Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Need NYC J! tickets for Thu, 10/5, 7 PM taping  (Read 4351 times)

ChuckNet

Need NYC J! tickets for Thu, 10/5, 7 PM taping
« on: September 25, 2006, 03:39:52 PM »
If anyone has some extras they'd be willing to part with, let me know...I'm sure we can work something out. Thanks!

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

Queen of Nerdocrombesia

« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2006, 10:51:01 PM »
I'd love to help, that is, if my tickets would ever come.  

I'm starting to think it's one of those "lost in the mail" situations- and I sent it in the day of the Trebek interview.  Has anyone gotten their tickets yet?
"These days, if a show doesn't make it in a couple of weeks, it goes out in the alley.  Faith has become too expensive."

--Garry Moore, 1979

ChuckNet

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2006, 12:28:06 AM »
[quote name=\'Queen of Nerdocrombesia\' post=\'132629\' date=\'Sep 25 2006, 10:51 PM\']
I'd love to help, that is, if my tickets would ever come.  

I'm starting to think it's one of those "lost in the mail" situations- and I sent it in the day of the Trebek interview.  Has anyone gotten their tickets yet?
[/quote]

Seems like quite a few people have gotten their tix...some are being sold on eBay, craigslist, etc.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

cmjb13

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2006, 08:58:02 AM »
I received one of my letters yesterday (I had sent out SASE for every taping, max of 4 tickets just to cover myself). It was basically a small piece of cardboard stating that they received around 200,000 ticket requests and due to that, I didn't get any tickets.

What I don't know is if I'm denied for all the taping dates I requested or just one (or a few) in particular. My hunch says I'll get all the envelopes back with hopefully some tickets. Maybe I should have sent the letter overnight.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2006, 08:58:30 AM by cmjb13 »
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

jrjgames

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2006, 07:00:46 PM »
[quote name=\'cmjb13\' post=\'132651\' date=\'Sep 26 2006, 08:58 AM\']
I received one of my letters yesterday (I had sent out SASE for every taping, max of 4 tickets just to cover myself). It was basically a small piece of cardboard stating that they received around 200,000 ticket requests and due to that, I didn't get any tickets.

What I don't know is if I'm denied for all the taping dates I requested or just one (or a few) in particular. My hunch says I'll get all the envelopes back with hopefully some tickets. Maybe I should have sent the letter overnight.
[/quote]

I was in Harry's office and there were CARTONS of mail requesting tickets and you're right, anyone that sent a SASE will get back a signed postcard from Alex instead of tickets.  In their defense, they all felt so bad they could not send tickets to everyone.

John

goongas

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2006, 09:29:09 PM »
I have one or two tickets for Thursday morning and Saturday at one.  E-mail me if interested.  They are free.

cmjb13

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2006, 08:35:24 PM »
This is all that I received.

Not signed.
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

TimK2003

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2006, 10:23:16 AM »
[quote name=\'cmjb13\' post=\'132651\' date=\'Sep 26 2006, 08:58 AM\']
[/quote]

Just out of curiosity, is there some written or unwritten rule anywhere that states that game shows -- particularly the ones that do special tapings "on the road" --  *cannot* charge for tickets?

One would think that with all of the high demand for tickets (like J! in NYC), that Sony could sell the tickets through a specific ticket outlet and take the monies received and either donate the proceeds to charity or use it to purchase nice t-shirts or souvenir trinkets for each audience member to take home on their way out the door.  

As far as regular tapings back at their home bases, game shows would have a hell of a time to find enough people who would pay to see a show *and* fill the studio to capacity -- except for maybe TPiR.

goongas

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2006, 11:50:24 AM »
Just out of curiosity, is there some written or unwritten rule anywhere that states that game shows -- particularly the ones that do special tapings "on the road" --  *cannot* charge for tickets?

There is no rule that I am aware of.  American Idol charges people to attend the finale at the Kodak Theatre.  The reason that they don't charge is they do not want to alienate the audience (although one could argue not letting people in with a ticket because they reached maximum capacity alienates people).  If you pay money for a taping, and you are disappointed with what you see (not enough games, too many breaks/stop downs, etc.), the show may lose a viewer.  Also, people are used to seeing the show for free on tv.  In addition, they want to make sure people show up.  They did not know ahead of time that there would be a big demand.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2006, 11:50:48 AM by goongas »

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2006, 01:16:53 PM »
[quote name=\'goongas\' post=\'132943\' date=\'Sep 29 2006, 08:50 AM\']
There is no rule that I am aware of.  American Idol charges people to attend the finale at the Kodak Theatre.  
[/quote]
American Idol is not a game show.

(I love saying that. :))
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

SamJ93

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2006, 01:32:57 PM »
Additionally, (at least the way it's been explained to me before), ticket sales would not be a significant source of income for the show; advertising is (unlike, say, live theatre productions, whose ticket sales ARE their primary income*).  Of course, AI is probably popular enough that selling would be profitable for them.

*then again, that may be starting to change...
It's a well-known fact that Lincoln loved mayonnaise!

cweaver

« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2006, 01:43:09 PM »
[quote name=\'TimK2003\' post=\'132931\' date=\'Sep 29 2006, 09:23 AM\']
Just out of curiosity, is there some written or unwritten rule anywhere that states that game shows -- particularly the ones that do special tapings "on the road" --  *cannot* charge for tickets?[/quote]

At one time it was a violation of FCC rules to charge people to be in the studio audience of any specifically-made-for-TV show (or earlier, radio show).  I don't know if it's still in effect or not and if so, how American Idol would get around it.  I know old time radio's National Barn Dance got away with charging admission through some kind of legal maneuver and I wouldn't be shocked if Idol used something similar.

Tim L

« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2006, 05:03:49 PM »
[quote name=\'cweaver\' post=\'132956\' date=\'Sep 29 2006, 01:43 PM\']
[quote name=\'TimK2003\' post=\'132931\' date=\'Sep 29 2006, 09:23 AM\']
Just out of curiosity, is there some written or unwritten rule anywhere that states that game shows -- particularly the ones that do special tapings "on the road" --  *cannot* charge for tickets?[/quote]

At one time it was a violation of FCC rules to charge people to be in the studio audience of any specifically-made-for-TV show (or earlier, radio show).  I don't know if it's still in effect or not and if so, how American Idol would get around it.  I know old time radio's National Barn Dance got away with charging admission through some kind of legal maneuver and I wouldn't be shocked if Idol used something similar.
[/quote]

WSM Nashville's Grand Ole Opry has charged for tickets as long as I can remember..$17 a ticket at the Opryland location.in 1997 when my wife and I went down

cweaver

« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2006, 05:10:37 PM »
[quote name=\'Tim L\' post=\'132968\' date=\'Sep 29 2006, 04:03 PM\']
WSM Nashville's Grand Ole Opry has charged for tickets as long as I can remember..$17 a ticket at the Opryland location.in 1997 when my wife and I went down
[/quote]

Probably through the same arrangement as the old National Barn Dance, I think the excuse being that it's a concert that would go on whether it was on the radio (or now, cable) or not.

uncamark

« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2006, 05:32:03 PM »
The story with broadcast program tickets was that they were free through the courtesy of the sponsor.  Although single sponsorship is a thing of the past, that is the reason why broadcast programs are free.

I should add that almost every national public radio show with a live audience, including "Prairie Home Companion," "Whad'ya Know?" and "Wait, Wait...Don't Tell Me!", does charge for tickets to broadcasts.  Actually, "WYK?" initially gave free tickets, but in recent years they've begun charging.