Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Coming soon on DVD...  (Read 8324 times)

CarbonCpy

Coming soon on DVD...
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2003, 11:44:05 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Sep 3 2003, 03:23 PM\'] [quote name=\'HSquares2003\' date=\'Sep 2 2003, 05:17 PM\'] Hey, how about TPIR on DVD coming soon! It would get to be costly for the tape/dvd collectors, but well worth the $$$$ [/quote]
Hey, how about telling us, after the 300 of us who would actually be interested in such a beast have snapped up our copies, what landfill they're gonna dump the rest of the print run in?

Really, just once I wish people would think about these things.... [/quote]

I'd say right next door to that one landfill in Arizona where they dumped all those unsold ET Atari cartridges...
« Last Edit: September 03, 2003, 11:44:29 PM by CarbonCpy »

clarkh

Coming soon on DVD...
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2003, 04:07:23 AM »
It's simple, really.

If there were even a marginal market for the stuff (and, with the way the DVD mania's growing, there theoretically could be), Sony/GSN/Fremantle/whomever could release a four-hour \"best of\" DVD of each of the \"classic\" games in their respective libraries. The discs could contain a mix of complete episodes and highlight clips; with trivia, show histories, clear theme song tracks, and other extras depending on space availability.

Yrs.,
Clark H.
http://www.miscmedia.com

TonicBH

Coming soon on DVD...
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2003, 04:44:17 AM »
There could be market value on those OGSMs... Show the clips unedited or uncensored... or something.
You Found a Secret Area: The place where I write about dumb game show and video game stuff occasionally.

PeterMarshallFan

Coming soon on DVD...
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2003, 05:57:56 PM »
[quote name=\'clarkh\' date=\'Sep 4 2003, 04:07 AM\'] It's simple, really.

If there were even a marginal market for the stuff (and, with the way the DVD mania's growing, there theoretically could be), Sony/GSN/Fremantle/whomever could release a four-hour \"best of\" DVD of each of the \"classic\" games in their respective libraries. The discs could contain a mix of complete episodes and highlight clips; with trivia, show histories, clear theme song tracks, and other extras depending on space availability.

[/quote]
I'd be first in line for \"The Best of Hollywood Connection.\"

Curious question---I know Chuck Henry forbid NYSI89 from airing [and rumors persist that Rayburn banned MG/HS] but would these DVDs fall under the ban? If you want to nitpick, techically, putting the stuff on DVD isn't really the same as actually airing it. Only those who want to buy the DVD ever see it.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2003, 05:58:32 PM by PeterMarshallFan »

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Coming soon on DVD...
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2003, 07:14:41 PM »
[quote name=\'PeterMarshallFan\' date=\'Sep 4 2003, 02:57 PM\'] I'd be first in line for "The Best of Hollywood Connection."
 [/quote]
 Comeback A) Would you really need a DVD to store that? Wouldn't, say, a photograph suffice? ;)

Comeback B) You'd be the _last_ in line too. :)

Curious question---I know Chuck Henry forbid NYSI89 from airing [and rumors persist that Rayburn banned MG/HS] but would these DVDs fall under the ban? If you want to nitpick, techically, putting the stuff on DVD isn't really the same as actually airing it. Only those who want to buy the DVD ever see it.

Yes. As a general rule, trying to nitpick with copyright lawyers is a bad idea.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

J.R.

Coming soon on DVD...
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2003, 12:38:41 AM »
[quote name=\'PeterMarshallFan\' date=\'Sep 4 2003, 04:57 PM\'] I'd be first in line for "The Best of Hollywood Connection."

Curious question---I know Chuck Henry forbid NYSI89 from airing [and rumors persist that Rayburn banned MG/HS] but would these DVDs fall under the ban? If you want to nitpick, techically, putting the stuff on DVD isn't really the same as actually airing it. Only those who want to buy the DVD ever see it. [/quote]
 I'd be first in line for \"Best of Monopoly\" !

On the subject. Isn't it true that Rolf Benirschke has also forbid his \"Wheel\" shows from airing again ?

-Joe R.
-Joe Raygor

Jimmy Owen

Coming soon on DVD...
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2003, 02:15:05 AM »
I seriously doubt Chuck or Rolf would have the ability to block the airings. Besides, they won't even show the Narz NYSI or Bob Goen's WOF so why the guessing?  Don't worry though, I have tapes with 10 or so eps of Chuck's NYSI, which he has not tried to stop me from watching.  I also have a couple of Rolf's shows.  This is one the many speculations over the years that has no basis in fact.  Previous speculations proven wrong include the following: The entire run of Peter Marshall's Hollywood Squares was destroyed.  The Larson episodes of PYL will never be shown again.  CBS destroyed the run of \"TJW\" Where is the proof on these speculations?
« Last Edit: September 05, 2003, 02:17:18 AM by Jimmy Owen »
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Coming soon on DVD...
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2003, 11:24:28 AM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Sep 4 2003, 11:15 PM\'] Besides, they won't even show the Narz NYSI or Bob Goen's WOF so why the guessing? [/quote]
 Difference is, they HAVE shown the Narz NYSI...I think it was a staple of the original schedule, and then it came back on weekends (which I never remembered to set my VCR for, grr, why can't they run it now that I have Tivo?) right after the Dark Period.

And it's wekk-known that Henry was not happy with NTSI '89, and as host, I'm quite sure he CAN block them from airing.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Jimmy Owen

Coming soon on DVD...
« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2003, 11:42:20 AM »
Chuck should not be ashamed of NYSI.  \"Eye on Hollywood\" and \"The Love Report,\" yes.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

GS Warehouse

Coming soon on DVD...
« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2003, 12:17:32 PM »
[quote name=\'JRaygor\' date=\'Sep 4 2003, 11:38 PM\'] I'd be first in line for \"Best of Monopoly\" ! [/quote]
And I'd be in the back of the line--right behind you!

Seriously (and off-topic), the game show helped me develop a couple of Monopoly house rules, such as:
- Rent: On the show, the rent on an unimproved property was half its value.  Could you imagine landing on Mediterranean Avenue with no houses
(which actually happened) and answering a question for two dollars?  Thirty is a little more sensible, but for the board game, I'd meet in the middle, like 20% of face value ($12-$80).  Like on the show, each house counts 20% of the hotel rent (i.e. Illinois Avenue with 3 houses = 60% x $1100 = $660).
- Income Tax: Instead of choosing between $200 and 10% of your total worth, just pay 10% of your cash in hand (rounded down).
- Railroads: If you land on a railroad you own, you can travel to any unowned property and buy it for 150% of the face value.  It's more costly, but assembling monopolies quicker can speed up the game.
- Go to Jail: Instead of spending three turns in jail, pay the fine right away.

ObGameShow: Free Parking was in play on the game show.  Makes me wonder who the first person to do that was, since now it's a universal house rule, but the official board game rules don't allow it.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2003, 12:22:43 PM by GS Warehouse »

ChuckNet

Coming soon on DVD...
« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2003, 12:21:08 PM »
Chuck should not be ashamed of NYSI. \"Eye on Hollywood\" and \"The Love Report,\" yes.

The only reason TLR made it to air was because on the aired pilot, they revealed that John Davidson had an affair during his 1st marriage, and they were hoping the show could come up w/more attention-grabbers like that once they went to series. It didn't, hence its short run.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious \"Chuckie Baby\")

Matt Ottinger

Coming soon on DVD...
« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2003, 03:05:35 PM »
Remember that house rules virtually always are designed to make the game faster, simpler and/or more fun.
Rent: On the show, the rent on an unimproved property was half its value. Could you imagine landing on Mediterranean Avenue with no houses (which actually happened) and answering a question for two dollars? Thirty is a little more sensible, but for the board game, I'd meet in the middle, like 20% of face value ($12-$80).
This doesn't make the game faster, simpler OR more fun.  Some properties have cheap rent.  Pay it, move on.
- Income Tax: Instead of choosing between $200 and 10% of your total worth, just pay 10% of your cash in hand (rounded down).
Ten percent of your cash is certainly simpler than tediously figuring out your entire worth.  Most house rules, though, simply say forget the 10%, just pay the $200.
- Railroads: If you land on a railroad you own, you can travel to any unowned property and buy it for 150% of the face value. It's more costly, but assembling monopolies quicker can speed up the game.
I like this (and it makes the whole \"railroad\" concept make more sense, like the TV show) but I wouldn't bother with the 150% business.  Another way:  Rather than ANY unowned property, landing on your own railroad allows you to advance to the NEAREST unowned property.
- Go to Jail: Instead of spending three turns in jail, pay the fine right away.
You can already do that in the official rules, and you absolutely should in the early going when there are properties to buy.  Later, when there's less of a reason to travel, staying in jail as long as you can is better.
ObGameShow: Free Parking was in play on the game show. Makes me wonder who the first person to do that was, since now it's a universal house rule, but the official board game rules don't allow it.   
It's certainly the most common house rule (and predates the game show by decades) but I have no idea what the history of it is.  I was disappointed to see them use it on the TV show, since it made the rule look \"official\" when it's not.  I was impressed, however, to see Reilly correctly pronounce the \"Redding\" Railroad.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

uncamark

Coming soon on DVD...
« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2003, 03:30:08 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Sep 5 2003, 10:24 AM\']And it's wekk-known that Henry was not happy with NTSI '89, and as host, I'm quite sure he CAN block them from airing.[/quote]
The one nagging about this always has been that one would assume that a standard talent contract in 1989 would cover the rights to a performance in any means of television distribution, past, present or future.  The reason MGP had to go back and clear the pre-1980 shows for GSN is because the original contracts only covered standard broadcast television and didn't account for cable or satellite television.  It seems to me that if Henry's 1989 contract mentioned that he was giving permission for retransmission on any means of television, he had signed out and could no nothing about it.

However, it looks like MGP as a professional courtesy did contact Henry along with everyone else they had to contact to reclear the shows--and he didn't give his permission.  I also have the feeling that it would reflect MGP's own corporate culture, as well.  If Fremantle was reclearing the old shows and they felt that Henry's contract didn't requiring reclearing \"NYSI '89,\" they would've greenlit the show for GSN play pronto, because they contractually could, whether Henry liked it or not.

Of course, if the legal language wasn't there and Henry did have a leg to stand on (or if Chris C. tells me that G-T/MGP's corporate culture wasn't that courteous), then I'm full of hooey.

jalman

Coming soon on DVD...
« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2003, 01:44:21 AM »
If I can just bring this thread on-topic for a minute...

There's a DVD review at DVD Talk.  I miss the show since watching it late nights in the cable days, and my PBS station doesn't air any episodes.  Hopefully, this DVD doesn't reek of compression issues.

Clarence

Ian Wallis

Coming soon on DVD...
« Reply #29 on: September 08, 2003, 09:14:49 AM »
The reason MGP had to go back and clear the pre-1980 shows for GSN is because the original contracts only covered standard broadcast television and didn't account for cable or satellite television.

From what I understand, that would only cover shows from 1973 onwards.  A letter I got from GSN in 1996 (back when they actually answered letters from viewers) stated that any show after 1973 they have to get the celebrity to clear it before they can air it.  Presumably, any show before 1973 they can do anything they want to it.

I guess they're also getting more clearances as time goes on - case in point:  the premiere week of 1980s \"Tattletales\"which aired recently, but had never been aired on GSN before.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!