Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: GSF 50 Greatest List - RESULTS THREAD  (Read 115519 times)

DrBear

GSF 50 Greatest List - RESULTS THREAD
« Reply #300 on: September 10, 2006, 09:25:43 AM »
[quote name=\'TwoInchQuad\' post=\'130894\' date=\'Sep 10 2006, 02:29 AM\']
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' post=\'130873\' date=\'Sep 9 2006, 07:08 PM\']

Yeah, right.  Next you'll tell me Paul McCartney was in a group before Wings.

Good one.

:-)

Doug
[/quote]

"Paul McCartney was in a group?"

[Now doesn't **that** make you feel old?]    :^)

-Kevin
[/quote]
Yeah, I used to love listening to The Quarrymen? Whatever happened to them? One thing, they needed a better drummer...

(old and damn proud of it)
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #301 on: September 10, 2006, 09:34:35 AM »
TTTT: I can tell you who one of the people was who left the show off his ballot...me. Stone me if you must, but I wasn't a fan of this show.
I'm sure Jason Wuthrich will be along any minute now to throw something at you.  Better duck, Dave.

I personally ranked this show 3rd--right above WML.  I've always enjoyed these two panel shows in particular.

Concentration: Three spots below where I had it, but at least it made the top 10. 4 first place votes! Nice choice, ballotteers. Wouldn't have put it at the top, but solid choices.
I was one who ranked it 1st.  I always enjoyed getting up in my single-integer years to watch "that guy from Jeopardy!" host a different show.  Wish I could see more of the original sometime.

Wheel: I do not like this show. So much so that it placed 30th on my list. And honestly, I'm surprised it's as high as it is. I figured it would barely have made the top ten.
I don't like it either...and now that I've thought about it, I never should have ranked it 14th.

Feud: 9th in my top 50, and would have been higher if not for the train wreck that was the Karn years.
Can't say I've ever made this appointment television.  The families' antics are get old very fast (same with Card Sharks).  Survey Says..........22nd (buzz!)
« Last Edit: September 10, 2006, 10:04:36 AM by Modor »
--Mark
Phil 4:13

SteveRep

« Reply #302 on: September 10, 2006, 09:58:43 AM »
All of my 50 landed in GSF's top 96.

The highest GSF show that I didn't have at all was Split Second at #27.

The highest show I had that didn't make the GSF-50 was Russian Roulette at #28. (GSF = 54) I still think it's the most engaging concept GSN has presented in its originals.

Here are where my other top-50's landed in the collective GSF opinion:

30. Greed (GSF = 59)

Mainly because I paid little or no attention to it when it aired on Fox and I'm still catching new-to-me episodes on GSN. So it's fresh in my mind.

41. Hot Potato (GSF = 60)

Those were the three that I gave sincere thought to. These other three I considered "for-fun" inclusions and, oddly enough, it includes the highest GSF finisher.

46. Street Smarts (GSF = 96)

47. You Don't Say (GSF = 51)

48. 2 Minute Drill (GSF = 71)

Of the shows that were in both top 50's, the biggest gaps were on:

Gong Show (me = 19, GSF = 39)
Weakest Link (me = 26, GSF = 49)

and in the other direction,

I've Got a Secret (me = 45, GSF = 21)

And so, did anyone vote for Sex Wars?
« Last Edit: September 10, 2006, 09:59:55 AM by SteveRep »

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #303 on: September 10, 2006, 10:12:18 AM »
[quote name=\'cweaver\' post=\'130865\' date=\'Sep 9 2006, 07:59 PM\']
[quote name=\'Modor\' post=\'130860\' date=\'Sep 9 2006, 05:54 PM\']
This person would have more luck answering the last two than the first two.
I'm 22.
[/quote]

Good for you.  My daughter is 16 (I'm in my 40s) and I saw to it she knew about Humphrey Bogart, Jimmy Stewart, Buddy Holly, Elvis, the Beatles, Bob Dylan, Johnny Cash, Johnny Carson, The Andy Griffith Show and a number of other non-current-generational icons.
[/quote]
Dixon...not looking down on solely you here at all...but it always annoys me when say, Jeopardy! airs their teen tournaments and it has many "current" pop culture categories on...solely because they expect kids like the mainstream.

Or was I wrong to be listening to 60s and 70s hits in high school?
--Mark
Phil 4:13

BrandonFG

« Reply #304 on: September 10, 2006, 10:15:09 AM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' post=\'130904\' date=\'Sep 10 2006, 10:12 AM\']
[/quote]
Nope...I rarely listened to the current music back then...it's a trend that stuck with me to this day.
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

cweaver

« Reply #305 on: September 10, 2006, 10:33:15 AM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' post=\'130904\' date=\'Sep 10 2006, 09:12 AM\']
[/quote]

You weren't wrong and you weren't alone.  I did, and as recently as the mid 1990s I met one girl who was 16, very attractive and popular, and told me she and her friends loved the Beatles.  Today, however, I detect some type of aversion from younger people to the past.  It's not all of them but it's a lot of them.  

I remember when I was in middle and high school (the 1970s), everyone seemed surprised and fascinated when we found out Dean Martin and Jerry Lewis were once a comedy team (ditto Bob Hope and Bing Crosby) and laughed out loud at Abbott & Costello.  And we listened to a lot of '60s music.

wheelloon

« Reply #306 on: September 10, 2006, 01:46:43 PM »
Seeing a list where the top 10 (thus far) include Wheel, Feud, Concentration, and Hollywood Squares (plus, a relatively good idea of what's still yet to come), this is the first list of its kind I've seen that I can actually say has a decent amount of "credibility..."

Though Concentration is my 2nd favorite GS of them all, I ranked it 8th (optimism: come on NBC, do the right thing and bring it back!), Feud 4th, HS 6th, and TTTT 11th. One of the reasons why I had Feud and HS higher than maybe a lot of others is that I also took into account what I felt each show's impact on pop culture, and "everyday life" have been. With FF and HS having more current, substantial runs in recent history, that is the main reason I placed them higher than Concentration and TTTT.

[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'130878\' date=\'Sep 9 2006, 11:53 PM\']
[color=\"#009900\"]7 Wheel of Fortune (1975-present)[/color]
(3086 77/80)(1 first place vote)(GSN: 6)(TVG: 25)

Aside from a couple of modern shows, the only one on the list that's never been out of production since its premiere.  Woolery left, though.
[/quote]
I like being an individual, hehehe!! ;)

Though, from an analytical standpoint, having only 1 first place vote, while making it to number 7, as compared to the rest of the top 10 so far, which have at least 2 first place ones, it looks like Wheel may have been averaging a higher place on a lot more lists than one might expect...
"I'm dressed as one of the most frightening figures known to man...

A TV game show host."--Pat Sajak

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #307 on: September 10, 2006, 02:00:05 PM »
[quote name=\'Chuck Sutton\' post=\'130895\' date=\'Sep 10 2006, 05:36 AM\']
I just happen to think a recent show that is exciting, thrilling, and well made, takes you to exotic locals, and somehow always getts you rooting for someone and against someone is the best ever.

BTW a show that nearly every year been listed by critics as one the ten best shows on television(not Jeopardy or The Price is Right)  And 4 straight awards Emmys in a category created becuase the producers of Millionaire did not want to stuck in the daytime Emmys.
[/quote]
Then, I am curious to know why you said this. You know, the part about saying "there is no way it should replace one of the 13 left". Seems awfully contradictory to me.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2006, 02:01:10 PM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

ChrisLambert!

• Overthrow, Sister Havana
« Reply #308 on: September 10, 2006, 02:00:59 PM »
[quote name=\'SteveRep\' post=\'130883\' date=\'Sep 10 2006, 12:49 AM\']
When voting for 'great,' you sometimes have to leave out 'like.' Or at least minimize its impact.
[/quote]

Eh, I tackled this from the exact opposite route, almost. I figured if had a huge impact on the genre, and I didn't like it, voting it at a low number wasn't going to lessen its overall placing while still keeping true to my own opinions.

Or something like that. I had Wheel and Feud in my second 25 (I think) with no misgivings. Similarly, I had no problem putting Rock Star as my #1 show.

-C

/yes, kidding
/you mean Tommy Lee was in a band before Supernova?
@lambertman

rialtus

« Reply #309 on: September 10, 2006, 03:16:38 PM »
[quote name=\'tpirfan28\' post=\'130673\' date=\'Sep 7 2006, 08:38 PM\']So that means AT LEAST one person didn't vote for TPiR.  Incredible.   But I kinda figured coming out of this group for some odd reason.[/quote]Not everyone that likes game shows like TPiR. I, for one, really can't stand the show. And no, I'm not kidding. However, I did have TPiR on my list for many of the same reasons as people had TTD on their list -- respect for the longevity and popularity of the show.

/"Actions are immoral. Opinions are not. And I won't apologize for mine."
//waits for the ninny comment

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #310 on: September 10, 2006, 03:26:35 PM »
[quote name=\'rialtus\' post=\'130928\' date=\'Sep 10 2006, 12:16 PM\']
//waits for the ninny comment
[/quote]
Yer a....no, wait, that was a completely logical, well-reasoned, and non-contradictory argument. You DO realize this is the Game Show Forum, right? :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Ian Wallis

« Reply #311 on: September 10, 2006, 06:37:13 PM »
[quote name=\'cweaver\' post=\'130827\' date=\'Sep 9 2006, 10:37 AM\']

48. Rhyme & Reason
If nothing else, a show that gives Nipsey Russell a chance to be Nipsey Russell...and Jaye P. Morgan another chance to swear during a taping. (OK maybe that last one wasn't such a good idea.) The bizarre finale is the stuff of show biz legend.
[/quote]

I have vague memories of the last episode - I must have seen it because it aired during the summer.  Although I didn't rank it in my top 50, I liked the show and I'm glad at least the pilot survives.

Similar thing with Baffle, which was mentioned a few posts up the thread.  I remember watching it occasionally when it was on - but it would help if an episode of it was available to job the memory!
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

Ian Wallis

« Reply #312 on: September 10, 2006, 06:54:15 PM »
Why should ANYONE have to defend their choices for favorite game shows?

One thing about this is that opinions change.  For me, shows have gone up and down my personal list many times over the years, and the list I submitted is how I feel about them now.  I could rank half of them differently six months from now.

Still, this has been a really interesting thread and I'd like to thank Matt for his work on it.  It got us talking about a lot of old favorites again!!
« Last Edit: September 10, 2006, 06:54:30 PM by Ian Wallis »
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

Don Howard

« Reply #313 on: September 10, 2006, 09:09:15 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'130850\' date=\'Sep 9 2006, 05:43 PM\']
[quote name=\'Joe Mello\' post=\'130840\' date=\'Sep 9 2006, 01:07 PM\']What I'd be interested in seeing is the show(s) that got a total of one point in the voting.[/quote]
Done!  The following shows received a vote at #50 on a single ballot, and no votes from any of the 79 other entries.

(list snipped, but the memory remains)

[/quote]
Someone other than me voted for What's Going On?
It's time to honor Lee!
« Last Edit: September 10, 2006, 09:09:38 PM by Don Howard »

Chuck Sutton

« Reply #314 on: September 10, 2006, 09:49:55 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'130921\' date=\'Sep 10 2006, 02:00 PM\']
Then, I am curious to know why you said this. You know, the part about saying "there is no way it should replace one of the 13 left". Seems awfully contradictory to me.
[/quote]

Because I could put it at #1 and still list all of those 13, like I did.  It did not replace a single one. It was easy; when you don't put Freakin' Studs on the list.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2006, 09:57:41 PM by Chuck Sutton »