Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Family Feud  (Read 8065 times)

Jeremy Nelson

Family Feud
« on: October 05, 2006, 05:16:03 PM »
Today, during the second half of the Family Feud hour, I was shcoked to see that the show had implemented eggcrate scoreboards into the podiums again. Personally, I think they look VERY out of place. They make the podiums look tacky, like somebody couldn't make up their mind about which format to use.  They should have either implemented the old camera view to reflect the "Big Board" scoreboard, or used the same monitors as the regular scoreboards do.

What do you guys think? Are they out of place, or are you okay with this change?
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

aaron sica

Family Feud
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2006, 05:21:20 PM »
Pardon me for not understanding your post correctly.....Are the eggrate scoreboards in ADDITION to the ones that were there before, or are the ones on each family's side gone?

whewfan

Family Feud
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2006, 07:19:11 PM »
The side scoreboards are still there

Jeremy Nelson

Family Feud
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2006, 09:22:40 PM »
Sorry. The eggcrate scoreboards are there in addition to the main scoreboards.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2006, 09:23:00 PM by rollercoaster87 »
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
Family Feud
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2006, 12:41:49 AM »
Eggcrate looks better than Times New Roman or whatever the hell those toteboards use.
This signature is currently under construction.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Family Feud
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2006, 12:44:02 AM »
John O'Hurley's presence on the stage makes up for the music, the lame questions and the too-dark set, even if you throw in the "family podium" scoreboards.

Hey, at least they're one for...

<counts>

Well, one for five.
Travis L. Eberle

HYHYBT

Family Feud
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2006, 02:19:54 AM »
Wouldn't it have been simpler, cheaper, *and* better-looking to add the score to the huge screen that's already there? It wouldn't look too bad above the family name, and would fix the problem just as well... though why they seem unable to use the same camera angle that worked perfectly well for 16 seasons *and* had the advantage of making it instantly obvious which side was which, I have no idea.

I actually like the odd questions, though not quite as often as they have them.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2006, 02:21:47 AM by HYHYBT »
"If you ask me to repeat this I'm gonna punch you right in the nose" -- Geoff Edwards, Play the Percentages

Clay Zambo

Family Feud
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2006, 01:17:26 PM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'133637\' date=\'Oct 6 2006, 12:44 AM\']
John O'Hurley's presence on the stage makes up for the music, the lame questions and the too-dark set,[/quote]

Too-dark?

The set looks like a piņata exploded onto it.  And now eggcrate readouts on the podiums...just one more thing that doesn't fit with the others.  For my money (and it isn't mine) the only time the set looks unified is during Fast Money, when it goes all-blue; then the widely-varied shapes and textures don't bother me so much.

Not that I'm watching every day anyway; I just bumped into this during lunch.
czambo@mac.com

bandit_bobby

Family Feud
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2006, 03:29:00 PM »
They did this because when they didn't have them, people didn't like not being able to keep track of the scores easily. This makes it easier, and makes everybody happy. I would, however, have liked to have seen those new scoreboards as video screens, as well.

TonicBH

Family Feud
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2006, 05:27:23 PM »
[quote name=\'bandit_bobby\' post=\'133721\' date=\'Oct 6 2006, 12:29 PM\']
They did this because when they didn't have them, people didn't like not being able to keep track of the scores easily. This makes it easier, and makes everybody happy. I would, however, have liked to have seen those new scoreboards as video screens, as well.
[/quote]

They could've, y'know, taken a few pointers from older Feud episodes in regards to showing the score. This is just laziness on their part.
You Found a Secret Area: The place where I write about dumb game show and video game stuff occasionally.

Hastin

Family Feud
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2006, 10:01:16 PM »
Hell, even the new Family Feud PC game has the old scoreboards and camera angles right (at least depending on what set you pick).
Read more in my review later tonight!
-Hastin :)

catnap1972

Family Feud
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2006, 10:33:02 PM »
Am I mistaken or did they also change the light grids in the face off podium as well?

EDIT: looks like they did...8x8 (64) on each side in the "older" episodes vs 9x9 (81) on each side in the newer episodes, and the bulbs themselves appear to be larger and brighter as well.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2006, 10:48:21 PM by catnap1972 »

Clay Zambo

Family Feud
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2006, 10:54:35 PM »
[quote name=\'TonicBH\' post=\'133730\' date=\'Oct 6 2006, 05:27 PM\']
They could've, y'know, taken a few pointers from older Feud episodes in regards to showing the score. This is just laziness on their part.
[/quote]

Paying the electronics department to bring in scoreboards, the carpenters to place them, and who-knows-what-all else was required?  That's not laziness, that's sloth.  Especially when the alternative is "change a couple camera angles."

Wow.
czambo@mac.com

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Family Feud
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2006, 02:03:20 AM »
[quote name=\'Clay Zambo\' post=\'133697\' date=\'Oct 6 2006, 10:17 AM\']
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'133637\' date=\'Oct 6 2006, 12:44 AM\']
John O'Hurley's presence on the stage makes up for the music, the lame questions and the too-dark set,[/quote]Too-dark?

The set looks like a piņata exploded onto it.  
[/quote]Clearly I was under the influence of lack of sleep when watching that day. Maybe the contrast was off, and the light blues turned up dark. While watching the show today, I did not see either of the big board scoreboards once. Ever. Not even in a wide shot of the set. Maybe it was just me, and I blinked at the wrong time, but that just seems wrong on several levels.
Travis L. Eberle

Tony

Family Feud
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2006, 04:29:46 PM »
(sigh...) One big step forward, several little steps back.

That's it.  Fremantle never seems to Get It.  Feud is Dead To Me.

I'm actually dreading what they will do if they should revive CS, PYL, and/or MG.  Even if the hosts are great and the sets based on their respective classic versions with appropriate modernization, the direction and editing are going to kill what could have been (a) great revival(s) (presuming they really are going revive one or more of the Marathon, which I am starting to doubt).