Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: J! At Radio City  (Read 2314 times)

mystery7

J! At Radio City
« on: October 06, 2006, 02:51:55 AM »
Chucknet and I are just back from Radio City Music Hall and a taping of Celebrity Jeopardy! We thoroughly enjoyed ourselves, and I think you'll enjoy the shows. Facts and opinion below.

It was a well-attended show. The line stretched down the block almost to 5th Ave. by the time we got there, but they kept it moving well once the doors opened. I don't think there's a bad seat at Radio City (of course, it was my first time there so I'm no authority). Chuck and I got a nice, if slightly distant, view from the second mezzanine.

They only taped one show tonight, which got under way after a rehearsal show with a stand-in for Alex named Jimmy McGuire. In the rehearsal was a gaffe in an audio question: "Container mentioned in this song." Instead of playing the correct "Roll Out The Barrel", the audio person cued up Blondie's "Call Me." Things were smooth after that.

WABC reporter Diana Williams made an appearance on stage between the rehearsal and the game to ask Alex and Johnny a few questions...and to give Johnny a kiss.

During each break, Alex glibly took questions from the audience. One neat fact revealed tonight is that Alan Mills, Alex's wardrobe person, is the son of one of The Mills Brothers. Someone really put Alex on the spot by asking him, "Mets or Yanks?" His response: "I'm running for office so I'm staying neutral." Another on-the-spot moment came when someone asked Alex who his favorite celebrity player was. "Susan Lucci's husband is here tonight, so.... Actually, they're all my favorites."

The set's done up in a very nice late '30s art-deco style that will no doubt look great if you're watching in SD, and fabulous in HD. You'll have to make the call on whether they really needed the replica of Lady Liberty's torch.

The show taped tonight will air on Monday, November 13 with Scott Thurow, Paul Shaffer, and Susan Lucci. More tapings will follow on Saturday and Sunday, and I hope anyone here who's attending on those days can fill us in with their impressions.

jmangin

J! At Radio City
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2006, 08:39:31 AM »
What was Johnny's warmup like?  He did the warmup for shows I attended here in DC a few years ago, and I barely felt energized.  

Did he say "You might remember me from the Dinah Shore Show?"
« Last Edit: October 06, 2006, 10:29:07 AM by jmangin »

itiparanoid13

J! At Radio City
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2006, 12:29:13 PM »
AP has a photo of the set.  I really wouldn't mind if this is the new permanent set.  It's a lot nicer than what they are using now, IMO.

Allstar87

J! At Radio City
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2006, 12:36:06 PM »
[quote name=\'itiparanoid13\' post=\'133688\' date=\'Oct 6 2006, 12:29 PM\']
AP has a photo of the set.  I really wouldn't mind if this is the new permanent set.  It's a lot nicer than what they are using now, IMO.
[/quote]

I like it too. Reminds me of the Million Dollar Masters set they used back in '02. Or maybe it's no mistake, seeing as how these episodes are filmed in the same place as the Masters tournament.

LouKip

J! At Radio City
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2006, 01:23:23 PM »
[quote name=\'mystery7\' post=\'133643\' date=\'Oct 6 2006, 01:51 AM\']
You'll have to make the call on whether they really needed the replica of Lady Liberty's torch.
[/quote]
Seeing the set in the AP photo, my first thought about the torch:

<heston>
"You maniacs! You blew it up! Ah, damn you! God...damn you all to hell!"
</heston>

mystery7

J! At Radio City
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2006, 04:29:27 PM »
[quote name=\'jmangin\' post=\'133663\' date=\'Oct 6 2006, 08:39 AM\']
What was Johnny's warmup like?  He did the warmup for shows I attended here in DC a few years ago, and I barely felt energized.  

[/quote]
In fact, he did mention Dinah. And I didn't think it was that much of a warm-up so much as a reminder to clap real loud and smile nice for the cameras roving around on the booms. He did have a couple humorous moments, but definitely a different brand of warm-up from someone like, say, Randy West.

WhammyPower

J! At Radio City
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2006, 05:40:57 PM »
[quote name=\'itiparanoid13\' post=\'133688\' date=\'Oct 6 2006, 11:29 AM\']
[/quote]
If they do use the set, at least keep the podiums.  They are SO much better.

Fedya

J! At Radio City
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2006, 05:57:35 PM »
Mystery 7 wrote:
And I didn't think it was that much of a warm-up so much as a reminder to clap real loud and smile nice for the cameras roving around on the booms.
Perhaps the J! producers want an audience that's not as obnoxious as the audiences on other shows.  (Count me in with the folks in the other thread who don't like Millionaire audience members clapping before Meredith reveals the correct answer.)
-- Ted Schuerzinger, now blogging at <a href=\"http://justacineast.blogspot.com/\" target=\"_blank\">http://justacineast.blogspot.com/[/url]

No Fark slashes were harmed in the making of this post

gsfreak82

J! At Radio City
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2006, 07:26:18 PM »
[quote name=\'jmangin\' post=\'133663\' date=\'Oct 6 2006, 08:39 AM\']

[/quote]

I saw him do warm ups for shows her in Philly and thought he did a great job.  Then again I was already energised with addreniline about seeing the show.  But he was the nicest announcer/warmup guy.  He let me take a couple of pics with him and he signed my sign I made.  Hope it comes back to Philly soon.

Queen of Nerdocrombesia

J! At Radio City
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2006, 01:49:21 PM »
I went to the Saturday afternoon taping of Celebrity Jeopardy! at Radio City, and like the others who attended earler tapings, a fun time was had by all.  It was nice to go to a taping where it didn't take 3 hours to do one episode.

Getting there nearly two hours early, I ended up in the back half of the orchestra section, given that practically all of the front half was dedicated to the VIP attendees, including the members of the Clue Crew (front row, 5th section).  I would say all seats ended up filled.

They taped 2 shows with my audience (we were told that most of the other tapings were 1 show only), although the woman next to me had also gotten into the morning taping.  Jimmy McGuire (self-proclaimed "The fake Alex") was again the rehearsal host.  The first rehearsal had the "Roll Out the Barrel" clue (played correctly), and the second rehearsal used the "Call Me" clue.  No audio gaffes here.

In the break between rehearsal and game 1, WABC meteorologist Bill Evans came out to proclaim his enjoyment for the show, and to give us the weather.

Alex also answered a few questions between breaks.  The first question was, once again, "Mets or Yanks?"  His response this time: "Washington Redskins."  Among the other facts (non-spoiler) learned that day:
*One of Alex's favorite shows was with Eddie Timanus.
*Ken Jennings just sent Alex "Brainiac" last week, and he's currently reading "Prisoner in Trebekistan".
*Johnny Gilbert has 12 differently-colored Jeopardy! silk jackets (he had his red one on Saturday).

During the second game, Johnny began to introduce the wrong celebrities, making everyone start over again.  This led Johnny to mention the time he introduced Alex as Wink Martindale early into Jeopardy!'s run.  Alex also had to rerecord 2 clues during a break.

The first game, #5103, to be aired Wednesday, November 15, had Doug Savant, Jane Kaczmarek, and Curt Schilling (Red Sox in NYC, you can imagine the audience reaction).  Game 2, #5104, will air November 16 with Dana Delany, Brian Stokes Mitchell, and Drew Lachey.

Jury's still out on the "Planet of the Apes" element of the set.  I guess they felt they needed the "regional" flair.  It could've done well enough without it.

I'll agree with mystery7 on his feelings about Johnny's warm up.  I had noticed him onstage about 15 minutes before he introduced himself and started interacting with the audience.  But I probably prefer a warmup like his to a hired standup who just tries too hard to entertain and can't pull it off.  No mention of Dinah, but he did casually mention doing "The Price is Right" around the time Merv was doing "Play Your Hunch".
"These days, if a show doesn't make it in a couple of weeks, it goes out in the alley.  Faith has become too expensive."

--Garry Moore, 1979

brianhenke

J! At Radio City
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2006, 04:41:15 PM »
(Massive overquoting deleted. -DZ)

Getty Images has photos of a game taped today. The matchup is: James Denton vs. Bebe Neuwrith vs. Neil Patrick Harris.

Brian

100 plus 100 equals 600?
« Last Edit: October 08, 2006, 04:47:03 PM by dzinkin »
The leaves start to change color in May?

Allstar87

J! At Radio City
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2006, 05:24:58 PM »
[quote name=\'brianhenke\' post=\'133870\' date=\'Oct 8 2006, 04:41 PM\']
Getty Images has photos of a game taped today. The matchup is: James Denton vs. Bebe Neuwrith vs. Neil Patrick Harris.
[/quote]

I'd provide the link, but some of the pictures show the game in progress. One even gives away the final scores & overall winner! So if you don't want to know the outcome, don't seek them out.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2006, 05:25:31 PM by Allstar87 »

tvwxman

J! At Radio City
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2006, 07:24:05 PM »
The Denton/Lilith/Doogie game was great. And they're all nice people. I know , since I was on stage with them during the rehearsal.

(I love my job, but one caveat. When you're standing on the Radio City Music Hall stage with 4000 people in front of you, the only thing you're thinking about is "Please don't trip down the stairs".)

Amongst the VIPs there, during the actual game, Alex introduced Brad Rutter, sitting in the audience 10 rows back , dead center.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2006, 07:25:30 PM by tvwxman »
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"