Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Animated Smoking  (Read 2387 times)

gamed121683

Animated Smoking
« on: August 21, 2006, 06:10:51 PM »
As most of us here know, any black and white show on GSN that has a cigarette sponsor in there program will no longer be seen on the network. Well, it looks like Turner Broadcasting is doing something similar with their classic cartoons.

http://tv.yahoo.com/news/va/20060821/11562...zLySfC_VSCRsVoB

First game shows now cartoons. You think this has gone too far?

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Animated Smoking
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2006, 06:12:40 PM »
What a load of bull.  Again, one person complains and it ruins it for everyone.
Maybe I should complain about Love Connection and say it promotes ideas of sex out of wedlock.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

chad1m

Animated Smoking
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2006, 06:17:49 PM »
If you do that, I'm sure not one person on this board would be displeased. I'd make you a plaque. But, the thing is, you might actually get some people to talk about that at GSN.

What happened to the days when a network didn't give a damn about what anyone else thought?
« Last Edit: August 21, 2006, 06:18:31 PM by chad1m »

dzinkin

Animated Smoking
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2006, 06:36:59 PM »
[quote name=\'chad1m\' post=\'128379\' date=\'Aug 21 2006, 06:17 PM\']
What happened to the days when a network didn't give a damn about what anyone else thought?
[/quote]
Look at how the network had to remove ticket plugs lest someone actually try to get tickets to Match Game '73 -- in 1997.  (NOTE: I am well aware that the desire to squeeze in an extra commercial is the bigger reason.)  Look at how the GSN board's moderators proudly punish members who dare to correct, even politely, those who insist on posting blatantly false information.  Heck, look at Extreme Gong.  GSN always has spent just a bit too much time catering to morons.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2006, 06:38:06 PM by dzinkin »

dzinkin

Animated Smoking
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2006, 06:39:36 PM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' post=\'128378\' date=\'Aug 21 2006, 06:12 PM\']
Maybe I should complain about Love Connection and say it promotes ideas of sex out of wedlock.
[/quote]
I think you should provide firsthand (not first "hand") evidence to back up your argument. :-)

Jimmy Owen

Animated Smoking
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2006, 09:17:52 PM »
I only smoke after sex.  

I don't smoke.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2006, 09:19:20 PM by Jimmy Owen »
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

cmjb13

Animated Smoking
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2006, 07:24:00 AM »
[/quote]
I wouldn't blame the person who brought up the complaint. I would blame Turner for giving in.

I could ask for a million dollar raise. If I get it, who's to blame? Me for asking, or the company for agreeing?
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

uncamark

Animated Smoking
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2006, 12:53:35 PM »
[quote name=\'cmjb13\' post=\'128429\' date=\'Aug 22 2006, 06:24 AM\']
[/quote]
I wouldn't blame the person who brought up the complaint. I would blame Turner for giving in.

I could ask for a million dollar raise. If I get it, who's to blame? Me for asking, or the company for agreeing?
[/quote]

Still, you have to remember that CN's primary worldwide audience, with the exception of between 10:30 p.m. and 6 a.m. Saturday through Thursday in the U.S., is children.  As silly as it sounds, I don't blame them for reacting that way.  It has to be remembered that the original were made for a general audience, not kids.  Meanwhile, I would hope that the original versions could be shown late at night or on another Turner channel, or is that something just for DVDs?

And let's not either bring up the fact that the "Tom & Jerry" shorts had a lot of slapstick violence or the stereotypical black maid Mammy Two Shoes (reanimated by Chuck Jones' people in the 60s for TV and revoiced by June Foray as an Irish maid in some shorts, and redubbed by Turner by a black actress speaking proper English in some others), which seems to me to be bigger problems than Tom Cat rolling his own.

ObGameShow:  Heatter-Quigley developed "Wacky Races" with H-B as a game show--that element got dropped when CBS got queasy about kids betting on outcomes of races.

LocalH

Animated Smoking
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2006, 12:53:39 PM »
And the eventual sanitization of our past culture continues.
Scott Jones

Long-time Game Show Fan

Former Newscast Director

Jimmy Owen

Animated Smoking
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2006, 01:19:28 PM »
[quote name=\'LocalH\' post=\'128439\' date=\'Aug 22 2006, 12:53 PM\']
[/quote]

Yes, someday, years from now, they will be scurrying to eradicate any evidence anyone ever ate red meat.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

TimK2003

Animated Smoking
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2006, 08:10:07 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' post=\'128443\' date=\'Aug 22 2006, 12:19 PM\']
[quote name=\'LocalH\' post=\'128439\' date=\'Aug 22 2006, 12:53 PM\']
[/quote]

Yes, someday, years from now, they will be scurrying to eradicate any evidence anyone ever ate red meat.
[/quote]

I do not endorse this idea, but sooner or later there will be some nutcase in Trailerparkville, Kentucky who will try to launch a campaign to ban game shows saying that, (like in some children's sports nowadays):

"Any competition between people where there is ultimately a winner and a loser should be banned because it could ruin a person's self esteem".

It's just like all of these adults nowadays demand that old-school metal playgrounds be replaced with expensive wood and plastic ones with soft rubber cushioning -- yet they enjoyed and survived the old metal equipment with no bumps and bruises. <shrugs>