Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Which DoND home game do you pick?  (Read 1735 times)

Neumms

Which DoND home game do you pick?
« on: September 06, 2006, 12:20:20 PM »
While I'm not an avid viewer, my 12 year-old nephew apparently loves "Deal or No Deal." As a good uncle who, as I'm sure you understand, wants to encourage any glimmer of game show interest in the chap, which home game do I give him? There have been any number of threads, but I don't think any have compared them.

Do I get him the traditional board game version, or go new school which may be funner? He has access to DVD, PC and Nintendo 64.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2006, 12:55:28 PM »
[quote name=\'Neumms\' post=\'130487\' date=\'Sep 6 2006, 09:20 AM\']
Do I get him the traditional board game version, or go new school which may be funner? He has access to DVD, PC and Nintendo 64.
[/quote]
Depends, does he have friends / parents who would play the board game with him? If it were me (and it's totally not; as I've said before, the concept of DoND as a game played for fun is utterly lost on me) I'd go with the handheld electronic one, since you can play that pretty much anywhere and with any number of players.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2006, 05:02:28 PM »
[quote name=\'Neumms\' post=\'130487\' date=\'Sep 6 2006, 11:20 AM\']
Nintendo 64.
[/quote]
My apologies.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

chad1m

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2006, 05:08:08 PM »
Now, now, for its time the N64 was pretty good. Nowadays, I'd think he should have something a bit more disc-like.

Going with the thread, I too would suggest the handheld version. I haven't played any of them, but for a twelve-year-old who's friends and relatives may or may not share the game show love, I'd think it would be a safe bet.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2006, 05:10:41 PM by chad1m »

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2006, 05:19:05 PM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' post=\'130508\' date=\'Sep 6 2006, 02:02 PM\']
My apologies.
[/quote]
Way to SJTS*. It's a dead system today, sure, but in its day there were a LOT of great games available for the N64. I have yet to see anyone do something like Blast Corps, for one. Now that Microsoft owns Rare, I'd love to see them do an updated one for the 360.

*Snark Just To Snark
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

mcsittel

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2006, 06:00:49 PM »
[quote name=\'Neumms\' post=\'130487\' date=\'Sep 6 2006, 11:20 AM\']
Do I get him the traditional board game version, or go new school which may be funner? [/quote]

I have the handheld, board game and DVD versions.  The handheld is my favorite, but for involving others in the game the DVD works well, but can be slow.  On the PC it runs quickly, but on our DVD/VCR combo it's slow-and scrolling from case to case can take awhile.  The board game works great if you want some suspense in the reveal of the amounts-but be aware there's nothing included to help you make a bank offer.  I created a spreadsheet to make estimates, but then again I play with my 3-year-old and he could care less what the offer is ("Daddy the offer is...eleventy hundred!"  In his numbering system eighty and ninety are logically followed by tenty and eleventy!) ... I strive though to make his experience as realistic as possible!  He likes to close the 'windows' on the board as each value is drawn-so he's gotten good at matching and knowing when I say 'x thousand' where to find it on the ascending values.

Matt

Neumms

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2006, 11:44:25 AM »
[quote name=\'mcsittel\' post=\'130516\' date=\'Sep 6 2006, 05:00 PM\']
I play with my 3-year-old and he could care less what the offer is ("Daddy the offer is...eleventy hundred!"  In his numbering system eighty and ninety are logically followed by tenty and eleventy!)
[/quote]

This does confirm that "Deal or No Deal" could be played by a 3 year old! Thanks tons everybody for your help.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2006, 11:44:54 AM by Neumms »

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2006, 06:57:50 PM »
[quote name=\'mcsittel\' post=\'130516\' date=\'Sep 6 2006, 06:00 PM\']("Daddy the offer is...eleventy hundred!"  In his numbering system eighty and ninety are logically followed by tenty and eleventy!)[/quote]
My students do the same thing.  Sadly, they're at least a dozen years older.