Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: GSF 50 Greatest List - RESULTS THREAD  (Read 112059 times)

wheelloon

GSF 50 Greatest List - RESULTS THREAD
« Reply #240 on: September 08, 2006, 09:03:27 PM »
WLoD didn't crack the top 50 after all? Wow, interesting indeed...

Mirrors the same thoughts I had when I saw Queen for a Day, Bullseye, and Carmen Sandiego didn't make it that high either (yes, all were in my top 50). At least they made the top 100. Glad to see American Gladiators got some other votes besides mine, as well. :)
"I'm dressed as one of the most frightening figures known to man...

A TV game show host."--Pat Sajak

ChrisLambert!

• Overthrow, Sister Havana
« Reply #241 on: September 08, 2006, 09:14:00 PM »
*This* ninny would have voted TAR much higher than Survivor if I hadn't made the decision to leave out reality shows.

It's a more pure game - you're not eliminated because of the ever-popular "strategical" purposes, you're eliminated because your ass came in last place.  Plus, there's non-stop action and the scenery and culture you pick up on is outstanding.

TAR was my favorite TV show, period - until Family Edition ruined everything.
@lambertman

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #242 on: September 08, 2006, 09:36:44 PM »
[quote name=\'ChrisLambert!\' post=\'130784\' date=\'Sep 8 2006, 09:14 PM\']*This* ninny would have voted TAR much higher than Survivor if I hadn't made the decision to leave out reality shows.

It's a more pure game - you're not eliminated because of the ever-popular "strategical" purposes, you're eliminated because your ass came in last place.[/quote]
I was about to post something similar.  IF you're going to include the so-called "reality" shows (which very few of us did), I totally see ranking TAR ahead of Survivor from the standpoint of the game being better.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

WilliamPorygon

« Reply #243 on: September 08, 2006, 10:18:32 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'130739\' date=\'Sep 8 2006, 05:16 PM\']
71. American Gladiators (203)
[/quote]

Number 27 on my list.  I figured it wasn't going to make the top 50, but I'm surprised it placed as high as it did, given that many don't consider it a game show.  (Then again, seeing Survivor and Race in the same area, I guess that spot's about right)

[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'130739\' date=\'Sep 8 2006, 05:16 PM\']
87. Caesar's Challenge (118)
89. Legends of the Hidden Temple (117)
[/quote]

Two more I enjoyed enough to put in the 40's on my list, that I didn't think would even make the top 100.  Casear's Challenge wasn't great, but I enjoyed it anyway (I have a strong preference towards word games).  LotHT is more of a "cult classic", I guess, but I fall in that group.

So was I the only one to list Idiot Savants?

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #244 on: September 08, 2006, 10:31:01 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Fiono Coyne\' post=\'130777\' date=\'Sep 8 2006, 07:02 PM\']
95. PDQ/Baffle (99)

Aww, boo. It's a shame that these shows just don't get much appreciation.
[/quote]
I don't think that's entirely fair.  I think its more fair to say that not very many people have been exposed to them.  Baffle last aired in 1973, right?  I think you'd have to be at least five to remember it (if at all), giving you a birth date of 1968.  That makes you 38.  How many people here are that age or older?

Doesn't help that it has never been shown in reruns, TMK.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2006, 11:32:13 PM by Modor »
--Mark
Phil 4:13

Fedya

« Reply #245 on: September 08, 2006, 10:56:04 PM »
It seems that I picked four shows not in the Top 100.  Feel free to laugh at my selections:

#44 Almost Anything Goes
A nicer stunt show than Dog Eat Dog, and one that would have a natural tie-in with the affiliates if it were remade

#48 All Star Blitz
OK: I liked the puzzle aspect.  No, I didn't want anybody's bottom.  :-)

#49 Blackout
I don't think the idea was that bad, and I enjoyed the bad puns.  I recycled several of them for a revue we did in my senior year of high school

#50 Ultra Quiz
I wouldn't be surprised if I was the only person to vote for this one.  But in today's TV world of progressive-elimination shows like Survivor and The Amazing Race, I'd think there's a place for such a show with a quiz aspect.  And this also came about decades before Anne Robinson started being mean to losing contestants, something which producers would jump on today what with the "twists" in "reality" shows.  And as I understand it, the Japanese versions were even worse.  :-)
-- Ted Schuerzinger, now blogging at <a href=\"http://justacineast.blogspot.com/\" target=\"_blank\">http://justacineast.blogspot.com/[/url]

No Fark slashes were harmed in the making of this post

cweaver

« Reply #246 on: September 08, 2006, 11:17:30 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Fiono Coyne\' post=\'130777\' date=\'Sep 8 2006, 07:02 PM\']
95. PDQ/Baffle (99)

Aww, boo. It's a shame that these shows just don't get much appreciation.

--Jamie
[/quote]

I had it on my list and Matt told me at the time I was the first to mention that one.  I remember Baffle fondly from my childhood and remember how much fun it was.  (I was 9 when it premiered.)  I wouldn't have put it on my list had I not run across the pilot to PDQ as an adult to jog my memory.  I would be a very happy camper if a Baffle episode suddenly turned up but I'm not counting on it.

I knew Dick Enberg as a game show host before I knew him as a sportscaster.  How many people can say that?

Don Howard

« Reply #247 on: September 08, 2006, 11:46:53 PM »
[quote name=\'cweaver\' post=\'130803\' date=\'Sep 8 2006, 11:17 PM\']
I knew Dick Enberg as a game show host before I knew him as a sportscaster.  How many people can say that?
[/quote]
I can. When seeing the mid-1970s Disney motion picture Gus starring Gary Grimes and a mule, where Dick Enberg played a play-by-play announcer, I said, "That's the guy from 3 For The Money".

Sonic Whammy

« Reply #248 on: September 09, 2006, 01:13:36 AM »
Wow... very surprised that again, PYL beat out Line. And no, I was NOT one of the three that voted it as #1. I stayed objective and took favortism out of this. It only ranked #14 on mine. Surprising, eh?

As for the whole thing... let me look here... OK, I found something of mine that didn't make this list.

#30 - Do You Trust Your Wife/Who Do You Trust? - The first rendition had a great format that offered big money potential for its time (without the fix), and the second helped the future King and Prince of Late Night become household names. But both had the same winning formula of strong quizzing and relaxing, comedic banter between the host and the married couples.

Any takers on this one?

(Oh, and Sutton, my friend Robert Brown will probably want to put you up on a pedastal for putting Race at #1. Get in touch with me.)
« Last Edit: September 09, 2006, 01:14:16 AM by Sonic Whammy »
Brian Sapinski

Just Brian Sapinski... for now

Esoteric Eric

« Reply #249 on: September 09, 2006, 02:35:03 AM »
[quote name=\'Fedya\' post=\'130801\' date=\'Sep 8 2006, 07:56 PM\']It seems that I picked four shows not in the Top 100.  Feel free to laugh at my selections:[/quote]Couldn't have said it better myself.  My set of four not in the 100:
#46 Beat the Geeks (and / or Stump the Schwab)*
Fun to get the occasional answer when a geek missed.  (I've never outguessed the Schwab though; I'm better at entertainment trivia than sports trivia.)
#41 The Better Sex
"Whispering Bill" Anderson and pre-Real People Sarah Purcell co-hosting a bluff-or-no-bluff elimination contest.  I especially liked the bonus round vs. audience members.
#39 Couch Potatoes
TV trivia bowl, with the challenging cast-photo-identification bonus round.
And #33 Say When!!
The first show I saw hosted by Art James, a variation on Cullen-era TPIR.

Esoteric Eric... * I got a little carried away with combining similar shows; My #43 rating of Jackpot included Hollywood Showdown, which seemed to me a pair as similar as The 3 W's and The Challengers, although Matt O listed them separately.
Eric Smallman; "...I don't think God ever forgave me for Phyllis Newman..." - "Jimmy Carter" (Dan Aykroyd), SNL, 1976

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #250 on: September 09, 2006, 04:26:46 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'130776\' date=\'Sep 8 2006, 04:57 PM\']In case you haven't noticed yet, we have some real ninnies around here. At least one of them apparently voted.[/quote]And three more Philistines who think that Press Your Luck is the best game show of all.

That was the part that made me do the bug-eyed stare. Not so much that it outranked Card Sharks, but that three of the eighty voters ranked it best of all.
Travis L. Eberle

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #251 on: September 09, 2006, 04:48:51 AM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'130813\' date=\'Sep 9 2006, 01:26 AM\']
That was the part that made me do the bug-eyed stare. Not so much that it outranked Card Sharks, but that three of the eighty voters ranked it best of all.
[/quote]
That doesn't surprise me in the least. However, voting TAR #1...that takes a special kind of person. And I mean "special" in that short-yellow-bus way.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

J.R.

« Reply #252 on: September 09, 2006, 06:13:39 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'130815\' date=\'Sep 9 2006, 03:48 AM\']
That doesn't surprise me in the least. However, voting TAR #1...that takes a special kind of person. And I mean "special" in that short-yellow-bus way.
[/quote]

Sometimes, you really make me sick.

Is having an opinion inherently wrong?

-Joe R.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2006, 06:18:31 AM by JRaygor »
-Joe Raygor

ChrisLambert!

• Overthrow, Sister Havana
« Reply #253 on: September 09, 2006, 09:23:35 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'130815\' date=\'Sep 9 2006, 04:48 AM\']
[/quote]

Nice to know where I stand with you.  Although I always assumed as much.
@lambertman

The Pyramids

« Reply #254 on: September 09, 2006, 10:09:01 AM »
Thanks, Matt, for doing the list.

I am surprised 'Greed' was in the lower half. Really surprising are that  'Press Your Luck' and 'Millionaire' may be outranked by 'Newlywed' and 'Dating Game' unless I missed them earlier in the week.