Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Why Can't Game Shows Get More Respect?  (Read 10200 times)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Why Can't Game Shows Get More Respect?
« Reply #45 on: October 08, 2006, 10:43:56 PM »
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' post=\'133888\' date=\'Oct 8 2006, 04:56 PM\']
Neither do I.

($5 cybercash for the first one to point out, "Wait a minute.  You live in Chicago."  :) )
[/quote]
I lol'd.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

TimK2003

« Reply #46 on: October 09, 2006, 10:01:03 AM »
[quote name=\'davewalls\' post=\'133883\' date=\'Oct 8 2006, 05:53 PM\']
Minor League hockey can still be an excellent value and entertainment. I have very fond memories of being in college, and traveling the 45 minutes to Roanoke, VA to watch the now-defunct Roanoke Express of the ECHL. $10 to get in anywhere. $2 for a beer.
[/quote]

Hard to find a good boxing bout *and* a hockey game in between matches these days for only $10!!!

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #47 on: October 09, 2006, 10:19:59 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'133913\' date=\'Oct 8 2006, 09:43 PM\']
I lol'd.
[/quote]

The funny thing is that the Blackhawks are the one Chicago team I will never root for.  Even raised as a Cub fan (something I've weaned myself away from), I rooted for the White Sox in their World Series run a year ago.  But it rankles me that you living in Seattle can watch more Blackhawk home games than me living in Chicago.  You get every one with Centre Ice or the one telecast Versus will carry.  We're blacked out on Centre Ice, and ownership is only allowing five home telecasts this year (which is more than we usually get, but still not nearly enough).  Actually, it's six, with the one Versus game.

Therefore, I take pleasure at every Blackhawk misfortune.

Doug -- and the countdown to 2300 continues
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

clemon79

« Reply #48 on: October 09, 2006, 11:20:02 AM »
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' post=\'133936\' date=\'Oct 9 2006, 07:19 AM\']
But it rankles me that you living in Seattle can watch more Blackhawk home games than me living in Chicago.  You get every one with Centre Ice or the one telecast Versus will carry.  We're blacked out on Centre Ice, and ownership is only allowing five home telecasts this year (which is more than we usually get, but still not nearly enough).  Actually, it's six, with the one Versus game.

Therefore, I take pleasure at every Blackhawk misfortune.
[/quote]
Absolutely, I can't blame you a bit. And as long as that idiot Wirtz owns the club, that's how it's gonna be, because he's still married to the antiquated notion that denying the fans home game telecasts will get people to come to the arena to see the team. What he Just Doesn't Get is that what it actually does is stop people from being fans.

(It's nice having Center Ice in an area that is completely outside of the sphere of influence of any NHL team. Blackouts? What are those? :))

JayRockUSA

« Reply #49 on: October 09, 2006, 04:29:08 PM »
== TO ALL: ==
Game shows, no respect -- I don't know myself... *sigh* :/
Guess, to me, that is the question that will bug me -- and haunt me -- for the rest of my life.

I can see stations puttin' the info online and they'll get it there, or maybe put in a "crawlspace" on da' bottom and end it with something like "More news coming up next @ (time here) on (channel here)..."

However, taking up a whole hour or 2... no way.
Very stupid. Unless it's for a worthy cause.
Maybe for the SuperBowl... or Final Four... something WORTH watching...

You think about that. Why else do we have the Internet, right?

~JK~
JK @ MySpace

aaron sica

« Reply #50 on: October 09, 2006, 04:54:35 PM »
[quote name=\'JayRockUSA\' post=\'133965\' date=\'Oct 9 2006, 04:29 PM\']
[/quote]

No need to put "To All" or "Jay Sez", or any of that. It would be much appreciated (not to mention your welcome won't wear out so fast) if you just compose your messages and replies in normal text. No need to try to be an attention hog.

clemon79

« Reply #51 on: October 09, 2006, 05:27:04 PM »
Seconded. And very diplomatically put, Aaron. :)

(Not to suggest you wouldn't be. I just know _I_ wouldn't have been. :))
« Last Edit: October 09, 2006, 05:27:26 PM by clemon79 »

dzinkin

« Reply #52 on: October 09, 2006, 05:33:07 PM »
[quote name=\'aaron sica\' post=\'133972\' date=\'Oct 9 2006, 04:54 PM\']
[quote name=\'JayRockUSA\' post=\'133965\' date=\'Oct 9 2006, 04:29 PM\']
[/quote]

No need to put "To All" or "Jay Sez", or any of that. It would be much appreciated (not to mention your welcome won't wear out so fast) if you just compose your messages and replies in normal text. No need to try to be an attention hog.
[/quote]
What I told him privately is just as well said publicly: let your points stand out, not your words.  An italicized, boldfaced or underlined word or sentence here and there for emphasis is one thing, but when you type everything in stylized text, your points get lost.

Fedya

« Reply #53 on: October 09, 2006, 05:52:35 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'133978\' date=\'Oct 9 2006, 05:27 PM\']
Seconded. And very diplomatically put, Aaron. :)

(Not to suggest you wouldn't be. I just know _I_ wouldn't have been. :))
[/quote]
Ah, but then you would have gotten one of your three strikes.  ;-)
-- Ted Schuerzinger, now blogging at <a href=\"http://justacineast.blogspot.com/\" target=\"_blank\">http://justacineast.blogspot.com/[/url]

No Fark slashes were harmed in the making of this post

clemon79

« Reply #54 on: October 09, 2006, 06:17:30 PM »
[quote name=\'Fedya\' post=\'133981\' date=\'Oct 9 2006, 02:52 PM\']
Ah, but then you would have gotten one of your three strikes.  ;-)
[/quote]
Okay, so when I was at San Jose State, in the residence halls, the first time you screwed up, you got written up. The second time, you got written up and you got to have a little talk with the Resident Director. The third time, they threw your ass out of the dorms.

Now, in two and a half years there, I never came CLOSE to getting written up. Because by nature I'm pretty quiet and respectful of the people around me. (Oh, go ahead, laugh, you know you wanna.)

So we come down to the last week before I'm to graduate, and we're in my room playing NHL '94 on the ol' Genesis, and one of the RA's who was particularly pissy about noise issues decides to give me a hard time, despite the fact that anyone within two rooms of ours was in fact IN my room at the time. I told her directly: "Write me up. I leave in a week, I have three I need to burn."

I dunno the point of this story, I just wanted to tell it.

ObGameShow: Nope. Not even gonna bother trying. :)

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #55 on: October 09, 2006, 06:23:36 PM »
Despite being the birthplace of radio broadcasting, San Jose has contributed nothing to game shows. No one in the industry is from there, and the only game shows ever broadcast from there were the ones that came down the pipe from ABC to KNTV. Now KNTV carries DOND only because NBC owns it.

In the late '60s/early '70s, KICU was too busy carrying "Bullfights From Mexico" in black and white. That's the show where a 2" quad distribution copy was once spliced with a staple.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2006, 06:26:11 PM by chris319 »

clemon79

« Reply #56 on: October 09, 2006, 06:28:02 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'133986\' date=\'Oct 9 2006, 03:23 PM\']
Despite being the birthplace of radio broadcasting, San Jose has contributed nothing to game shows.
[/quote]
No, wait, I got one!

ObGameShow: I took my brother to see Double Dare Live at the Event Center while I was at SJSU.

There. :)

Ian Wallis

« Reply #57 on: October 10, 2006, 08:54:32 PM »
In the late '60s/early '70s, KICU was too busy carrying "Bullfights From Mexico" in black and white. That's the show where a 2" quad distribution copy was once spliced with a staple.

That must have been great for the playback heads...
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!