Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: High Stakes Poker Renewed....  (Read 6384 times)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
High Stakes Poker Renewed....
« Reply #30 on: August 10, 2006, 10:40:25 AM »
[quote name=\'itiparanoid13\' post=\'126885\' date=\'Aug 10 2006, 07:34 AM\']
I was looking at some ratings I got ahold of, and High Stakes Poker is GSN's second highest rated show ever, only losing to Millionaire.
[/quote]
By a lot, or are we talking twice-nothing-is-still-nothing? Because, honestly, the show is completely off of my radar. (Admittedly, though, that might be because of Hellmuth; I simply can't even stomach to look at the guy.)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

itiparanoid13

« Reply #31 on: August 10, 2006, 10:53:11 AM »
I'll try to find out specifics, but by looking at the impressions, it looks to be by quite a bit away.  Personally, I didn't expect it to be even close to Who Wants to be a Millionaire, but I didn't expect it to be number 2.  It says the timeslot ratings rose by 36% from what was previously there.  I really wish I knew Millionaire's ratings and this could be a bit easier to find out.  When Game Show Network rebranded, Millionaire's ratings were a .9.  Last year, they were a .6.  Those ratings have to be down to at least a .4 by now.  If it's still around a .6, I will be absolutely shocked.  

Little fun thing I found too, but I've Got A Secret's ratings, at 11:30PM ET, is a .33.  What was at 11:30PM last year, because that rating was a .24.  And for the classic game show fans, if GSN wants any proof of a fanbase, it should be here: since GSN put the classics in the morning, ratings have doubled.  It's now at around a .26 for that entire daytime block.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #32 on: August 10, 2006, 11:05:37 AM »
That's great that the Poker show gets high ratings.  The daytime USA Movie block probably gets high ratings, too, but how does that help me as someone who preferred the game show block?

GSN pretty much put USA, FAM, Lifetime, etc. out of the game show business.  Shows on GSN that are not game shows leave the fan with nowhere to go.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2006, 11:09:21 AM by Jimmy Owen »
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

clemon79

« Reply #33 on: August 10, 2006, 11:28:34 AM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' post=\'126890\' date=\'Aug 10 2006, 08:05 AM\']
That's great that the Poker show gets high ratings.  The daytime USA Movie block probably gets high ratings, too, but how does that help me as someone who preferred the game show block?

GSN pretty much put USA, FAM, Lifetime, etc. out of the game show business.  Shows on GSN that are not game shows leave the fan with nowhere to go.
[/quote]
Points taken, but if you're the Network For Games, in 2006, you pretty much have to have a poker show. And, honestly, better something like this than one of those awful Poker Royale serii. (Really, if it weren't for the Hellmuth Factor, I'd probably be more amenable to watching it.)

The other day I came across a poker show on Fox Sports that originated from a built-for-TV facility in Vegas called the "PokerDome", which after some research I found was built in a "retail shopping attraction" right by the Fremont Street Experience. They were playing speed poker, with a 15-second shot clock, RFID chips in the cards (so no need for hole-card cameras) and all this was illustrated with lighting built into the table, not unlike the lights on the top of the Jeopardy podia. I couldn't take my eyes off of that stinkin' table. If THAT showed up on GSN, I'm thinking nobody would say boo, because THAT made it feel like a game show.

itiparanoid13

« Reply #34 on: August 10, 2006, 11:43:09 AM »
I'm glad someone else watches PokerDome.  for some reason, I just cannot stop watching, probably because of the lights and all the crap, but I like the speed part.  It's more like the poker we play on the computer.  It's an extremely entertaining tournament, and would have probably been cool on GSN, as Chris said.

FlashStash

« Reply #35 on: August 10, 2006, 02:58:59 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'126887\' date=\'Aug 10 2006, 10:40 AM\']
[quote name=\'itiparanoid13\' post=\'126885\' date=\'Aug 10 2006, 07:34 AM\']
I was looking at some ratings I got ahold of, and High Stakes Poker is GSN's second highest rated show ever, only losing to Millionaire.
[/quote]
By a lot, or are we talking twice-nothing-is-still-nothing? Because, honestly, the show is completely off of my radar. (Admittedly, though, that might be because of Hellmuth; I simply can't even stomach to look at the guy.)
[/quote]

I can't stand Hallmuth, but he's not on there right now, and when he was, the other players were baiting him the whole time, becuase, I believe, while he's a good tournament player, he's not so hot in a ring game and they wanted his money :)  Even if ya hated him it was fun to watch the others jab him.

FS

clemon79

« Reply #36 on: August 10, 2006, 03:20:08 PM »
[quote name=\'FlashStash\' post=\'126932\' date=\'Aug 10 2006, 11:58 AM\']
 Even if ya hated him it was fun to watch the others jab him.
[/quote]
Nope, can't agree. I'm a pretty faithful viewer of the major reality shows. I enjoy watching jerks get theirs: Jase on Big Brother, Hatch on Survivor, Rombuh on Amazing Race, those idiotic Fogels on Treasure Hunters. But I can't even stand to root against Hellmuth, 'cuz being a dick for the sake of good TV is one thing, but being a dick because you're a whiny little asshat is another. I read that even after he got knocked out of the Main at the WSOP this year, he was still parading around inside the rail, sticking his face in every TV camera that would have him, because he's an attention whore and he needs to feed himself.

Nope. Can't stand the guy, don't even like seeing him lose, because I'm still seeing him. He's the reason I stopped watching Celebrity Poker Showdown, too.

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
« Reply #37 on: August 10, 2006, 04:08:41 PM »
[quote name=\'itiparanoid13\' post=\'126901\' date=\'Aug 10 2006, 11:43 AM\']
I'm glad someone else watches PokerDome.  for some reason, I just cannot stop watching, probably because of the lights and all the crap, but I like the speed part.  It's more like the poker we play on the computer.  It's an extremely entertaining tournament, and would have probably been cool on GSN, as Chris said.[/quote]

It's a little too long for me.  Between 36(!!) first round matches and 6 semi-final matches and the finals, that's wayyyyyyy too long.  Poker may be cheap TV, but I wouldn't want to bank 42 hours of programming on it.  The other thing I don't like is that Speed Poker takes away from the atmosphere.  You can't really get behind a person because there's no time for the characters to develop.  This is really bad when you have a handful of no-names playing.

GSN pretty much put USA, FAM, Lifetime, etc. out of the game show business. Shows on GSN that are not game shows leave the fan with nowhere to go.

How about out?  Besides, USA, FAM, and Lifetime pretty much stopped showing Game Shows when everyone else did (mid-90s-ish, if memory serves me).  Debt stopped just about the time GSN started, but I doubt it was a stamping out of the competition.  Otherwise, GSN would be on the first-tier of cable stations.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2006, 04:09:05 PM by Joe Mello »
This signature is currently under construction.

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #38 on: August 10, 2006, 04:18:18 PM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' post=\'126878\' date=\'Aug 10 2006, 09:20 AM\']
[quote name=\'PYLdude\' post=\'126842\' date=\'Aug 9 2006, 11:24 PM\']
It may be your opinion, but I file it along the lines of Mark's opinions on Bill Cullen being overrated...

THEY'RE BOTH BUNK.
[/quote]
Yeah,well, last time I checked, I was entitled to an opinion, whether you like it or not.  It's up to you whether you agree or not; obviously you don't; but I don't think its right for you to dismiss someones opinion as "bunk" because you don't happen to agree with it.
[/quote]

No, Mark. Your opinion is bunk because you have no statistical backup for it. Same as Mello.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #39 on: August 10, 2006, 04:28:06 PM »
[quote name=\'PYLdude\' post=\'126952\' date=\'Aug 10 2006, 04:18 PM\']No, Mark. Your opinion is bunk because you have no statistical backup for it. Same as Mello.[/quote]
Christmas on a friggin' cracker.  Let it go.  Move on.  Actually, before you move on, read Dave Mackey's entry which fell upon some deaf ears.  Let your brain soak in Dave's MO for that post.  Then move on, please.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2006, 04:28:48 PM by MikeK »

clemon79

« Reply #40 on: August 10, 2006, 04:41:38 PM »
[quote name=\'Joe Mello\' post=\'126950\' date=\'Aug 10 2006, 01:08 PM\']
It's a little too long for me.  Between 36(!!) first round matches and 6 semi-final matches and the finals, that's wayyyyyyy too long.
[/quote]
Oh, I could give a rip about the tournament. But if I come across the show in passing, I'm very likely to stop and watch it a while. Don't care who wins, most of the time I don't even know who these people are playing, and I don't care. So the length of the overall tournament doesn't matter to me, and I'd wager it doesn't really matter to most folks.
Poker may be cheap TV, but I wouldn't want to bank 42 hours of programming on it.
You ever WATCH Fox Sports? They don't have a whole lot else.
The other thing I don't like is that Speed Poker takes away from the atmosphere.  You can't really get behind a person because there's no time for the characters to develop.  This is really bad when you have a handful of no-names playing.
I suggest it's really GOOD when you have a bunch of no names playing, for the reasons above. I'm just surfing by, I don't care who they are, I'm not gonna care who they are, and all I wanna do is watch 'em play cards, I don't want to watch them think about playing cards.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2006, 04:42:29 PM by clemon79 »