Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Best year to be a celeb  (Read 2383 times)

pyrfan

Best year to be a celeb
« on: September 29, 2006, 10:50:18 PM »
Okay, you're a game-show celebrity. You now have the opportunity to choose what calendar year in history in which you want to be a game-show celeb and which five shows you want to appear on regularly. What year do you choose, and what are the five games?

Brendan

cweaver

Best year to be a celeb
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2006, 12:13:41 AM »
[quote name=\'pyrfan\' post=\'132993\' date=\'Sep 29 2006, 09:50 PM\']
Okay, you're a game-show celebrity. You now have the opportunity to choose what calendar year in history in which you want to be a game-show celeb and which five shows you want to appear on regularly. What year do you choose, and what are the five games?
[/quote]

Five shows? Regularly?  Holy cow,  when am I going to have time to do my weekly crime drama where I jump out of a Lincoln Continental every week and roll down a hill, not to mention that summer stock of "Pippin" I promised to do out in Connecticut?

I would say 1974.  That way I could play Password and The $10,000 Pyramid, let off a little steam with the fun of Match Game '74, then do a couple more shows that don't require such heavy lifting like Celebrity Sweepstakes and The Hollywood Squares.   Between my private eye show and musical dinner theatre I might try to squeeze in a What's My Line? panel appearance if they're taping.  

That should leave me enough money for the call girls I always use in Vegas, one of which will ultimately result in my death in 1987 at age 59.  Well, that and the drinking.

BobbyLankford_83

Best year to be a celeb
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2006, 12:43:46 AM »
Hmmm... I would say late 1976, I could do Match Game '76 and PM joining Brett Somers, Charles Nelson Reilly, Elaine Joyce, Richard Dawson and Betty White (or Fannie Flagg) ,and have fun with them and Gene Rayburn, who had a damn good sense of humor, then do Hollywood Squares and be between Dr. Joyce Brothers and Redd Foxx. Then after shows in Reno, Vegas, Tahoe and a Carson appearance, I could do Break The Bank, Jack Barry, sitting by Barbara Eden  then later do Pyramid with Jo Anne Worley as the other guest, and then do TTTT filling in for Bill Cullen who's in for Garry Moore and sitting with Peggy Cass, Kitty Carlisle and Gene Rayburn (or Nipsey Russell).

Craig Karlberg

Best year to be a celeb
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2006, 03:46:31 AM »
Hmm.  I might've been too young at the time, but I'd go with 1976 & here's my 5:

Celebrity Sweepstakes
Break The Bank
Match Game '76
The Hollywood Squares
Rhyme & Reason(the last one might stretch it a bit)

BrandonFG

Best year to be a celeb
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2006, 04:50:29 AM »
I'll go with 1974 as well...my five shows are Hollywood Squares, Pyramid, Match Game, Celebrity Sweepstakes, and Password
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Ian Wallis

Best year to be a celeb
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2006, 04:40:14 PM »
I'll go with 1976.

Break the Bank
Celebrity Sweepstakes
Hollywood Squares
Match Game 76
$20,000 Pyramid

Heck...forget the rest and give me a full-time job on Match Game 76!  What a great way to make a living that would be! :)
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

WhammyPower

Best year to be a celeb
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2006, 05:33:53 PM »

Match Game
Whew!
To Tell The Truth
Chain Reaction
Family Feud
« Last Edit: October 01, 2006, 05:34:12 PM by WhammyPower »

Don Howard

Best year to be a celeb
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2006, 10:54:23 PM »
Oh, 1975 to be sure. This'd give me a chance to strut my brain power on Blankety Blanks, show off my pinball wizardry on The Magnificent Marble Machine, play for a viewer chosen from the telephone directory on Let's Make A Deal, win money for the banana section on Tattletales and test my poetry skills on Rhyme And Reason.

Jay Temple

Best year to be a celeb
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2006, 01:16:56 AM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' post=\'133134\' date=\'Oct 1 2006, 09:54 PM\']
Oh, 1975 to be sure. This'd give me a chance to strut my brain power on Blankety Blanks, show off my pinball wizardry on The Magnificent Marble Machine, play for a viewer chosen from the telephone directory on Let's Make A Deal, win money for the banana section on Tattletales and test my poetry skills on Rhyme And Reason.
[/quote]
(slaps forehead) How could I forget Blankety Blanks? I agree with 1975, but I'll replace LMaD with The $25,000 Pyramid.
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

DoorNumberFour

• ChristianCarrion.com
Best year to be a celeb
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2006, 04:44:18 PM »
I'll take 1975:

*Celebrity Sweepstakes (looks like fun!)
*Password (intellectual+fun)
*The Money Maze (to run the maze with Soupy or Anita for a week)
*Showoffs (Charades own.)
*Rhyme and Reason (more opportunity to be creative with answers than MG)
Digital Media Producer, National Archives of Game Show History
"Tell Us About Yourself: Conversations with Game Show Contestants" available on all streaming services
christian@christiancarrion.com

uncamark

Best year to be a celeb
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2006, 02:30:58 PM »
[quote name=\'DoorNumberFour\' post=\'133477\' date=\'Oct 4 2006, 03:44 PM\']
*Rhyme and Reason (more opportunity to be creative with answers than MG)
[/quote]

Disclaimer:  "Responses are provided to some celebrities."  Translation:  Everyone but Nipsey.

Since the game was which rhyming words the contestants chose, no harm, no foul.

Jay Temple

Best year to be a celeb
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2006, 12:23:43 AM »
[quote name=\'Jay Temple\' post=\'133383\' date=\'Oct 4 2006, 12:16 AM\']
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' post=\'133134\' date=\'Oct 1 2006, 09:54 PM\']
[/quote]
(slaps forehead) How could I forget Blankety Blanks? I agree with 1975, but I'll replace LMaD with The $25,000 Pyramid.
[/quote]
I still didn't think it all the way through. Assuming that I don't have to choose five shows that were on the schedule all at the same time, I make one change ...
Blankety Blanks
$25,000 Pyramid
The Magnificent Marble Machine
Rhyme and Reason and the final replacement, I promise, ...
Musical Chairs
I'd still like to bring that one back.
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.