Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: More of 'I've Got A Secret'?  (Read 6690 times)

The Pyramids

More of 'I've Got A Secret'?
« on: September 15, 2006, 06:37:59 PM »
I disagree with the assertion that GSN ruined 'I've Got A Secret.' Bill Dwyer is particularly good. Anyone else  hope for a second season?

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2006, 06:43:07 PM »
[quote name=\'PaulD\' post=\'131721\' date=\'Sep 15 2006, 03:37 PM\']
I disagree with the assertion that GSN ruined 'I've Got A Secret.' Bill Dwyer is particularly good. Anyone else  hope for a second season?
[/quote]
I'm not sure where you saw that assertion made. I think most folks here had a fairly high opinion of the show.

Or did I miss something?
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2006, 06:44:45 PM »
I think the general opinion of it around here is positive (including my own), but I've certainly heard complaints as well, both here and elsewhere.  There has been no announcement about a second season.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Chuck Sutton

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2006, 06:53:08 PM »
I love the show.  The "It's raining men" episode was funnier than any sitcom the past year.

clemon79

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2006, 06:55:18 PM »
[quote name=\'Chuck Sutton\' post=\'131726\' date=\'Sep 15 2006, 03:53 PM\']
I love the show.  The "It's raining men" episode was funnier than any sitcom the past year.
[/quote]
I wouldn't go _that_ far, but it was indeed a very good episode. :)

BrandonFG

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2006, 10:34:10 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'131723\' date=\'Sep 15 2006, 06:43 PM\']
I'm not sure where you saw that assertion made. I think most folks here had a fairly high opinion of the show.

Or did I miss something?
[/quote]
I know that Perfesser had a scathing review of it on his site.

/I also know that you don't read Perfesser's site. ;-)
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

clemon79

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2006, 04:59:45 AM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'131744\' date=\'Sep 15 2006, 07:34 PM\']
I know that Perfesser had a scathing review of it on his site.

/I also know that you don't read Perfesser's site. ;-)
[/quote]
And now, my level of surprise after learning that the Perfesser thought poorly of a very openly pro-gay television show: :|

/shocked, I tell you
« Last Edit: September 16, 2006, 05:00:03 AM by clemon79 »

GS Warehouse

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2006, 11:06:55 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'131762\' date=\'Sep 16 2006, 04:59 AM\']
And now, my level of surprise after learning that the Perfesser thought poorly of a very openly pro-gay television show: :|[/quote]
SB wasn't thrilled with all the nudists on TTTT00, either.

/if only Brooke Burns was one of them...

CoreyArcher

• Pick a corner
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2006, 01:55:22 PM »
IGAS is my favorite of all the GSN originals, and this is coming from someone who, as a general rule, isn't particularly drawn to panel shows. The retro vibe is pitch-perfect, and the panel has surprisingly proved to be both engaging and adept at the game. It's also the only GSN show that my non game show-obsessed friends openly praise. When it was airing for an hour at 8 p.m. Saturday nights, we'd watch it before popping our movie of the night in the DVD player.

So they probably won't make any more episodes.

The gay thing shouldn't be a big problem for anyone (except folks like Beverly, I suppose), because it's rarely more than subtext (here's the straight man to our panel...).

uncamark

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2006, 04:55:45 PM »
[quote name=\'CoreyArcher\' post=\'131775\' date=\'Sep 16 2006, 12:55 PM\']
The gay thing shouldn't be a big problem for anyone (except folks like Beverly, I suppose), because it's rarely more than subtext (here's the straight man to our panel...).
[/quote]

Technically, Beverly didn't say that the gay thing bothered him--it was the "innuendo" that didn't fit his view that game shows should be Wholesome Family Entertainment (despite the fact that the original "IGAS" was never really a show for kids in its time).  But we knew what he was really thinking.

geno57

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2006, 12:39:49 AM »
Anybody heard any rumblings, yet, as to whether there'll be more?  My partner (of almost 30 years) and I love the chemistry.  Dwyer's a great host, and the panel provides a lot of laughs.

Beverly who?  (LOL!)

Don Howard

« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2006, 08:33:53 PM »
[quote name=\'PaulD\' post=\'131721\' date=\'Sep 15 2006, 06:37 PM\']
I disagree with the assertion that GSN ruined 'I've Got A Secret.' [/quote]
I do, however, agree that Oxygen did their level best to ruin I've Got A Secret.

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2006, 12:30:24 AM »
I've heard assertions that GSN ruined I've Got a Secret, and I wholly disagree.  This IGAS can be described with the same four words that you can describe just about any other version there ever was: Your Mileage May Vary

If you liked it before, there's nothing missing.  If you didn't like it before, there's nothing added.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2006, 12:30:36 AM by Joe Mello »
This signature is currently under construction.

DrBear

« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2006, 08:58:18 AM »
Ah, the O2 IGAS...

Good: Stephanie Miller wasn't a bad host, and they did have Steve Allen on as a guest once.

Bad: Three people who couldn't guess what a hand was if it was in front of their faces. (Amy Yasbeck occasionally had a smart moment so I'm not including her here). And while I still haven't seen the gsn IGAS (the cost-benefit ratio of digital cable has faded), having Bullock on the O2 version should have scared them away from the all-you known what panel in the new one.

Oh, and the relative lack of demonstrations in the O2 version didn't help. What made the original fun was the demonstrations of crazy stuff, often going awry.
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2006, 09:17:28 AM »
[quote name=\'DrBear\' post=\'133400\' date=\'Oct 4 2006, 08:58 AM\']
And while I still haven't seen the gsn IGAS (the cost-benefit ratio of digital cable has faded), having Bullock on the O2 version should have scared them away from the all-you known what panel in the new one.[/quote]
I completely agree with your assessment of the Oxygen IGAS, but I think you're way off base here.  If you're going to make sweeping generalizations about gays and game shows, I'd much prefer that you point to Paul Lynde, Charles Nelson Reilly and Fannie Flagg as your examples than the talentless Bullock.

The GSN panel is terrific, a fine mix of serious game players (mostly Bean) and laugh getters (mostly DeCaro).  Even Jermaine, who essentially has the Betsy Palmer/Jm J Bullock role of "ditz", is still a better game player than either of them were.  I'm disappointed that we haven't heard anything about doing more shows, because I thought they were doing well for the network.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.