Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Ohio Lottery new game show  (Read 2684 times)

toddyo

Ohio Lottery new game show
« on: October 08, 2006, 12:58:15 AM »
I watched the worst game show ever made, unless you are ADHD. The premiere of Ohio Lottery's latest game show "Make me famous, Make me rich" (ACTUALLY NAME OF PROGRAM) aired tonight.  No introductions of contestants, no announcer, HEAVILY edited.  30 contestants, 2 sets of 15 contestants divided into 5 teams of 3. The game "Safe or Risk" where the team individually vote safe or risk, with the team leader deciding the move. Then they "spin" to see if they won an amount for the turn or ended up with zero.

Honestly...part Greed, part Joker's Wild, part Press Your Luck....oh, complete with the psuedo TPIR font. If you time delayed the program and ran it at 11:30, you'd swear it was a bad parody.

Did anyone in the Buckeye State (or surrounding) see this trainwreck????

rebelwrest

« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2006, 01:15:13 AM »
Anyone want to start a petition to bring back Cash Explosion?

What ever happened to hiring a host with talent?  I'll bet the person they pick as a co-host (which is picked at random through the scratch off tickets, no really) will have more talent than the host.

DAMN YOU RYAN SEACREST
My favorite Win Ben Stein's Money Category:

Where Am I Doc? Urinalysis Restaurant.

MitchJoseph2004

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2006, 10:39:18 AM »
I am in the minority here. I actually enjoyed what I saw with MMF, MMR. It is a vast improvement over the last few years of Cash Explosion (the post- Paul and Sharon years).
It was fun to watch, and I don't mind not having contestant introductions since most of the contestants on there don't go on.
The host wasn't too bad, better than the 2 dummies they threw into Cash Explosion....only complaint I had with him was his silver jacket.
I had fun spending my half hour watching the show.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2006, 10:41:38 AM by MitchJoseph2004 »

jmangin

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2006, 10:44:11 AM »
[quote name=\'rebelwrest\' post=\'133830\' date=\'Oct 8 2006, 01:15 AM\']
What ever happened to hiring a host with talent?
[/quote]

No person that has ever hosted Cash Explosion had talent.  Paul Taupie was abysmal with his incessant squinting, and the guy that relplaced him insisted on calling Johnny Douglas "John E. Douglas."  Those two mooks they had after they updated the set were just as bad.

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2006, 10:53:18 AM »
I thought Make Me Famous was tolerable, just poorly edited, extremely rushed towards the end, and with a host cut from the same cloth as Dylan Lane.  The lack of an announcer, interviewing players, revealing the contestants' last names, etc. are minor.  (With 31 contestants, how could you introduce each and every one without starting game play 15 minutes into the half hour?)  There have been worse lottery shows, specifically some games that are (thankfully) long gone--Wisconsin's game and Road to Riches from Michigan.

[quote name=\'toddyo\' post=\'133828\' date=\'Oct 8 2006, 12:58 AM\']The game "Safe or Risk" where the team individually vote safe or risk, with the team leader deciding the move.[/quote]
No.  The host said at the start that each team member votes on whether to play it safe or take the risk and that majority rules.  The row of 9 lights in front of each team's podium show how each player voted in each round.

In past months, Mills James Productions put the week's Cash Explosion episode on Google video several days after airing.  Hopefully they'll do the same with Make Me Famous...

[quote name=\'jmangin\' post=\'133840\' date=\'Oct 8 2006, 10:44 AM\']...and the guy that relplaced him insisted on calling Johnny Douglas "John E. Douglas."[/quote]
Because the name on his bio is "John E. Douglas".

Paul Tapie was decent, much better than anybody else who has hosted the show in the past few years.  Could he host a show on a national level?  Heck no.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2006, 12:20:28 PM by MikeK »

aaron sica

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2006, 11:48:43 AM »
I'm gonna open the betting pool for a certain Ohio Lottery show junkie to post a summary...I give it about 4 hours. :)

booboo

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2006, 11:56:06 AM »
I actually found the rules on one site a while back, I don't remember what site though. And just by looking at them, I can safely say that this won't last long at all

BrandonFG

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2006, 12:13:08 PM »
[quote name=\'aaron sica\' post=\'133847\' date=\'Oct 8 2006, 11:48 AM\']
I'm gonna open the betting pool for a certain Ohio Lottery show junkie to post a summary...I give it about 4 hours. weeks. :)
[/quote]

There, fixed that for ya.
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

Chief-O

• .....and it goes like this!!!
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2006, 12:18:52 PM »
No, he'll just wait til Indiana gets a new lottery show.
There are three things I've learned never to discuss with people: Religion, politics, and the proper wrapping of microphone cables.

Speedy G

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2006, 12:29:55 PM »
ADHD indeed.

A quick rule rundown for those not in Ohio:

5 teams of 3 play in each of 2 first round games.  Everyone sees two game boards with 20 amounts of money on each: a "safe" board that contains less money, but almost always SOME money, and a "risk" board that has bigger amounts, but several zeros.  Each team (the order in each round being chosen at random) is given 3 seconds for each person to hit a button to make their own choice as to which board to play.  Majority rules.  They then hit a button that "spins" the board and picks an amount from each board, the team getting the amount from the board they chose, and both amounts removed from play.  After each round, the boards are replenished; after three rounds, the team with the highest score advances to the "semis".

In the semis, each of the six advancing players play as individuals.  Each chooses one of six "cards": four of them hide nothing, one of them hides $5000, and one hides $10K and the right to challenge the returning champion.  First time down the line, everyone picks a card (or "steals" one of their opponents' cards forcing that player to repick).  The $5000 is revealed, then another pass is made in which a player can keep their card, or have the computer swap it for a randomly chosen opponents' card.  At the end of the second pass, the person with the $5K can take it and leave, or swap one final time with a card of their choice giving that person $2500 (and some Extended Play mumbo jumbo jackpot thingy claims the other half) and pushing them out of the game.  They then reveal who has the $10K.

The "final"?  Take turns picking colored ping-pong balls out of this drum until one of you finds a white or green ball (green ball winning the Extended Play mumbo jumbo jackpot thingy), earning $50K and the right to come back next week to pick colored ping-pong balls.

Wow.

I think (for a lottery show anyway) that the front game is mildly interesting, except you can't read the values on the game board (unless you have like a 60 inch TV).  Humorously, one team risked every time and got zeros every time, including one round where they managed to yank a zero off the safe board too.  Beyond things like that, you don't really know the difference between the safe board and the risk board.  (Minimum win of $3K per team; yes it would be much more fun if a team could go away with zero.)

The rest of the show, the parts that are supposed to be really exciting, are awful.  There are nitpicks all over the place (who decided to give the audience cards saying SAFE and RISK to wave in the air?), but the last two rounds are just plain lame.  Plus it's obvious that they're giving away less money than Cash Explosion.

Did I mention the host is Yet Another Young Smarmy Kid Who's Had His Teeth Whitened?
Solar-powered flashlight, hour 4 of the Today show, the Purple Parrots.  *rips open envelope, blows into it*

brianhenke

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2006, 12:35:38 AM »
Well, someone asked for me, and here I am.

Anyway, the Ohio Lottery has posted the contestants for the  upcoming shows.

Make Me Famous Make Me Rich website

Brian

Des Moines is the capital of Idaho?
The leaves start to change color in May?

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2006, 12:39:41 AM »
[quote name=\'brianhenke\' post=\'133923\' date=\'Oct 9 2006, 12:35 AM\']
Well, someone asked for me, and here I am.
[/quote]

Not an investor in sarcasm detectors, are ya?
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022