Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: TPIR Shirt Craze  (Read 3772 times)

J.R.

TPIR Shirt Craze
« on: October 06, 2006, 03:32:23 PM »
I can remember watching shows as late as 1995 where everyone in the audience was still wearing normal clothing.

Just when did the whole customized shirt thing start? Is there an episode out there that has the first time someone came out with one of these shirts?

-Joe R.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2006, 03:35:05 PM by JRaygor »
-Joe Raygor

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
TPIR Shirt Craze
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2006, 06:48:13 PM »
Since when were T-shirts not normal?

Steve G might be able to answer that (at least he seems more qualified than I do) but my personal hunch would be that if there was in increase of groups, there would be an increase of unqiue tees.  

/I was 10 in 1995, and I'm lucky to remember what day it is now.
This signature is currently under construction.

TimK2003

TPIR Shirt Craze
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2006, 07:27:43 PM »
[quote name=\'Joe Mello\' post=\'133743\' date=\'Oct 6 2006, 05:48 PM\']
Since when were T-shirts not normal?

Steve G might be able to answer that (at least he seems more qualified than I do) but my personal hunch would be that if there was in increase of groups, there would be an increase of unqiue tees.  

/I was 10 in 1995, and I'm lucky to remember what day it is now.
[/quote]

The customized T-shirt craze goes way back to the late-70's & early 80s (didn't Vanna White have a special T-Shirt when she got called down back in the pre-Wheel days)??.  

I think a lot of it has to do when the college-aged kids became the vast majority of the TPIR audience.  

Going back 10 or 15 years ago,  you could get to CBS TV city around 7 or 8AM and still be guaranteed a good spot in line.  But in recent years  you almost have to get there by 3 or 4AM to get that same spot in line.  

Thus, it's a strong theory that the older, casual crowds with normal clothing have given up on going to see & participate in  the show, which means the crazier younger crowds with equally crazy shirts are now the dominant audience members.

(And BTW, my wife and I both had specially-made airbrushed tees for the show  -- though ours only said "Just Married" on them.  A $60 investment netted us $800 in prizes, not a bad little payoff!!!)

alfonzos

TPIR Shirt Craze
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2006, 07:46:37 PM »
It's LMaD all over again. Audience members will be wearing costumes in a couple of years. Mark my words.
A Cliff Saber Production
email address: alfonzos@aol.com
Boardgame Geek user name: alfonzos

Steve McClellan

TPIR Shirt Craze
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2006, 11:05:55 PM »
[quote name=\'alfonzos\' date=\'Oct 6 2006, 07:46 PM\']It's LMaD all over again. Audience members will be wearing costumes in a couple of years. Mark my words.[/quote]
Except that their tickets clearly state "No Costumes". Otherwise, they probably would have already.

EDIT: Oh, and Vanna's shirt read "Get Serious". It didn't strike me as custom-made.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2006, 11:07:26 PM by Steve McClellan »

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
TPIR Shirt Craze
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2006, 01:37:03 AM »
And Roger Dobkowitz (producer-type person) has stated in interviews that they do not grade interviews based on shirts.

One thing the shirts are good for, however, is marking groups.  Cotenstant coordiators and pages will probably agree on that.
This signature is currently under construction.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
TPIR Shirt Craze
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2006, 01:59:11 AM »
[quote name=\'Joe Mello\' post=\'133778\' date=\'Oct 6 2006, 10:37 PM\']
And Roger Dobkowitz (producer-type person) has stated in interviews that they do not grade interviews based on shirts.[/quote] He can say whatever he wants; what he does is something else entirely. Or Stan, since I think that's who picks the players. The thing is, if eight of nine people picked to play have customized shirts, does that mean that 280 people in the audience were wearing one that day, or did a whole section of the crowd unknowingly disqualify themselves?

One thing the shirts are good for, however, is marking groups.  Cotenstant coordiators and pages will probably agree on that.
I have no problem with everyone from a college wearing the same shirt, or the Army guys being in uniform, or the Possum Lodge members all wearing their hats. It's when the shirts get over-the-top that bothers me.
Travis L. Eberle

narzo

TPIR Shirt Craze
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2006, 11:02:40 AM »
[quote name=\'Joe Mello\' post=\'133778\' date=\'Oct 7 2006, 12:37 AM\']
And Roger Dobkowitz (producer-type person) has stated in interviews that they do not grade interviews based on shirts.
[/quote]

although Jenny Jones stated that she was at the show many times and didn't get selected.  Then she says one day she showed up with a t-shirt and no bra.  "Jenny Jones, c'mon down!"

Steve Gavazzi

TPIR Shirt Craze
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2006, 05:28:23 PM »
All that means is that Phil Rossi was doing the interviewing that day. :-P

Anyway...as MSTieScott stated a while back, if 8/9 of the audience on a given day has on customized t-shirts, it stands to reason that about 8/9 of the contestants will probably be people with customized t-shirts.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2006, 05:30:29 PM by Steve Gavazzi »

Neumms

TPIR Shirt Craze
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2006, 06:05:49 PM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'133779\' date=\'Oct 7 2006, 12:59 AM\']
I have no problem with everyone from a college wearing the same shirt, or the Army guys being in uniform, or the Possum Lodge members all wearing their hats. It's when the shirts get over-the-top that bothers me.
[/quote]

Same here. Those kinds of shirts are natural attire. It's the homemade ones referring to Bob and the show that bug me, particularly when they're a size or three too small. I'll take Roger at his word if he says they don't figure into his selections. What I say is that they should figure in--they should disqualify you. They make the show seem way trashier than it otherwise would.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
TPIR Shirt Craze
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2006, 06:13:51 PM »
[quote name=\'Neumms\' post=\'133805\' date=\'Oct 7 2006, 03:05 PM\']Same here. Those kinds of shirts are natural attire. It's the homemade ones referring to Bob and the show that bug me, particularly when they're a size or three too small. I'll take Roger at his word if he says they don't figure into his selections. What I say is that they should figure in--they should disqualify you. They make the show seem way trashier than it otherwise would.[/quote]You have managed to perfectly articulate what I couldn't wrap my head around. Thanks for that. There's something about the costumes that makes "Let's Make a Deal" fun and interesting, and the homemade shirts (and you're right, most of the time a bouncy young lady is wearing one, it's too small) for Price are irritating. I don't know why the difference is there, because Deal is almost completely intuition, and TPIR at least has the pricing knowledge. Maybe it's that there are only so many ways to say "Bob Rules" or "I Wanna Play Plinko!" on a shirt, but there are literally hundreds of different costume opportunities.
Travis L. Eberle

SuperMatch93

TPIR Shirt Craze
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2006, 10:43:34 PM »
When did the guy with the "I'm here to kiss Holly" t-shirt go on?
Definitely sometime before 1995.
-William https://cookcounty.biz
https://www.donorschoose.org/classroom/cpsbermudez
"30 years from now, people won’t care what we’re doing right now." - Bob Barker on The Price is Right, 1983

Steve Gavazzi

TPIR Shirt Craze
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2006, 01:02:35 AM »
I don't have the date on-hand, but that guy is Ted Slauson...he's a regular at Golden-Road, and I talk to him usually a couple times a week.  Decent guy.

ClockGameJohn

TPIR Shirt Craze
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2006, 08:12:10 PM »
[quote name=\'Steve Gavazzi\' post=\'133829\' date=\'Oct 8 2006, 01:02 AM\']
I don't have the date on-hand, but that guy is Ted Slauson...he's a regular at Golden-Road, and I talk to him usually a couple times a week.  Decent guy.
[/quote]

His show aired 10/19/92.

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
TPIR Shirt Craze
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2006, 08:18:36 PM »
[quote name=\'Steve Gavazzi\' post=\'133829\' date=\'Oct 8 2006, 12:02 AM\']
[/quote]
Must...resist...temptation...to...do...Slauson...cutoff...joke....

@#$%!

ObGS:  "Temptation" is both a game show title and a TPiR pricing game.

Doug -- and the countdown to 2300 continues
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)