Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: GSF 50 Greatest List - RESULTS THREAD  (Read 115564 times)

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
GSF 50 Greatest List - RESULTS THREAD
« Reply #60 on: August 31, 2006, 02:52:27 PM »
Password ranked near the top of my list.  Pyramid would have been my #1, had I not factored Donny into it.

And, because of me, Go is ranked where it is. ;)
--Mark
Phil 4:13

SteveRep

« Reply #61 on: August 31, 2006, 05:18:17 PM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' post=\'129971\' date=\'Aug 31 2006, 02:52 PM\']
Pyramid would have been my #1, had I not factored Donny into it.
[/quote]
The Donny version was a non-factor for me. The enormity of how the show was done with Clark, Cullen and even Davidson squashes the revival into the dust that it is.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #62 on: August 31, 2006, 05:31:03 PM »
[quote name=\'SteveRep\' post=\'129986\' date=\'Aug 31 2006, 02:18 PM\']
The Donny version was a non-factor for me. The enormity of how the show was done with Clark, Cullen and even Davidson squashes the revival into the dust that it is.
[/quote]
Yeah, but that doesn't give Mark the opportunity to complain about something.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

comicus

« Reply #63 on: August 31, 2006, 05:41:52 PM »
I very much enjoyed both Go and Whew!, but neither made my top 50.  Had it been a top 60, however...

Chuck Sutton

« Reply #64 on: August 31, 2006, 05:53:46 PM »
I did not have Whew,  Although in the two days I spent compiling and refining the list.  Whew just kept poping in my head, but I still never put in on the list.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2006, 05:56:42 PM by Chuck Sutton »

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #65 on: August 31, 2006, 05:58:13 PM »
Guys, just want you to know that the "release" of the next five or ten will be delayed until extremely late tonight.  It's the first home football game for Okemos High School (Go Chiefs!) and it's taking me a lot longer than I thought to get ready.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

wheelloon

« Reply #66 on: August 31, 2006, 06:06:14 PM »
When GSN first started their 50 greatest list, and after the first couple of weeks seeing... you know, I decided I should make my own list, given that by that point, I had thrown the credibility of GSN's out the window. I did spend some time on it, at least a couple of hours, since I obsess about these kind of things.

When I made the list, I decided I was going to take into account many aspects, including the shows' originality, individuality, hosting, gameplay, popularity (and in some cases, infamy), longevity, but probably most importantly, the effect of the show(s) on the current "status" of culture, mindset, and popular TV in the U.S.

I started by writing down EVERY game show I knew and deserved to be in a "Top" status of anything. With that, my list was about 100 or so. I then went through it, and scratched off about 30 or so that I felt weren't high enough, and from that point on, that's where I had to start thinking. In my original list, the top 3 are tied (and if Matt allowed ties, that's exactly how I would've submitted them).

*Struggles to remember list, not having it on the computer being used*

Well, neither GO nor CR made my list, but I remember Gong being in top half. Deal or no Deal was in the 40's I believe, WWW and BtB didn't make it, but YBYL was in the teens or high twenties, same with College Bowl (I'm in College Bowl right now, so I HAD to give it some credit). And yes, I'll admit it, I placed Twenty-One in 21st place, though it was not my original intention. Though all the scandal surrounds it, I still thought, and did when it came back, that it was still one hell of a good game. Originally, it was like 22 or 23, and reviewing the list at one point, I just said "eh, what the heck". :)
« Last Edit: August 31, 2006, 06:07:58 PM by wheelloon »
"I'm dressed as one of the most frightening figures known to man...

A TV game show host."--Pat Sajak

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #67 on: August 31, 2006, 06:07:52 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'129995\' date=\'Aug 31 2006, 02:58 PM\']
Guys, just want you to know that the "release" of the next five or ten will be delayed until extremely late tonight.  It's the first home football game for Okemos High School (Go Chiefs!) and it's taking me a lot longer than I thought to get ready.
[/quote]
On a Thursday? Odd. Do you produce, or call the game?
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Chuck Sutton

« Reply #68 on: August 31, 2006, 06:26:31 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'129995\' date=\'Aug 31 2006, 05:58 PM\']
[/quote]

Darn!

Enjoy the game.

The Ol' Guy

« Reply #69 on: August 31, 2006, 08:12:16 PM »
I'm with you, Mike. GO just seemed like it was something haphazardly slapped together....the players bouncing back and forth between teammates appeared to be an attempt to create added excitement by having bodies flying around the stage. The game mechanic is exciting enough, thank you. The bouncing around was very distracting. If just adding motion supposedly creates a better game, then Bob should have revived Pyramid with both players on a team doing jumping jacks while describing and and guessing subjects. The Riddlers even had a touch of that...watch the glowing diamond race from end to end while recycling old Jackpot material. Sheesh.....

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #70 on: August 31, 2006, 08:58:41 PM »
[quote name=\'The Ol' Guy\' post=\'130008\' date=\'Aug 31 2006, 05:12 PM\']
I'm with you, Mike. GO just seemed like it was something haphazardly slapped together....the players bouncing back and forth between teammates appeared to be an attempt to create added excitement by having bodies flying around the stage. The game mechanic is exciting enough, thank you. The bouncing around was very distracting. If just adding motion supposedly creates a better game, then Bob should have revived Pyramid with both players on a team doing jumping jacks while describing and and guessing subjects. The Riddlers even had a touch of that...watch the glowing diamond race from end to end while recycling old Jackpot material. Sheesh.....[/quote]And if "Go" was done on radio, I would be in total agreement with you on that. Except we're watching a TV show, and television is all ABOUT the movement. A simple race to five becomes something more, and the score is shown in a clever way (how far down the line the "rover" is)

And I'm also of the opinion that Go has one of the best games, and one of the best playalong games ("say 'umpire," you ninny!" during the cluegiving)...it's so good I can forgive the slapped together scoring.
If you didn’t create it, it isn’t your content.

cweaver

« Reply #71 on: August 31, 2006, 09:06:09 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'129999\' date=\'Aug 31 2006, 05:07 PM\']

On a Thursday? Odd. Do you produce, or call the game?
[/quote]

Not so odd here in Alabama where I just finished shooting a high school arch-rivalry opener.  Mostly they happen on Fridays but a few still play under Thursday night lights.

chad1m

« Reply #72 on: August 31, 2006, 09:25:58 PM »
Oh, yeah. My HS team is playing tonight. I think it's due to the Labor Day weekend.

mmb5

« Reply #73 on: August 31, 2006, 10:29:32 PM »
[quote name=\'SteveRep\' post=\'129969\' date=\'Aug 31 2006, 02:48 PM\']
[quote name=\'mmb5\' post=\'129940\' date=\'Aug 31 2006, 11:46 AM\']
The alternating word thing is like fingernails on a chalkboard.[/quote]
The alternating word thing is THE thing that gets this show into the top 50.

The test is to see how quickly two people can get on the same page in trying to convey a thought to a third person.

It's a game of communication skills. For me, that's the biggest element that makes a game show good. That's why I have Password and Pyramid as #2 and #3 on my list.
[/quote]

The alternating word thing is THE thing that gets this show in my bottom 50.  Why not have them use air horns?  Just as much a novelty, and frankly to me, more watchable.  Yes, I realize I'm in a minority here, but if this was some game from the 60s with no surviving episodes, nobody would be wondering about it here.  It's a weaker game than maybe Chain Letter, and that sure isn't going to make the list.

And to answer someone else's question for Matt, he produces the games.  Football is done on Thursdays before Labor Day in Michigan for many schools.

--Mike
Portions of this post not affecting the outcome have been edited or recreated.

Sonic Whammy

« Reply #74 on: September 01, 2006, 01:18:17 AM »
Random thought about Go, one that's probably been thought of before.

It might have worked slightly better if it set up like Scrabble did it after they changed their format up a little bit: Make the teams play the SAME set of words (putting one team under the headphones, of course). This way you don't have to claim you got stuck with the junkier words.

I considered the idea that the two packets could be in separate categories, too, but I like the first idea better.

Also might have helped if the four players on the teams were related. That might be just me, though. The show needed a lot of work to me, no matter what.
Brian Sapinski

Just Brian Sapinski... for now