Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The most exciting million+ dollar win?  (Read 4616 times)

MSTieScott

• Executive Producer
The most exciting million+ dollar win?
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2006, 12:03:23 PM »
I also vote for Joe Trela. Those last five questions... That's the only time I've been drained watching a game show at home.

And while I thought John Carpenter got lucky to get the stack he did, I thought his Phone-a-Friend usage was pretty funny. In my opinion, there have been multiple "Millionaire" wins more exciting than his, but I didn't hate him.

--
Scott Robinson

Patrick S

« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2006, 02:48:53 PM »
[quote name=\'Craig Karlberg\' post=\'126871\' date=\'Aug 10 2006, 04:26 AM\']
even though Stephenie from Winning Lines came oh so close if she hadb't bailed with a couple seconds left.  
[/quote]

Are you thinking of Catherine Rahm (from the first episode)?  Yeah; I still watch that ep with a grimace on my face.  She knew the $1,000,000 answer and had a pit stop!  Yet she still bailed out.  Shame on Dick Clark for not reminding her about the pit stop.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2006, 03:34:38 PM »
[quote name=\'Patrick S\' post=\'126929\' date=\'Aug 10 2006, 11:48 AM\']
Are you thinking of Catherine Rahm (from the first episode)?  
[/quote]
Yes. You'll find Karlberg does this a lot. Stick around a little longer and you'll figure out why.
Shame on Dick Clark for not reminding her about the pit stop.
With four seconds left? Uh, no.

She had that information in front of her on her screen, and for Dick to try to blurt out "You still have a pitstop!" would only confuse her, and if done wrong in the heat of the moment (as in "Use your pitstop!") would have been a BIG hosting nono, and very likely a C&P violation. (Might have even been in violation of the policy I'm sure Celador took out in case they had to pay out the million, too.)

And ultimately, it's the player's job to be aware of their situation. I realize he did it during other times in the Wonderwall as a courtesy, but it was just that, a courtesy.

With ten seconds? Yeah, maybe I can see it. MAYBE. With four? No way.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Patrick S

« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2006, 05:36:55 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'126943\' date=\'Aug 10 2006, 03:34 PM\']
And ultimately, it's the player's job to be aware of their situation. I realize he did it during other times in the Wonderwall as a courtesy, but it was just that, a courtesy.

With ten seconds? Yeah, maybe I can see it. MAYBE. With four? No way.
[/quote]

A good host is always "courteous".  And since it was the final question, Clark should have just said "What chocolate company is located in San Francisco?  Remember you have a pit stop".  It wouldn't have even taken 2 seconds to blurt that out.  Catherine was a smart person.  I don't think she'd have gotten confused that easily.  Anyway, maybe I'm just annoyed that she had the million in her grasp and didn't get it, and am trying to shift the blame.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2006, 06:32:38 PM »
[quote name=\'Patrick S\' post=\'126961\' date=\'Aug 10 2006, 02:36 PM\']
A good host is always "courteous".  
[/quote]
TELL me you're not suggesting Dick Clark is a bad host. God, please, with nine posts under your belt, TELL me you're not making that accusation.

"Courtesy", in this case, is "not potentially confusing your contestant with four seconds left and a million bucks on the line."
And since it was the final question, Clark should have just said "What chocolate company is located in San Francisco?  Remember you have a pit stop".
Ever host a game show? He's trying to juggle a lot of thoughts during that time, he knows the clock is running low, and he's also trying to deal with the adrenaline of his VERY FIRST CONTESTANT almost winning the whole damned thing. And if we know anything about Dick Clark, it's that he empathizes with his contestants.

Man, I'm sorry, but I'm just not going to crucify Clark for not thinking to do something that really wasn't even part of his job requirements at that moment.
It wouldn't have even taken 2 seconds to blurt that out.
And with four remaining, that's an eternity. Again: you try it.
Anyway, maybe I'm just annoyed that she had the million in her grasp and didn't get it, and am trying to shift the blame.
Sure seems like it. You're doing an awful lot of armchair hosting here from the benefit of hindsight.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2006, 06:34:03 PM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

gwarman2005

« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2006, 09:33:46 PM »
[quote name=\'Scott\' post=\'126816\' date=\'Aug 9 2006, 11:01 PM\']
Kevin Olmstead's $2.18 Mil win when Millionaire had its progressive jackpot gets my vote.
[/quote]

This is my vote as well.  Remember how his face lit up when the final question came up?  That's a true blue feel good moment for the guy.

Don Howard

« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2006, 09:11:48 AM »
[quote name=\'Patrick S\' post=\'126929\' date=\'Aug 10 2006, 02:48 PM\']
Are you thinking of Catherine Rahm (from the first episode)?  Yeah; I still watch that ep with a grimace on my face.  She knew the $1,000,000 answer and had a pit stop!  Yet she still bailed out.  Shame on Dick Clark for not reminding her about the pit stop.
[/quote]
Catherine Rahm was at Congrefs III (not to be confused with GSC-3) and when questioned about this, she told me the taping session went hours upon hours and when you combine the fatigue with the lights and the cameras and the heat of the moment, you don't always make perfect judgment calls. After bailing out, she said she realized what she'd done, but had $500,000 so she lost not one wink of sleep.
Before the Wonderwall portion of Winning Lines would begin, Dick Clark would tell the player that he would keep him/her posted as to pit stop information, etc. "as best I can". And he did. And he was awesome. Neither Bill Cullen, Todd Russell nor Blake Emmons could have done better.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2006, 09:13:47 AM by Don Howard »