Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Family Feud  (Read 8064 times)

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Family Feud
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2006, 06:10:30 PM »
[quote name=\'Tony\' post=\'133796\' date=\'Oct 7 2006, 01:29 PM\']
(sigh...) One big step forward, several little steps back.

That's it.  Fremantle never seems to Get It.  Feud is Dead To Me.

I'm actually dreading what they will do if they should revive CS, PYL, and/or MG.  Even if the hosts are great and the sets based on their respective classic versions with appropriate modernization, the direction and editing are going to kill what could have been (a) great revival(s) (presuming they really are going revive one or more of the Marathon, which I am starting to doubt).[/quote]Good riddance to you, then. If you're going to pitch a whiny fit just because the eggcrate isn't in the right place, or the color scheme isn't right, or this or the other thing, then it's probably better that you not watch. If Card Sharks came back with purple carpet, orange strobe lights and Impact-font scoreboards made out of old PC monitors, I'd find a way to watch.

I realize that the 'show' aspect is important, but the Feud is still a solid game, and the fact that it is run by a competent and classy host makes me overlook all of the presentation niggles.
Travis L. Eberle

Tony

Family Feud
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2006, 10:38:15 AM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'133806\' date=\'Oct 7 2006, 05:10 PM\']
Good riddance to you, then. If you're going to pitch a whiny fit just because the eggcrate isn't in the right place, or the color scheme isn't right, or this or the other thing, then it's probably better that you not watch. If Card Sharks came back with purple carpet, orange strobe lights and Impact-font scoreboards made out of old PC monitors, I'd find a way to watch.

I realize that the 'show' aspect is important, but the Feud is still a solid game, and the fact that it is run by a competent and classy host makes me overlook all of the presentation niggles.
[/quote]
I was complaining about the way the show was shot/edited rather than any on-stage elements.  The two episodes I've watched have given me no complaints about the look of the set (much less the host or the game); I can even get used to the logo.

mparrish11

• Marriage is the leading cause of divorce.
Family Feud
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2006, 06:03:13 PM »
Quite honestly, I think this topic has gotten way out of hand.  

What's the big stinking deal about adding scoring to the podiums?  Does it take away from the gameplay?  

Yeah, the set looks different, but it's the same 'ol Feud as before.  This show has proven that they can change the set all they like, but as long as the gameplay remains consistent, they're still going to attract audiences.

I'm with the other people here who agree that the host makes up for any of the visual shortcomings.

My $0.02 worth.
--Matt

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
Family Feud
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2006, 06:33:00 PM »
And I think your reply is more hyperbole than a lot of the thread. What's more of a crime than putting those scoreboards in to me, and others in this thread, is the fact they were unnecessary. There already were scoreboards, ones they could've implemented if the show director wasn't so insistent on sticking to the same shots from the old set.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

TimK2003

Family Feud
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2006, 07:32:37 PM »
[quote name=\'mparrish11\' post=\'133982\' date=\'Oct 9 2006, 05:03 PM\']
Quite honestly, I think this topic has gotten way out of hand.  

What's the big stinking deal about adding scoring to the podiums?  Does it take away from the gameplay?  

Yeah, the set looks different, but it's the same 'ol Feud as before.  This show has proven that they can change the set all they like, but as long as the gameplay remains consistent, they're still going to attract audiences.

I'm with the other people here who agree that the host makes up for any of the visual shortcomings.

My $0.02 worth.
[/quote]

IMHO, Fremantle should have just tinkered with the camera angles to include the Big Board scores and the families together in the same shot.  When you are double pumping episodes, it gets distracting to see them do something in one show and 30 minutes later, they do something else.

Yeah, to most of America it's not a big deal if one ep has podium scores and one does not.  I wouldn't even be so picky if the show had just started it's freshman year on TV -- there is that cosmetic tweaking that happens on many newborn shows.  But you'd think after a half dozen years Fremantle would make a decision and stick with it for more than just a few weeks.

I'm just afraid that if you let them make set changes during the season then Fremantle won't care too much if you start changing the gameplay along the way either -- especially if there really isn't much rhyme or reason in the order of the episodes to begin with (in regards to markets who get 2 eps of Feud each day).

And get rid of the audience signs, Fremantle, this ain't American Idol!!!

gsfreak82

Family Feud
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2006, 11:03:47 PM »
[quote name=\'rollercoaster87\' post=\'133600\' date=\'Oct 5 2006, 05:16 PM\']
Today, during the second half of the Family Feud hour, I was shcoked to see that the show had implemented eggcrate scoreboards into the podiums again. Personally, I think they look VERY out of place. They make the podiums look tacky, like somebody couldn't make up their mind about which format to use.  They should have either implemented the old camera view to reflect the "Big Board" scoreboard, or used the same monitors as the regular scoreboards do.

What do you guys think? Are they out of place, or are you okay with this change?
[/quote]

They did the same thing with Pyramid when it came back.

HYHYBT

Family Feud
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2006, 07:33:39 AM »
For me at least, it's not that they have them, but the lack of consistency. There's no harm, really, in displaying the scores in more than one place but it looks all wrong to have one set eggcrates and one flatscreens. It's the same thing they did with the set in general up until last season, changing things here and there in ways that weren't bad themselves, but didn't fit with what they kept from before, until the last Karn episodes hurt just to look at, regardless of content. If it stops at adding a couple extra scoreboards and a few more bulbs in the faceoff podium, fine, but it probably won't.

I actually like the logo, by the way. It seems odd that people dislike it simply for being a style that was popular ten years ago, yet approve of the return of set design elements from 1976.
"If you ask me to repeat this I'm gonna punch you right in the nose" -- Geoff Edwards, Play the Percentages

Clay Zambo

Family Feud
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2006, 11:03:16 AM »
[quote name=\'HYHYBT\' post=\'134112\' date=\'Oct 11 2006, 07:33 AM\']
For me at least, it's not that they have them, but the lack of consistency. There's no harm, really, in displaying the scores in more than one place but it looks all wrong to have one set eggcrates and one flatscreens.[/quote]

That's the thing: it's not even as if it were designed by committee.  It looks to me like it was designed by a committee that never met to discuss anything.

I won't turn the show off 'cause I don't like the set; I probably won't turn it on very often in the first place.
czambo@mac.com

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Family Feud
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2006, 11:25:12 AM »
Here's the vibe I get: the set design was made without seeking any input whatsoever from the folks in the control room, who are very set in their ways as to how the show should be shot. It's lazy directing, but unfortunately there is no shortage of lazy directors in Hollywood.

When I worked at the TV station, and I was one of the sound people, we found a music package that was miles above the tripe they had hastily thrown together for the relaunch of the news on the station we had absorbed by LMA. It was catchy, upbeat, and it had a great memorable sting. So we ran it by the director and producer, both of whom thought it was a fine idea, and we carted up the new package.

So with our package, off the top of the show, we fired the open cart, which started with the sting, and then the talent was to be cued to start reading the teases for the day's top stories. Kinda like how SportsCenter worked for a lot of years. (And may still, I don't watch it regularly enough anymore to be sure.)

Problem was, the talent could never get this concept through their skulls, and would immediately start talking as soon as the show came out of black, despite being told they were to wait for the sting, and despite any cues the floor was giving them. So the cool-sounding sting got chucked off the top because the talent wasn't willing to learn something new. Same basic idea.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
Family Feud
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2006, 11:36:55 AM »
If local news talent can't shut up a few seconds, then I guess it's a foregone cause to expect the director of a network television show to make a few extra cuts to include certain things. Good story.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

Neumms

Family Feud
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2006, 11:56:42 AM »
[quote name=\'TimK2003\' post=\'133992\' date=\'Oct 9 2006, 06:32 PM\']
And get rid of the audience signs, Fremantle, this ain't American Idol!!!
[/quote]

I'm watching for the first time this season ("Feud" airs here in the same time slot as TPIR) and couldn't be more aghast at how crazy awful annoying the set is, despite the better looking board and cool living room scenes. It's Disco Family Feud! And despite the terrific host (who--gasp--actually wears a tie!), the contestants and crowd seem even more artificially amped up than before. Augh!

But the coup de grace has to be the placards in the audience so obviously drawn up by the cue card guy. Are "American Idol's" fake, too?

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Family Feud
« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2006, 11:58:50 AM »
[quote name=\'JasonA1\' post=\'134135\' date=\'Oct 11 2006, 08:36 AM\']
If local news talent can't shut up a few seconds, then I guess it's a foregone cause to expect the director of a network television show to make a few extra cuts to include certain things. Good story.
[/quote]
Well, you would THINK that the expectation would be for the news director (as in, the head of the news department, not "director" in the control-room sense) to sit the talent down, show them how the open of the show is supposed to work, and tell them to friggin' pay attention to the cues they were being given on the floor. But that didn't happen much at KCBA/KION.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

whewfan

Family Feud
« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2006, 02:06:32 PM »
I don't get it... first we like the current Feud set... and now we DON'T?! Aren't we forgetting how busy and flashy the previous Karn set was... THAT was Disco Feud! I really like what they've done with the Feud now.

I would tend to think that some of the signs were designed by staff members, but as the series progresses, the family and friends rooting on the players will catch on and make their own signs. As long as they don't go OVERBOARD as I said before and then Feud will look more like LMAD.

John makes a much more valiant effort to make the players look good, and actually gives you reason to root for either side.

urbanpreppie05

Family Feud
« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2006, 10:38:14 PM »
I don't get it... first we like the current Feud set... and now we DON'T?! Aren't we forgetting how busy and flashy the previous Karn set was... THAT was Disco Feud! I really like what they've done with the Feud now.

I do as well. I also liked the Karn set, version one. There are some minor things that could be fixed, but nothing too big. If you can't enjoy FF (or any GS for that matter) without it being a carbon copy of orginal shows, then it's really quite a shame- Feud's the best it's been since Combs.
insert signature here

whewfan

Family Feud
« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2006, 12:06:54 AM »
The first Karn set was definitely a step closer to the right direction in terms of the design. Louie's set looked very cold with the silver and blue. The first Karn set looked warmer and more inviting, and the large monitors behind the players was far better than the smaller overhead screens in the Louie version, and during most of the first season, they made the lettering of the family's names too small to read.