Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: NBC's Today not going to a 4th hour, why not.....?  (Read 2655 times)

toddyo

NBC's Today not going to a 4th hour, why not.....?
« on: August 09, 2006, 09:50:09 PM »
If I were Mr. Zucker and the powers to be at the National Broadcasting Company, I would counter program a 10am ET/PT hour block. Since NBC obviously owns Concentration, put on an hour or...be controversial with the affilliates and go for a 90 minute/2 hour game show block.  Concentration, Jackpot, Password...anything.

The production costs would be inexpensive AND...here's an idea: Since NBC uses synergy and rebroadcasts its own programming on the various NBC/Universal channels, why not an NBC/GSN programming arrangement?

It would be a winner on both ends. NBC gets great cross-promotion and GSN gets decent ratings and programming but only if GSN would run the programming primetime, to allow those of us who work daytime.

Let's have a civil conversation about this.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2006, 09:54:12 PM »
[quote name=\'toddyo\' post=\'126793\' date=\'Aug 9 2006, 06:50 PM\']
Let's have a civil conversation about this.
[/quote]
Sure. Not gonna happen.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

FOXSportsFan

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2006, 10:05:46 PM »
When the hours were given back to the affiliates by the early 90s, it proved to be the death knell for daytime network game shows.  Toddyo, stranger things could happen and we can dream and all, but eh...we're stuck with pieces of crap in syndication like Rachael Ray.

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2006, 11:54:58 PM »
How about we just insert the syndie game shows that are coming out the wazoo these next few years?
This signature is currently under construction.

urbanpreppie05

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2006, 12:00:27 AM »
[quote name=\'FOXSportsFan\' post=\'126798\' date=\'Aug 9 2006, 10:05 PM\']
When the hours were given back to the affiliates by the early 90s, it proved to be the death knell for daytime network game shows.  Toddyo, stranger things could happen and we can dream and all, but eh...we're stuck with pieces of crap in syndication like Rachael Ray.
[/quote]

Judging a show that hasnt even premiered yet, I see?
insert signature here

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2006, 12:23:26 AM »
[quote name=\'urbanpreppie05\' post=\'126837\' date=\'Aug 10 2006, 12:00 AM\']
[quote name=\'FOXSportsFan\' post=\'126798\' date=\'Aug 9 2006, 10:05 PM\']
[/quote]

Judging a show that hasnt even premiered yet, I see?
[/quote]

I think's that's more an indication of his feelings about Rachael Ray than the show itself, so be quiet.

(BTW, she's getting Tony Danza's slot in NYC on WABC, I believe...considering the last two shows that have passed through it, not sure if that's a good sign or not.)
« Last Edit: August 10, 2006, 04:23:00 PM by PYLdude »
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

uncamark

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2006, 03:19:35 PM »
It seems to me that NBC's trying to gum up the works for those affiliates that carry Regis and Kelly at 9 a.m. and DB the third hour of "Today" to 10 a.m.  (And it's amazing how many Big 3 stations out there that don't have Regis and Kelly wave the white flag and run infomercials at 9 a.m.)

It also seems to be an attempt at internecine warfare of NBC divisions--I'm sure there are a lot of affiliates--and owned stations--that want to run the syndication division's "Martha" or Megan Mullally at 10 a.m. and won't if "Today" adds an hour.  WMAQ in Chicago's one ("Martha"'s at 10, I believe Megan's replacing Danza at noon, since Ellen's at 3 p.m.).

I suspect the affiliates are going to shoot this down, unless they get at least a barter-syndication level amount of local ad time.  Once you get network time back, you become protective of it.

catkins522

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2006, 08:34:55 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' post=\'126939\' date=\'Aug 10 2006, 03:19 PM\']
It seems to me that NBC's trying to gum up the works for those affiliates that carry Regis and Kelly at 9 a.m. and DB the third hour of "Today" to 10 a.m.  (And it's amazing how many Big 3 stations out there that don't have Regis and Kelly wave the white flag and run infomercials at 9 a.m.)
[/quote]

Well, here in Ft. Myers/Naples, the now canceled Tony Danza beats Regis & Kelly every week...appox. 4.1 to 1.6.

If Megan Mullally does not goes well, the programming manager is looking at getting the Joker/CL here in '07.

Charles Atkins
-----------

Bigger and better....in HD!!!!

comicus

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2006, 12:31:37 AM »
What part of "We'll never see another network daytime game show after TPIR" do people not understand?  I hate it too, but syndication and View-esque claptrap is the new norm.  Bank on syndication, friends.

Isn't it true that the shows that Sony sold after nixing Osmond Pyramid all averaged worse ratings and wound up getting canceled even quicker?  Pat Croce seems to come to mind...

/who the crap was Pat Croce, anyway?  Jim's sister?
//if I could save time in a bottle, it'd be afternoons in 1987 on USA

FOXSportsFan

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2006, 12:36:42 AM »
[quote name=\'CountdownRound\' post=\'127016\' date=\'Aug 11 2006, 12:31 AM\']
What part of "We'll never see another network daytime game show after TPIR" do people not understand?  I hate it too, but syndication and View-esque claptrap is the new norm.  Bank on syndication, friends.

Isn't it true that the shows that Sony sold after nixing Osmond Pyramid all averaged worse ratings and wound up getting canceled even quicker?  Pat Croce seems to come to mind...

[/quote]

As a Philadelphia sports fan, I'm going to pretend you asked that question about MR. Croce sarcastically.

urbanpreppie05

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2006, 04:02:41 AM »
[quote name=\'CountdownRound\' post=\'127016\' date=\'Aug 11 2006, 12:31 AM\']

[/quote]

Croce and Life and Style didn't even get the same ratings as Pyramid...combined.
insert signature here

Don Howard

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2006, 09:53:07 AM »
[quote name=\'urbanpreppie05\' post=\'127031\' date=\'Aug 11 2006, 04:02 AM\']
Croce and Life and Style didn't even get the same ratings as Pyramid...combined.
[/quote]
My sign-off announcement after Meditation at TV-8 twenty-five years ago got a higher rating than those two combined.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2006, 11:43:49 AM »
[quote name=\'FOXSportsFan\' post=\'127018\' date=\'Aug 10 2006, 09:36 PM\']
As a Philadelphia sports fan, I'm going to pretend you asked that question about MR. Croce sarcastically.
[/quote]
You go ahead and do that, but as a sports fan, PERIOD, and not a huge NBA fan, I asked the same question when I first saw him on TV.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

FOXSportsFan

« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2006, 12:55:54 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'127058\' date=\'Aug 11 2006, 11:43 AM\']
[quote name=\'FOXSportsFan\' post=\'127018\' date=\'Aug 10 2006, 09:36 PM\']
[/quote]
You go ahead and do that, but as a sports fan, PERIOD, and not a huge NBA fan, I asked the same question when I first saw him on TV.
[/quote]

Well sure, but see the better question is: What the *expletive* is he on?!?