Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Wheel and Jeopardy! in HD  (Read 7196 times)

ed1202

Wheel and Jeopardy! in HD
« on: August 11, 2006, 04:10:54 PM »
Here's the link:

http://www.tvweek.com/news.cms?newsId=10524

BTW, hello everyone! Long time lurker, first time poster.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2006, 04:24:21 PM »
[quote name=\'ed1202\' post=\'127079\' date=\'Aug 11 2006, 01:10 PM\']
Here's the link:

http://www.tvweek.com/news.cms?newsId=10524

BTW, hello everyone! Long time lurker, first time poster.
[/quote]
And me (hopefully) buying a hi-def TV tomorrow. I might start watching again, just to see Alex's zits. :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

bandit_bobby

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2006, 04:32:04 PM »
It's just the same thing as a letterbox format, folks (I think). See "Late Night With Conan O' Brien" and
you'll see what I mean.

clemon79

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2006, 04:34:26 PM »
[quote name=\'bandit_bobby\' post=\'127084\' date=\'Aug 11 2006, 01:32 PM\']
(I think)
[/quote]
Really? When did this start?

Certainly not with that post.

aaron sica

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2006, 04:44:50 PM »
[quote name=\'bandit_bobby\' post=\'127084\' date=\'Aug 11 2006, 04:32 PM\']
It's just the same thing as a letterbox format, folks (I think). See "Late Night With Conan O' Brien" and
you'll see what I mean.
[/quote]

Uh, no. HD is not the same thing as a letterbox format. HD is - oh, never mind. I just realized who I was talking to.

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2006, 04:59:44 PM »
[quote name=\'ed1202\' post=\'127079\' date=\'Aug 11 2006, 04:10 PM\']
Here's the link:

http://www.tvweek.com/news.cms?newsId=10524[/quote]
I'm pretty sure we covered this after the WoF season premiere taping last month.

Wheel looks amazing in Hi Def.  It's almost enough to make me watch Wheel on a semi-regular basis.  Alas, Millionaire's on at the same time.

SimpsonGeek

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2006, 01:03:42 AM »
I believe the article is wrong in calling these the first HD syndicated shows. Seinfeld went HD a few months ago, just very few (if any) stations picked it up.

Brandon Brooks

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2006, 01:22:19 AM »
When this topic was mentioned previously, I must have completely missed that the new board is a giant screen.  At any rate, I'll ask this question again: anyone who's been to a taping--are the clues 16:9?

Brandon Brooks

tvwxman

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2006, 06:07:19 AM »
[quote name=\'SimpsonGeek\' post=\'127127\' date=\'Aug 12 2006, 01:03 AM\']
I believe the article is wrong in calling these the first HD syndicated shows. Seinfeld went HD a few months ago, just very few (if any) stations picked it up.
[/quote]
Incorrect statement, in terms of Seinfeld NOT being taped in HD, unlike Wheel and Jep.
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

Gus

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2006, 02:34:49 PM »
[quote name=\'Brandon Brooks\' post=\'127131\' date=\'Aug 12 2006, 01:22 AM\']
When this topic was mentioned previously, I must have completely missed that the new board is a giant screen.  At any rate, I'll ask this question again: anyone who's been to a taping--are the clues 16:9?
[/quote]

I wasn't at a Jeopardy taping, but I was at the first Wheel taping of the season, and while the program is taped in 16:9, all the critical elements are kept within a 4:3 area in the middle of the screen, so a wide-angle shot of the puzzle board has a lot of marginal space in widescreen, which leads me to believe that Wheel will be reduced to 4:3 for standard-def broadcasts.

I can't think of a compelling reason for Jeopardy to have a different production method, so I would venture a guess that the clues will be confined to a 4:3 area in the middle of the widescreen shot to facilitate aspect reduction, but as I haven't actually seen or heard anything involving the transmission of either J! or Wheel, my comments will just have to be taken at face value.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2006, 02:36:44 PM by Gus »

clemon79

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2006, 02:39:38 PM »
[quote name=\'Gus\' post=\'127174\' date=\'Aug 12 2006, 11:34 AM\']
I wasn't at a Jeopardy taping, but I was at the first Wheel taping of the season, and while the program is taped in 16:9, all the critical elements are kept within a 4:3 area in the middle of the screen, so a wide-angle shot of the puzzle board has a lot of marginal space in widescreen, which leads me to believe that Wheel will be reduced to 4:3 for standard-def broadcasts.

I can't think of a compelling reason for Jeopardy to have a different production method, so I would venture a guess that the clues will be confined to a 4:3 area in the middle of the widescreen shot, but as I haven't actually seen or heard anything involving the transmission of either J! or Wheel, my comments will just have to be taken at face value.
[/quote]
Very reasonable assessments, I think. Really, they have two choices: either clip the edges for standard-def, or air the show with black bars, like they did with West Wing. They air with black bars, and they're gonna piss off the oldsters that now have to squint at their TV, who, like it or not, are a large part of their audience. So they clip the edges, and throw a little extra pretty at those of us who DO have the hi-def, but don't include any really important elements there.

tvwxman

« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2006, 04:08:24 PM »
[quote name=\'Gus\' post=\'127174\' date=\'Aug 12 2006, 02:34 PM\']
[quote name=\'Brandon Brooks\' post=\'127131\' date=\'Aug 12 2006, 01:22 AM\']
[/quote]

I can't think of a compelling reason for Jeopardy to have a different production method, so I would venture a guess that the clues will be confined to a 4:3 area in the middle of the widescreen shot to facilitate aspect reduction, but as I haven't actually seen or heard anything involving the transmission of either J! or Wheel, my comments will just have to be taken at face value.
[/quote]

Well put. And while I'm hoping to see some radical adjustment in the set come September, I have a feeling it will just be shot looser to accommodate black bars.
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

remlap

« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2006, 08:35:31 PM »
Ah least with the UK we dont have to worry how shows are shot in Widescreen, just need to get used to shows beeing shot in HD.

From the shows ive seen of BBC HD shot and aired in HD on thier test station, I look forward to the inevietable time 2010 at the latest that a BBC panel quiz show is HD.

So a syndicated Game and Quiz Show goes HD before networked Deal or No Deal (Which probably be the awesome)... typical

I have a question, I know the FCC mandated all tv sets be able to pick up ATSC signals but are all tv sets sold now 16:9 or are still some 4:3?
« Last Edit: August 12, 2006, 08:36:00 PM by remlap »

Brandon Brooks

« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2006, 08:41:52 PM »
[quote name=\'remlap\' post=\'127189\' date=\'Aug 12 2006, 07:35 PM\']
Ah least with the UK we dont have to worry how shows are shot in Widescreen, just need to get used to shows beeing shot in HD.

From the shows ive seen of BBC HD shot and aired in HD on thier test station, I look forward to the inevietable time 2010 at the latest that a BBC panel quiz show is HD.

So a syndicated Game and Quiz Show goes HD before networked Deal or No Deal (Which probably be the awesome)... typical

I have a question, I know the FCC mandated all tv sets be able to pick up ATSC signals but are all tv sets sold now 16:9 or are still some 4:3?
[/quote]
Many are still 4:3.  I bought a HD set earlier this year that's 4:3.

Brandon Brooks

remlap

« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2006, 09:36:13 PM »
[quote name=\'Brandon Brooks\' post=\'127191\' date=\'Aug 13 2006, 01:41 AM\']
Many are still 4:3.  I bought a HD set earlier this year that's 4:3.

Brandon Brooks
[/quote]

Thank you, shocking really, I hope all 16:9 shows broadcast in ATSC are 4:3 freindly with logos and such.