Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Why Can't Game Shows Get More Respect?  (Read 10198 times)

BobbyLankford_83

Why Can't Game Shows Get More Respect?
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2006, 06:16:06 PM »
Rich, did you e-mail programming or the GM at WILX TV 10?. Or both. I think Fox 47 could have aired the debate instead of whatever reruns they have. When any station bumps WOF and J! for a debate or any breaking news like t-storm/tornado warnings or heavy snow or whatever it has some ripple effect on the week's ratings for WOF and J!.

Do you have cable Rich? I feel for you people who have Comcast in Lansing and East Lansing who can't get WWMT CBS 3 Kalamazoo-Grand Rapids or WDIV NBC 4 Detroit who air WOF and J! like TV 10. You could see it on there when WILX prempts the two. Or if you had Dish Network like me you could have seen last night's WOF and J! on satellite via WSBK TV 38 Boston. They too air WOF and J! from 7-8pm ET daily.

And here in Sacramento-Stockton , when KXTV ABC 10 has an out of town Kings game on the East Coast J! gets shoved to after Jimmy Kimmel and WOF gets El Bumpo. That stinks! At least I have satellite so I won't miss.

I would someday like to see them do WOF and J! and also TPIR online after their broadcasts for those who could not be home for the broadcasts. That would be cool.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2006, 10:56:48 PM »
[quote name=\'mmb5\' post=\'133323\' date=\'Oct 3 2006, 04:20 PM\']
The debate was offered to all Michigan stations plus the state's FOX stations.  [/quote]
All the Michigan stations AND the Michigan FOX stations?  Man, that's a lotta stations!
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

mathwhiz

« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2006, 11:48:24 PM »
Yes - I do use cable as my main programming source - although I did recently throw up an antenna to pick up the local digital stations for High Def.  (Man I love my new TV).  However, I can't get any other stations that carry J and WoF either from cable or OTA.  Several years ago we could, but Comcast pulled some of the stations that were duplicate networks, so I lost my dual coverage of J and WoF.  I do have a source to get the programs - so I should be all set if everything works out.  

And I did email WILX to let them know that I was not pleased with their decision, and I do so everytime that something like this happens.  Not that I ever think it will change things, but I always feel, unless I complain to people who could do something about it, I have no right complaining to other people.

Rich

BobbyLankford_83

« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2006, 02:15:57 AM »
[quote name='mathwhiz' date='Oct 3 2006, 11:48 PM' post='133369']
 I did recently throw up an antenna to pick up the local digital stations for High Def.  (Man I love my new TV).  However, I can't get any other stations that carry J and WoF either from cable or OTA.  Several years ago we could, but Comcast pulled some of the stations that were duplicate networks, so I lost my dual coverage of J and WoF.  I do have a source to get the programs - so I should be all set if everything works out.  

Rich, Comcast Battle Creek since the early 1990's has canned first WLNS 6 CBS, then WILX NBC 10 and more recently three years ago before I visited BC for my class reunion, WSYM Fox 47, although WKAR ,the MSU PBS station where our good friend Matt Ottinger is still on Comcast. Blame the Grand Rapids/Kalamazoo/Battle Creek stations for pressuring Comcast to not air any Lansing outlets which is the opposite of the Lansing and East Lansing Comcasts not carrying Grand Rapids/Kalamazoo/Battle Creek outlets. But you can get the Lansing outlets in the Cereal City with an antenna. I should know I have the WILX TV coverage map to prove it in my room. And Comcast BC should wake up and smell the coffee that 10 and Fox 47 and to a wee bit of a lesser degree 6 are significantly viewed in Calhoun County. Millenium which is in many parts of Mid-Michigan has both Lansing and Grand Rapids outlets as does Coldwater's Charter Cable.

That is a bunch of crap Rich when Comcast cans duplicate outlets so that in the event of no WOF and J! on 10 or a local signal craps out during ,say Sunday Football or The World Series you could watch the event or show on another channel.

Johnissoevil

« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2006, 03:25:52 PM »
[quote name=\'dzinkin\' post=\'133207\' date=\'Oct 2 2006, 06:01 PM\']
I'd just like to take this moment to point out how refreshing it is to hear from people who know how to place game shows in their proper perspective.

As opposed to, say, this or this.
[/quote]

Yeah, well, if I ran a TV station, during snow, game shows would be preempted so we could bring you a snowball fight between the staff outside the studios! :-)
In loving memory of my father, Curtis Fenner 4/29/44-8/13/15

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2006, 04:12:48 PM »
[quote name=\'Johnissoevil\' post=\'133454\' date=\'Oct 4 2006, 12:25 PM\']
Yeah, well, if I ran a TV station, during snow, game shows would be preempted so we could bring you a snowball fight between the staff outside the studios! :-)
[/quote]
Considering it hasn't snowed in Monterey in thirty-odd years, that would absolutely happen here. :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

mathwhiz

« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2006, 04:17:43 PM »
[quote name=\'Johnissoevil\' post=\'133454\' date=\'Oct 4 2006, 03:25 PM\']
[/quote]

Well now that I wouldn't mind - especially if it was the WKAR staff - hey Matt - how good are you at a snowball fight?

Rich

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2006, 04:25:52 PM »
[quote name=\'mathwhiz\' post=\'133463\' date=\'Oct 4 2006, 04:17 PM\']
[quote name=\'Johnissoevil\' post=\'133454\' date=\'Oct 4 2006, 03:25 PM\']
[/quote]

Well now that I wouldn't mind - especially if it was the WKAR staff - hey Matt - how good are you at a snowball fight? [/quote]
I grew up in Tennessee, remember?  I don't understand snowball fights, curling*, and especially don't get hockey.  Ice is something to put in your sweet tea.

*I like curling, I just don't understand it.

Jay Temple

« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2006, 12:31:11 AM »
Florida, Texas and southern California all have NHL teams. Living in Tennessee is no excuse.
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

BobbyLankford_83

« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2006, 01:00:09 AM »
I grew up in Tennessee, remember?  I don't understand snowball fights, curling*, and especially don't get hockey.  Ice is something to put in your sweet tea.

Matt, what part of Tennessee did you grow up in? My mother grew up in Monterey, TN east of Nashville as did my aunts and my dad grew up in Chattanooga,after he moved up to there from Fort Payne, AL which is almost halfway between CHattanooga and Birmingham.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2006, 01:07:27 AM »
[quote name=\'Jay Temple\' post=\'133631\' date=\'Oct 6 2006, 12:31 AM\']
Florida, Texas and southern California all have NHL teams. Living in Tennessee is no excuse.[/quote]
Now see, the way I look at it is that there's no excuse for Florida, Texas and Southern California to have hockey teams.

Craig Karlberg

« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2006, 03:29:31 AM »
Talk about no respect, my ABC affiliate(WPVI TV-6) pre-empted J! & probably WoF last night for a Liberty Medal ceremony honoring former presidents Bill Clinton & George H.W. Bush.  Trouble was, I had a late dinner & couldn't catch whether the shows would be aired later that night or simply flat-out cancelled for the night.  I wouldn't have a provlem with something like that if it was on the 4th of July, but 3 months late?  Give me a break!  Yeesh!

At least gameshownewsmet & Buzzer! will hopefully fill that huge hole for me there.

tvwxman

« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2006, 08:22:53 AM »
[quote name=\'Craig Karlberg\' post=\'133644\' date=\'Oct 6 2006, 03:29 AM\']
Talk about no respect, my ABC affiliate(WPVI TV-6) pre-empted J! & probably WoF last night for a Liberty Medal ceremony honoring former presidents Bill Clinton & George H.W. Bush.  Trouble was, I had a late dinner & couldn't catch whether the shows would be aired later that night or simply flat-out cancelled for the night.  I wouldn't have a provlem with something like that if it was on the 4th of July, but 3 months late?  Give me a break!  Yeesh!

At least gameshownewsmet & Buzzer! will hopefully fill that huge hole for me there.
[/quote]

No brainer here : The ceremony was more important than a game show hour.

No brainer here : You really don't have a grip on reality.
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

aaron sica

« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2006, 12:05:59 PM »
[quote name=\'Craig Karlberg\' post=\'133644\' date=\'Oct 6 2006, 03:29 AM\']

[/quote]

Did your TV survive the anger, or did you toss it out the window?

Jay Temple

« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2006, 09:25:29 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'133640\' date=\'Oct 6 2006, 12:07 AM\']
[quote name=\'Jay Temple\' post=\'133631\' date=\'Oct 6 2006, 12:31 AM\']
Florida, Texas and southern California all have NHL teams. Living in Tennessee is no excuse.[/quote]
Now see, the way I look at it is that there's no excuse for Florida, Texas and Southern California to have hockey teams.
[/quote]
I was actually going to say that!
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.