Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: GSF 50 Greatest List - RESULTS THREAD  (Read 112057 times)

beatlefreak84

GSF 50 Greatest List - RESULTS THREAD
« Reply #270 on: September 09, 2006, 05:02:41 PM »
Well, I guess I should bite the bullet and talk about my four that didn't make the top 100:

#39:  Bumper Stumpers
Yes; the Canadian cheapness was astounding, but it was a fun play-along show, and, unlike most Barry-Enright "avoid the bad guy" bonus games, this one actually required you to know some stuff to win it...:).  Not only that, but all of my roommates/friends who ended up having this show thrown upon them have ended up loving it and now refer to personalized license plates (as I do now!) as "Bumper Stumpers!"  Plus, Al DuBois grew on me as a host.

#45:  World Series of Pop Culture
The execution may not have gone the way we would have liked it to with the unfortunate predictable endings and spoilers, but the game that was there was really fun to me.  It was simple, great to play along with, and wasn't afraid to be tough!  The contestants had quirky personalities, yes, but were also great game players to the point where the quirkiness enhanced the presentation instead of taking away from it.  Plus, I have to give props to Pat Kiernan for this; he did an excellent job as host, and I hope to see him in another hosting capacity in the future (hopefully with this show again!).

#47:  Stump the Schwab
Well, I already explained why I like this show in a previous post about the show, so I'll refer you to that...:).  But, basically, this show is my dinner companion on weeknights, and, again, it's a show with very smart contestants that isn't afraid to be tough!

#50:  Illinois Instant Riches
I can probably make a safe bet that I'm the only one who put this on his/her list, but I did so for two reasons:  First off, it was a really fun lottery show which wasn't just a boring version of "pick numbers, win money," and the rotating games every week made it even more fun to watch; never mind all of that big money up for grabs...:).  Oh, and, secondly, I wanted to have some Chi-town representation on the list...;).

Anthony
« Last Edit: September 09, 2006, 05:04:59 PM by beatlefreak84 »
You have da Arm-ee and da Leg-ee!

Temptation Dollars:  the only accepted currency for Lots of Love™

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #271 on: September 09, 2006, 05:43:15 PM »
[quote name=\'Joe Mello\' post=\'130840\' date=\'Sep 9 2006, 01:07 PM\']What I'd be interested in seeing is the show(s) that got a total of one point in the voting.[/quote]
Done!  The following shows received a vote at #50 on a single ballot, and no votes from any of the 79 other entries.

One's a Cullen!  And...um...one's an Ottinger!

Agriculture USA
Can You Top This?
It Takes Two
Let's Bowl
The Love Experts
QuizBusters
Ruckus
Spin-Off
Triple Threat
Ultra Quiz
Video Power
« Last Edit: September 09, 2006, 05:44:43 PM by Matt Ottinger »
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #272 on: September 09, 2006, 05:50:34 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'130850\' date=\'Sep 9 2006, 02:43 PM\']

Agriculture USA

[/quote]
Huh?
« Last Edit: September 09, 2006, 05:51:30 PM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Chuck Sutton

« Reply #273 on: September 09, 2006, 05:51:25 PM »
Making us wait until Monday for the order of the top 10?

mcsittel

« Reply #274 on: September 09, 2006, 05:52:24 PM »
[quote name=\'beatlefreak84\' post=\'130849\' date=\'Sep 9 2006, 04:02 PM\']
#50:  Illinois Instant Riches
I can probably make a safe bet that I'm the only one who put this on his/her list, but I did so for two reasons:  First off, it was a really fun lottery show which wasn't just a boring version of "pick numbers, win money," and the rotating games every week made it even more fun to watch; never mind all of that big money up for grabs...:).  Oh, and, secondly, I wanted to have some Chi-town representation on the list...;).

Anthony
[/quote]

** You'd lose that bet!  I had IIR *and* Flamingo Fortune on my list.  

Maybe Matt can list all the shows only ONE person voted for when the countdown's done...

Matt

Adam Nedeff

« Reply #275 on: September 09, 2006, 06:11:18 PM »
[quote name=\'mcsittel\' post=\'130853\' date=\'Sep 9 2006, 05:52 PM\']
Maybe Matt can list all the shows only ONE person voted for when the countdown's done...
[/quote]

I've got the wildest hunch that "The Krypton Factor" is going to be on THAT list.

DrBear

« Reply #276 on: September 09, 2006, 06:28:37 PM »
I'm glad I wasn't the only one who voted for:

-Seven Keys
-World Series of Pop Culture.

I like to be wide-ranging.
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

mmb5

« Reply #277 on: September 09, 2006, 06:41:58 PM »
All of my Not 100s were oldies:

37. Two For the Money
39. Play Your Hunch
44. Masquerade Party
45. Strike It Rich (Hull)
46. Who Do You Trust?
50. Winner Take All

All with significant prime time runs except for Trust, which had a six year daytime run and Hunch, which had a five year run.  And all had at least double the episodes of Go.

--Mike
Portions of this post not affecting the outcome have been edited or recreated.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #278 on: September 09, 2006, 06:54:57 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'130850\' date=\'Sep 9 2006, 04:43 PM\']
It Takes Two
[/quote]
Guilty as charged!
21. The Generation Gap
A perfect show to bring back right now (say, people my age answering questions about Jessica Simpson and 50 Cent, my daughter's age being quizzed on Johnny Carson and the Eagles)
This person would have more luck answering the last two than the first two.
I'm 22.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2006, 08:38:14 PM by Modor »
--Mark
Phil 4:13

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
« Reply #279 on: September 09, 2006, 08:57:00 PM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' post=\'130860\' date=\'Sep 9 2006, 06:54 PM\']
21. The Generation Gap
A perfect show to bring back right now (say, people my age answering questions about Jessica Simpson and 50 Cent, my daughter's age being quizzed on Johnny Carson and the Eagles)
I'm 22.
[/quote]

I'm the same as him, and I'm 21.  I never really was big on pop culture.

Anyway, thanks Matt for showing us the worst of the best.  I always ("always" being about 2 years now when I first heard of it, FYI) thought Ultra Quiz was Japanese.  Did I just miss a failed American version?

/My impression of UQ was that it was the Amazing Race without the Race
//and probably a little less Amazing
« Last Edit: September 09, 2006, 09:01:01 PM by Joe Mello »
This signature is currently under construction.

cweaver

« Reply #280 on: September 09, 2006, 08:59:26 PM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' post=\'130860\' date=\'Sep 9 2006, 05:54 PM\']
I'm 22.
[/quote]

Good for you.  My daughter is 16 (I'm in my 40s) and I saw to it she knew about Humphrey Bogart, Jimmy Stewart, Buddy Holly, Elvis, the Beatles, Bob Dylan, Johnny Cash, Johnny Carson, The Andy Griffith Show and a number of other non-current-generational icons.  But every once in awhile I'll still have to explain, say, what American Bandstand was, or listen to her register surprise that Michael J. Fox was actually in another TV series before Spin City.

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #281 on: September 09, 2006, 09:01:46 PM »
[quote name=\'Joe Mello\' post=\'130864\' date=\'Sep 9 2006, 07:57 PM\']
Anyway, thanks Matt for showing us the worst of the best.  I always ("always" being about 2 years now when I first heard of it, FYI) thought Ultra Quiz was Japanese.  Did I just miss a failed American version?
[/quote]
IIRC, there was a one-shot version on NBC in 1981, hosted by Dan Rowan and Dick Martin.  

Of course, back then almost everything that was on NBC failed.

Doug
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #282 on: September 09, 2006, 09:03:24 PM »
[quote name=\'Joe Mello\' post=\'130864\' date=\'Sep 9 2006, 05:57 PM\']Anyway, thanks Matt for showing us the worst of the best.  I always ("always" being about 2 years now when I first heard of it, FYI) thought Ultra Quiz was Japanese.  Did I just miss a failed American version?[/quote]Sorta. The "Laugh-in" guys hosted a one-time special run of the show in the early 80s. Nearly a thousand contestants started, and the one final winner took home $100,000. Players who were able to correctly answer questions would move on to the next location, those who were eliminated had to find their own way to get back home. Almost chapter and verse like the Japanese version, but less "Ultra," maybe "Not Quite as Ultra Quiz" should have been the title.
Travis L. Eberle

cweaver

« Reply #283 on: September 09, 2006, 09:07:05 PM »
[quote name=\'mmb5\' post=\'130859\' date=\'Sep 9 2006, 05:41 PM\']
All of my Not 100s were oldies:

37. Two For the Money
39. Play Your Hunch
44. Masquerade Party
45. Strike It Rich (Hull)
46. Who Do You Trust?
50. Winner Take All [/quote]

You have excellent taste in TV my friend. (BTW I always thought the Dawson remake of MP was underrated.) I probably would've included Who Do You Trust? except I sent my list in weeks ago and never saw a complete episode until just this week.  I had no idea the end game involved isolation booths, seeing Johnny in front of one of the booths was pretty cool.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2006, 09:07:37 PM by cweaver »

wheelloon

« Reply #284 on: September 09, 2006, 09:27:19 PM »
My top 50 that are "not-100's," are an interesting mix...

Trivial Pursuit-I knew Wink as the host of Trivial Pursuit before I knew him as host of Tic Tac Dough (Go ahead, make fun of me). Whenever I was home from school, I flipped on the Family Channel and watched their run of game shows during the day, including TP. Looking back, I thought Wink hosted it all well, and the Interactive Game was an original, neat idea that had a setup future shows, like "Winning Lines," took hints from. Plus, the whole idea behind the Trivial Pursuit game I feel, itself, is excellent, and translated well into a game show.

Just Men It premiered on an important day in NBC game shows, the day when Hit Man and Sale of the Century also premiered. With that, and the main reason I put it in my top 50, was that it was the first game where a woman, Betty White, won the Emmy (and I believe the only one who has deserved to win one) for best game show host, and that's enough! However, it was a fun yet rather unique idea, IMHO, as well...

Masquerade Party-Three networks during its first run, and how many hosts? A good example of how the most basic games (or ideas for ones) can play out so well, and be so much fun. Plus, where else in game shows could you find just about everyone on stage in costume?

Truth or Consequences-Another example of how such a basic idea could be so much fun. Add to it, the show even had its own town named after it!! It had quite a run on both radio and TV, as well, and, possibly most importantly, launched the career of the most enduring game show host of them all...
« Last Edit: September 09, 2006, 09:30:28 PM by wheelloon »
"I'm dressed as one of the most frightening figures known to man...

A TV game show host."--Pat Sajak