend money on text messages.  It seems a bit odd that the only phone calls they get are only when they put a clock on the screen, usually at the very end of the clock just about to hit zero.  This is identical to what they do with "The Mint" and "QuizMania" and all those shows in the UK.  Get tons of people to call the 900 number, tell them to try again, and take a call at the very end of the clock.

I'm wondering how Midnight Money Madness will be,
Adam

Johnissoevil

Text2Win on WPIX-TV
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2006, 02:15:27 AM »
Well, they say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.  Although I'm not sure that GSN is too flattered that Tribune is doing some PlayMania ripoff on one of their stations...
In loving memory of my father, Curtis Fenner 4/29/44-8/13/15