Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Game Shows and Probability  (Read 2185 times)

mcsittel

Game Shows and Probability
« on: August 23, 2006, 08:24:42 PM »
Aside from my day job as a meteorologist/computer programmer, I teach statistics at a community college.  Each semester I've wanted to integrate some game shows into our discussion of probability, but haven't had the technology available to show DVDs or videos in the classroom until now.

What would you suggest as the best example(s) of probability in game shows?  I have some ideas but I'd like to hear from other fans as to what you think.  Everything from simple examples to more challenging ones are welcome.  I know we have some fellow teachers out there who I'm sure can help me out with what did/didn't work in the classroom, as well as students who had teachers who used game shows in the curriculum.

Thanks,
Matt

TimK2003

« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2006, 08:41:14 PM »
[quote name=\'mcsittel\' post=\'128759\' date=\'Aug 23 2006, 07:24 PM\']

What would you suggest as the best example(s) of probability in game shows?  I have some ideas but I'd like to hear from other fans as to what you think.  Everything from simple examples to more challenging ones are welcome.  I know we have some fellow teachers out there who I'm sure can help me out with what did/didn't work in the classroom, as well as students who had teachers who used game shows in the curriculum.

[/quote]

"Card Sharks" would be a great game show to use in classes.  Everyone can easily get their own sets of 'study materials' (Decks of Cards).  Showing one card can give you endless probabilities that the next card could be:

•  Higher, Lower, or Push
•  Red or Black
•  Hearts/Diamonds/Spades/Clubs
•  Face Card
•  Etc...  

Teach 'em well and by the end of the semester you'll have the brightest group of up and coming professional card counters!

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2006, 08:42:40 PM »
Four words:  Deal or No Deal.  A significant portion of that game is probability and statistics.  My 11th graders loved watching clips of the different versions of Deal as an introduction to their project, even though only about 1/4 of my students had heard of Deal before then.  My project had my students computing the different combinations of picking boxes in each round for both the US/Aussie game and the UK game.  I have the Deal box game and DVD game in my classroom as we speak, since I have plans to do a similar project with my 10th graders later this year.

The Monty Hall Problem would be good for a college-level course as well.

davidhammett

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2006, 09:04:30 PM »
[quote name=\'mcsittel\' post=\'128759\' date=\'Aug 23 2006, 07:24 PM\']
What would you suggest as the best example(s) of probability in game shows?  I have some ideas but I'd like to hear from other fans as to what you think.  Everything from simple examples to more challenging ones are welcome.  I know we have some fellow teachers out there who I'm sure can help me out with what did/didn't work in the classroom, as well as students who had teachers who used game shows in the curriculum.[/quote]

Hi, Matt... great to see you around again!  Mike took the words out of my mouth with DoND, since it's current and many of the students will likely know about it.  (One of my weekly bonus games this year in my high school classes will switch from being "Jackpot" to DoND.)

The last couple of years, I've had time after the AP Calculus exam to do a short unit on game show math (at the request of the students, and of course I don't refuse).  A lot of what I do comes from TPIR; one of the best probability exercises was to have students calculate the expected value of a Plinko chip when dropped from each of the possible positions.  (Students worked on various positions in pairs and then compared results.)  There's also a good discussion of PYL strategy -- what is the probability, for example, that someone will hit at least one whammy if they are passed four spins?

"High Rollers" is a fun game to play with students, and it offers some obvious probability questions as decisions are made whether to play or pass, as well as deciding which numbers to remove.  Likewise, Tim is right that "Card Sharks" offers some simpler yet similar opportunities.  And, for those wanting a real challenge, try to calculate the probability of someone getting a Lingo in the endgame with 5 balls to pull.

If you plan on using any of these (or other) games in the classroom, there is one key piece of advice I can offer... arrange things so that everyone is on task as much as possible.  It's one reason I don't do something like "Weakest Link," since people get eliminated and have nothing to do.  There's a variety of ways to keep students engaged, but you're sure to have problems if you don't plan to do that.  Likewise, planning is a critical issue as well; my worst experiences with games in my classroom have been those where I've tried to "wing" something without much preparation.

Good luck, and let us all know how things work for you!

David

beatlefreak84

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2006, 10:48:57 PM »
Since you're teaching statistics, I think the best example to use is PYL.  You can either watch episodes in class or use a program like Curt King's to compute confidence intervals, conduct hypothesis testing, and/or make some guesses as to theoretical probabilities of, say, hitting a "Whammy" on any given spin.

I have used this in class before, but, due to time constraints and the amount of data needed to compute a confidence interval using an approximate normal distribution, I usually use one of the famous "Spin War" episodes.  I also only focus on the second round so that I don't have to worry about the differences between the two rounds that could affect the results of the study.

I bring up DOND and LMAD as some "Wow; that's really cool!"-type problems, along with WOF, but the best show, in my mind, to use statistics on is PYL.

Anthony

P.S.  One other choice, if you want to do some interesting probability computations, is '70s Break the Bank.  This, in my mind, is a good source to review some basic probability computations as well as use the math to discuss some strategies of the game (ex. starting with a corner box instead of one in the center of the board).
« Last Edit: August 23, 2006, 10:50:22 PM by beatlefreak84 »
You have da Arm-ee and da Leg-ee!

Temptation Dollars:  the only accepted currency for Lots of Love™

BrandonFG

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2006, 11:21:21 PM »
Friend or Foe, and possibly try to incorporate the "Prisoner Dilemma".
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Strikerz04

• The Money Will be Spent
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2006, 11:30:02 PM »
In 2003, I took AP statistics for my senior year, and we were supposed to do a paper on "The Price is Right". What I did (along with my partner) was that we dissected some probabilities for pricing games, along with the chances for you to get to contestants row during a taping, as well as the chance of making it to the showcase...

...if I can find the paper, I'd find a way to show what I mean.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2006, 12:00:09 AM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'128823\' date=\'Aug 23 2006, 08:21 PM\']
Friend or Foe, and possibly try to incorporate the "Prisoner Dilemma".
[/quote]
That would work well in English class, too.

"Okay, gang, I expect an essay as to why this show completely blew dog on my desk tomorrow morning."
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Robert Hutchinson

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2006, 01:16:34 AM »
I'd have to emphasize TPIR as probably the best source for varied probability material. Even with the simple games, you can compare things like Secret X and Most Expensive, where one game's ultimate odds are much more influenced by knowledge than the other's. It's in the Bag and Hole in One or Two are good for permutations. And on and on.
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

Speedy G

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2006, 06:33:46 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'128833\' date=\'Aug 24 2006, 12:00 AM\']
That would work well in English class, too.

"Okay, gang, I expect a novel as to why this show completely blew dog on my desk tomorrow morning."
[/quote]
Fixed.  =D
Solar-powered flashlight, hour 4 of the Today show, the Purple Parrots.  *rips open envelope, blows into it*