Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Dick Clark and the Emmys  (Read 7798 times)

bclark71

Dick Clark and the Emmys
« on: August 23, 2006, 01:09:20 PM »
That tribute is going to be very emotional and heartfelt, and I just hope His Clarkness is in attendance so he can get a feel of how respected and liked he is.  Has anyone heard for sure if he'll be there?

Either way, it will be worth watching the show just to see the tribute.

whewfan

Dick Clark and the Emmys
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2006, 05:20:54 PM »
We can only hope, but my best guess is... he won't be there. If anything they may show some old clips of Dick Clark through the years. They could set up some sort of satellite feed if they wanted to, so that he wouldn't have to make his way there. (This is assuming that he still has difficulty walking)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Dick Clark and the Emmys
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2006, 05:32:21 PM »
[quote name=\'whewfan\' post=\'128722\' date=\'Aug 23 2006, 02:20 PM\']
We can only hope, but my best guess is... he won't be there. If anything they may show some old clips of Dick Clark through the years. They could set up some sort of satellite feed if they wanted to, so that he wouldn't have to make his way there. (This is assuming that he still has difficulty walking)
[/quote]
I wouldn't put it past them to prop him in a chair and have him wave or something. The pathos level would be off the chart.

(Which is why the network would want it. Dick would probably want it out of the same sense of laudable duty that had him working NYE last year.)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

FOXSportsFan

Dick Clark and the Emmys
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2006, 06:37:16 PM »
From what I understand this weekend very well may be the last time we see Dick on television.  Jonathan P. Casey, my colleague at WSNJ actually talks semi-regularly with the man currently in command of Mr. Clark's production company, in fact it's this person who helped, as you might presume, set up my colleague's interview with Dick, just weeks before his stroke in 2004...I'll give said colleague a call and see if he knows anything more.  From what I've been told, Mr. Clark is still very bad off (the vibe I get is he's not getting any better and he may be getting worse)...kinda obvious to us all by now, that the stroke really took its toll.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2006, 07:52:06 PM by FOXSportsFan »

whewfan

Dick Clark and the Emmys
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2006, 07:20:51 PM »
http://www.accesshollywood.com/news/ah1139.shtml

Here's a mention... Dick WILL be there... however, like we can surmise, it'll likely be a brief cameo and Dick may not even say anything.

Matt Ottinger

Dick Clark and the Emmys
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2006, 09:36:50 PM »
[quote name=\'whewfan\' post=\'128746\' date=\'Aug 23 2006, 07:20 PM\']http://www.accesshollywood.com/news/ah1139.shtml
Here's a mention... Dick WILL be there... however, like we can surmise, it'll likely be a brief cameo and Dick may not even say anything.[/quote]
I don't understand why everybody keeps assuming that Dick's participation will be minimal, and in fact why people were assuming he wouldn't even be there, which we now know to be wrong.  There's no evidence at all that he's gotten worse since New Year's Eve, and he talked plenty then.  Poorly, of course, but plenty.

Thursday's USA TODAY also reports that Dick will be at the Emmys on Sunday.  The tribute segment is hosted by Simon Cowell, of all people.  Seems if they were going the AI route, they'd have gotten Ryan to do it.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Allstar87

Dick Clark and the Emmys
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2006, 10:14:35 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'129000\' date=\'Aug 24 2006, 09:36 PM\']
Thursday's USA TODAY also reports that Dick will be at the Emmys on Sunday.  The tribute segment is hosted by Simon Cowell, of all people.  Seems if they were going the AI route, they'd have gotten Ryan to do it.
[/quote]

Especially considering Ryan helped host New Year's Rockin' Eve a little while ago.

I'm boggled as to why Simon would be chosen too...

cweaver

Dick Clark and the Emmys
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2006, 10:57:29 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'129000\' date=\'Aug 24 2006, 08:36 PM\']
[/quote]

Probably because the show will air on NBC and Cowell just produced a show for them.  I would've gone with Ryan too (especially since they have far more in common career-wise).

mbc793

Dick Clark and the Emmys
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2006, 11:12:19 PM »
Yeah I would have to agree. Pretty brief appearance by Dick Clark is that right?? I'm sure it'll be a treat to see him again after new year's rockin' eve in december.

BrandonFG

Dick Clark and the Emmys
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2006, 09:03:17 PM »
They just finished the tribute, and he's giving a speech now.

He's sounding a little better since New Year's, but it still feels tough to watch.
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

tpirfan28

Dick Clark and the Emmys
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2006, 09:05:18 PM »
I think he is doing a lot better...he's not perfect of course, but he's having an amazing recovery.

God bless him.
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

Terry K

Dick Clark and the Emmys
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2006, 09:09:28 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'129379\' date=\'Aug 27 2006, 08:03 PM\']

He's sounding a little better since New Year's, but it still feels tough to watch.
[/quote]

But you know, still a class act!

The emotion he had tonight is definately real.  Very real.  Very Appropirate.

Brandon Brooks

Dick Clark and the Emmys
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2006, 09:10:07 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'129379\' date=\'Aug 27 2006, 08:03 PM\']

[/quote]
I'm not as melancholy as I was December of last year, as he's improved.  And it wasn't really tough for me to watch, since I now think he's fine, and if he plays he cards right, he'll live a long rest of his life.  I do think it's time for him to bow out New Year's Eve, or just make a cameo.

FOXSportsFan

Dick Clark and the Emmys
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2006, 09:11:13 PM »
He sounds slightly better if at all, but he's got his wit intact and that sense of humor.  The ending with Barry Manilow coming on over was very touching and if not for the day and age of time constraints, it should have lasted longer (the standing ovation and the end).

From a personal standpoint and as a guy who downright idolized the man, to see Dick in the great scheme of things not getting better, which I had the notion of, it's downright depressing, as great of a moment as it is for him.  I wasn't expecting him to be dancing on the ceiling, but I was hoping for a little more improvement in his condition.  

I said it earlier in this thread, and I'll say it again here.  I will not be surprised if this was the last time we view Dick on television.  I mean part of me wants to see him give New Year's Rockin' Eve a proper handoff come December 31, should he make it to that point, but part of me feels this was as good a sendoff as any.

*Gives the salute to Mr. Bandstand*

On an aside and a lighter note: I'm loving Conan's hosting tonight.  And the accounting introductions: Puts my public address career to shame.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2006, 09:14:53 PM by FOXSportsFan »

whewfan

Dick Clark and the Emmys
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2006, 09:15:10 PM »
I agree, he does sound better, didn't sound as raspy, but still struggling a bit with his speech. He seemed to show a bit more movement with his hands too, doing a sort of salute, this time with his left hand. Dick alluded to still having difficulty walking, which is why he was seated at a podium. Still, the smile on his face said it all, he was truly happy to be there. There's absolutely no indication that he's worse, so MAYBE we'll see him at New Years in 2007.