Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Three on a Match clairfication  (Read 5278 times)

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
Three on a Match clairfication
« on: September 27, 2006, 02:55:21 PM »
In either format, did the first three picks bonus refer only to a player's first trip to the board in a game? Or did it mean any chance at the board where the first three picks matched earned the bonus?

And further, the later bonus (in the first-player-to-match-3-times-wins format) is referred to as an "instant win." So does that mean you could wipe out two opponents from the show by matching on your first three picks?

There's some confusion due to the clip on Jamie's site where a guy wins $5,000. He made his 3rd match in the series meaning he was entitled to a $5,000 prize package. Bill says "the instant match does not apply," however the flashing art card said "$10,000 winner." With the other opponents showing 2 matches each on their desks, it would have been impossible for that award to be the 7 straight bonus of 5k and a new car.

-Jason
« Last Edit: September 27, 2006, 03:22:26 PM by JasonA1 »
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2006, 03:33:21 PM »
[quote name=\'JasonA1\' post=\'132796\' date=\'Sep 27 2006, 02:55 PM\']
In either format, did the first three picks bonus refer only to a player's first trip to the board in a game? Or did it mean any chance at the board where the first three picks matched earned the bonus?[/quote]
The terminology was tricky, so you're mixing up a couple of different things.

Remember that you have to win three "matches" in order to win the "game".  However, if your first three picks matched -- at any time you went to the board -- you automatically won the game right then.  It wasn't a "bonus", think of it instead as an "instant win".  

The only reason Cullen said that the instant match didn't apply was because the player already had two matches, so this would be his third match anyway.  And the reason the card flashed "$10,000 Winner" was because he had already won one game, so this was his second $5,000 win for a TOTAL of $10,000.

Separate from all of that, the "bonus" of a new car and five thousand dollars was waiting at the end of the line for anybody who won seven entire games, which would take a week or more of playing.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2006, 03:41:11 PM »
So, that said, assuming that a player managed to scrape together $90 (or some lesser amount plus Free Boxes from the category) on the very first question of a brand-spanking-new game, and was insane enough to go to the board and match on only three picks, is that it? The other two players participated in one single auction, and out the door they go with a case of Turtle Wax and the home game?
« Last Edit: September 27, 2006, 03:41:33 PM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2006, 03:49:18 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'132800\' date=\'Sep 27 2006, 03:41 PM\']
So, that said, assuming that a player managed to scrape together $90 (or some lesser amount plus Free Boxes from the category) on the very first question of a brand-spanking-new game, and was insane enough to go to the board and match on only three picks, is that it? The other two players participated in one single auction, and out the door they go with a case of Turtle Wax and the home game?[/quote]
I want to say -- though you're talking about a thirteen-year-old's memory from three decades ago -- that if somebody got an instant win in the first match that all three players stayed around for a new game.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

clemon79

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2006, 03:52:56 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'132802\' date=\'Sep 27 2006, 12:49 PM\']
I want to say -- though you're talking about a thirteen-year-old's memory from three decades ago -- that if somebody got an instant win in the first match that all three players stayed around for a new game.
[/quote]
That would make sense, only because the chances of it happening are pretty astronomical. (They're looking at a 1-in-16 shot, right? Doesn't matter what box you turn over first, then a 1 in 4 of matching that, and then a 1 in 4 of matching _that_.)
« Last Edit: September 27, 2006, 03:54:05 PM by clemon79 »

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2006, 04:00:52 PM »
Separate from all of that, the "bonus" of a new car and five thousand dollars was waiting at the end of the line for anybody who won seven entire games

Even though in his copy Don Pardo says "any player who wins seven matches in a row" I'm going to assume you're right. You don't really "win" the matches used to keep score in a game, you make matches.

It would be anticlimatic as well for somebody to have made six matches winning two games to pick up $5,000 and a car for 1 match in a new game.

Man, that's confuddling stuff.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

clemon79

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2006, 04:10:08 PM »
[quote name=\'JasonA1\' post=\'132805\' date=\'Sep 27 2006, 01:00 PM\']
Even though in his copy Don Pardo says "any player who wins seven matches in a row" I'm going to assume you're right. You don't really "win" the matches used to keep score in a game, you make matches.
[/quote]
You are confusing the concept of a "match" in the sense of "finding three of the same symbol" and "match" as in "first person to find three of the same symbol three times."

Don Howard

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2006, 04:21:24 PM »
On most shows, winning the game is nice, but winning the match (two or three games) is the ultimate goal.
In the instance of Three On A Match, winning a match is nice, but winning the game (three matches) is the ultimate goal.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2006, 04:21:40 PM by Don Howard »

whewfan

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2006, 04:23:07 PM »
Is it any wonder why this show was so short lived? :-)

DjohnsonCB

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2006, 04:36:14 PM »
[quote name=\'whewfan\' post=\'132809\' date=\'Sep 27 2006, 03:23 PM\']
[/quote]
I wouldn't call three or four years "short lived".
"Disconnect her buzzer...disconnect EVERYONE'S buzzer!"

--Alex Trebel

uncamark

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2006, 05:07:03 PM »
[quote name=\'DjohnsonCB\' post=\'132810\' date=\'Sep 27 2006, 03:36 PM\']
[quote name=\'whewfan\' post=\'132809\' date=\'Sep 27 2006, 03:23 PM\']
[/quote]
I wouldn't call three or four years "short lived".
[/quote]

And lots of things changed over the run.  Initially, all of the boards had prizes and contestants only played one match.  Win one auction, get a Double Pot and be lucky at the board and win a prize in two minutes, you stick around while your opponents visit the Land of Parting Gifts (tm Bill Rafterty).  So they come up with the symbols and the multiple-match format to let contestants stick around a little longer (although winning about as much as they would win in three single wins under the original format).

Later, front game format gets changed again--gone goes the auction, lockouts are installed on the desks and Bill asks five questions to be answered similarly (for example, with the name of a TV game show), each one worth ten dollars more than the previous one.  If you are over $90 in your total and you buzz in and answer correctly, Bill asks you if you want to go to the board.  If you don't, he asks another tossup.  This means the game moves a little faster than category reveal/auction/asking the true-or-false questions.

Robert Hutchinson

« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2006, 05:27:33 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'132803\' date=\'Sep 27 2006, 03:52 PM\']That would make sense, only because the chances of it happening are pretty astronomical. (They're looking at a 1-in-16 shot, right? Doesn't matter what box you turn over first, then a 1 in 4 of matching that, and then a 1 in 4 of matching _that_.)[/quote]
Even less than that, if you've got "No Match" in play.

And while I've mentioned it, anyone know the deal with "No Match"? Was it on every board? Just in the $20 column?
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

clemon79

« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2006, 05:36:16 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' post=\'132815\' date=\'Sep 27 2006, 02:07 PM\']
This means the game moves a little faster than category reveal/auction/asking the true-or-false questions.
[/quote]
That makes me very sad, since the cancellation auction is my very favorite part of that show.

beatlefreak84

« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2006, 05:39:16 PM »
And while I've mentioned it, anyone know the deal with "No Match"? Was it on every board? Just in the $20 column?

I wish I could answer the first question, but I haven't seen enough episodes to confirm or deny...:).  But, for the second one, I can answer that it could appear anywhere; I think, in the prior episode that Jamie put up, a game had the "No Match" in the $30 column.

I really wish I was alive when this show was on, or that NBC had saved more episodes of it; I've really enjoyed this show (thanks Jamie!).

Anthony
You have da Arm-ee and da Leg-ee!

Temptation Dollars:  the only accepted currency for Lots of Love™

Neumms

« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2006, 07:30:13 PM »
Another question, after seeing the show on Jamie's site: It seems to me, the strategy would be to pick the $40 column first and work left because it's cheaper that way. You only have to buy one $40 box, then match the others to it. So why didn't they do that?