Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: GSN's July ratings  (Read 3943 times)

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
GSN's July ratings
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2006, 01:12:45 AM »
Hey, they gained 9,000 households and scored their top ratings of the year.  That's not bad (4% increase from May and 23% increase from April).  It's not exponential growth, but it's growth nonetheless.  250 by the end of the year is not out of the realm of possibility.

Consider this: in terms of HH, GSN is where you would think a second/third-tier cable station would be.  In terms of ratings, it's beating MSNBC and The Weather Channel, which I would consider to be some amount of accomplishment.
This signature is currently under construction.

uncamark

GSN's July ratings
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2006, 12:42:05 PM »
[quote name=\'Joe Mello\' post=\'127448\' date=\'Aug 15 2006, 12:12 AM\']
Hey, they gained 9,000 households and scored their top ratings of the year.  That's not bad (4% increase from May and 23% increase from April).  It's not exponential growth, but it's growth nonetheless.  250 by the end of the year is not out of the realm of possibility.

Consider this: in terms of HH, GSN is where you would think a second/third-tier cable station would be.  In terms of ratings, it's beating MSNBC and The Weather Channel, which I would consider to be some amount of accomplishment.
[/quote]

Yeah, GSN is never going to be number one in the prime time cable ratings for an evening, either in households or target demos.  One would think that Cronin does realize this and would rather work to enrich the niche and try to get it younger, if he can.  But no GSN show is going to pull in 4 million homes in one shot and they shouldn't even try.

Also, as others have pointed out, they've been a follower instead of a leader when it comes to anything outside of the mainline game genre, with the exception of "Playmania."  If they could, it would be time to find something else besides call-in-and-lose live interactive quizzes that they could be an innovator on, but I don't know if there is something out there, even modest, that could be called an innovation.