Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Museum of TV and Radio  (Read 2015 times)

SwohS Emag

Museum of TV and Radio
« on: October 04, 2006, 08:11:34 PM »
Hello all,

I figured I would start a new post rather than dig an antiquated one from the ashes.

This weekend, while in NYC, I have set aside time for my first visit to MT&R.  I have a list planned out of things to view, and needless to say I am "excited" about going, but I thought I would ask if anyone has any suggestions on "must-sees" that are there.

Here's my list:
If I choose the Main Collection - Moneymaze, a Woolery WOF, and either Knockout, Narz Concentration, or High Rollers, but I can't decide.  Is the Narz Concentration episode the same one that is on the circuit?

If I choose Archives:  Marble Machine, High-Rollers, Cross-wits, and a WOF ep.  Are there any hour-long WOF eps available?

Thanks for any suggestions or general advice you may have about the museum, or even game show related fare in the city this weekend.  (I know: The  J! taping is SOL for me.)

And next week, on my return, I will finally be able to add some hopefully-intelligible conversation to the mix, rather than just asking questions.

Patrick

tvwxman

Museum of TV and Radio
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2006, 10:15:38 PM »
have fun, but be prepared (which, it seems like you already are)....

On the computer (which can be a little tricky, and frustrating), if you type in "Warhol", you'll have Andy's collection pop up, which is full of rare game shows, including MoneyMaze, Gambit, and the Neighbors....the High Rollers from 1974 is great, as is the 70s Name That Tune.....

enjoy!
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

cweaver

Museum of TV and Radio
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2006, 10:38:31 PM »
Someone once told me one of the hour-long Hollywood Squares eps from 1975 is in the MT&R.  That would be a must-see for me.

I'd be curious just to peek at Andy Warhol's list to see what he saved...then I would certainly want to see one of the High Rollers with Ruta Lee.

SwohS Emag

Museum of TV and Radio
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2006, 10:50:47 PM »
Thanks for the advice so far.  I watched the clip of The Neighbors on Jamie's site, and found the show itself to be a little boring, so I figured I would stay away from that one, especially since I only get two hours.

I will look for Warhol when I get there, and report back on what I find.

TwoInchQuad

Museum of TV and Radio
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2006, 12:28:06 AM »
I have to point out that I was in NY in July, and the Museum branch there has cut visitor's viewing time down to one hour... and they will watch it like a hawk.  So with all due respect to their staff (if they're reading this), be prepared to be hustled along.

-Kevin

tvwxman

Museum of TV and Radio
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2006, 08:31:07 AM »
[quote name=\'TwoInchQuad\' post=\'133521\' date=\'Oct 5 2006, 12:28 AM\']
I have to point out that I was in NY in July, and the Museum branch there has cut visitor's viewing time down to one hour... and they will watch it like a hawk.  So with all due respect to their staff (if they're reading this), be prepared to be hustled along.
[/quote]

Why? It's not like people are clamoring to get in there....
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
Museum of TV and Radio
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2006, 10:03:07 AM »
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' post=\'133532\' date=\'Oct 5 2006, 07:31 AM\']
[quote name=\'TwoInchQuad\' post=\'133521\' date=\'Oct 5 2006, 12:28 AM\']
[/quote]

Why? It's not like people are clamoring to get in there....
[/quote]
Interesting to note that in L.A., if there's not a huge mob trying to get in the time window (it was two the last time I was there, but that was more than a year ago) could be extended.  Or at least the number of shows you could sift through (say if you only wanted to see certain segments from certain shows) could be extended.  Again, this was more than a year ago, so the policy there could've changed as well.  Hopefully not, though.

Doug -- and the countdown to 2300 continues
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

mmb5

Museum of TV and Radio
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2006, 12:08:38 PM »
The Moneymaze episode is probably the best of the lot with the Sweepstakes episode coming in second.  If you're looking for good non-GS treats, either 'The Natural' episode of 'It's Gary Shandling's Show' or some of the 50s Muppet stuff.  Hearing a female voice come out of Kermit will throw you for a loop.

Another gem in the Archive section which they actually had ready in LA (so I'm not sure about NYC) was the pilot for 'You're Putting Me On'.  You have to search for that title specifically, it's miscategorized for it's subject.

--Mike
Portions of this post not affecting the outcome have been edited or recreated.

Ian Wallis

Museum of TV and Radio
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2006, 04:20:11 PM »
The Moneymaze episode is probably the best of the lot with the Sweepstakes episode coming in second.

I tried to choose the Celebrity Sweepstakes episode when I was in New York in 2001, and for some reason it said "unavailable".  Never did find out what that meant (maybe someone else was already viewing it?)  Hopefully next time I'll be able to see it.

I did see a mid-70s High Rollers episode though so it was definately worth it!
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

gsfan85

Museum of TV and Radio
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2006, 04:30:32 PM »
Here's my list:
If I choose the Main Collection - Moneymaze, a Woolery WOF, and either Knockout, Narz Concentration, or High Rollers, but I can't decide.  Is the Narz Concentration episode the same one that is on the circuit?

If I choose Archives:  Marble Machine, High-Rollers, Cross-wits, and a WOF ep.  Are there any hour-long WOF eps available?

Thanks for any suggestions or general advice you may have about the museum, or even game show related fare in the city this weekend.  (I know: The  J! taping is SOL for me.)

And next week, on my return, I will finally be able to add some hopefully-intelligible conversation to the mix, rather than just asking questions.

Patrick
[/quote]

You do know that you can choose shows from both the collection and the archives.  You just select whatever you want, you can always go back to the main menu select archives and such.  It usually says some shows you must wait a certain number of weeks to see, but everytime I've been there anything I've wanted to see is avaliable.

Adam

Gsguy

Museum of TV and Radio
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2006, 05:03:50 PM »
You'll have a ball at the museum.

As for suggestions, I also would recomend the Warhol collection. There are episodes of the NBC Concentration and the 70's version of Cross-Wits that I would recomend as well.