Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Tips for hosting a game show  (Read 3739 times)

rebelwrest

Tips for hosting a game show
« on: October 08, 2006, 03:00:54 PM »
On wednesday, I will be helping a group of students perform a ten minute project for theater class.  The group was interested in doing a game show, and I ended up picking the game, hosting, and writing the puzzles.  The game we are going to play is Definition.  There will an assistant to put the letters into the puzzle (a man in drag), two celebrities (the other 2 people involved in the project), and two civilians who volunteered to play; however, the people playing do not know the puzzles.  My professor has already told me to write up some script to follow, which I have done.

I must also say that I am doing this after performing my project: my first ever stand-up comedy routine.  I think I did pretty well, but everyone keeps saying I was fantastic.

Someone, hopefully, will bring in a video camera to tape the show, and the project may become a pilot episode for our own WJU Definition.  If I am lucky, the video may end up on youtube, and all of you may get to see it.

Do any of you who has hosted have any tips for me.  I am taking this project seriously.

Thank You

Tad Hudkins
My favorite Win Ben Stein's Money Category:

Where Am I Doc? Urinalysis Restaurant.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2006, 05:51:42 PM »
Yeah. Get the guy out of drag. Nobody's gonna get the joke, and you're just going to take credibility away from your show.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Don Howard

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2006, 07:23:13 PM »
Say the word "okay" as seldom as possible.
Don't be a hog when it comes to the talking.
If a player or 'celeb' lets out a funny line, let that person get the laugh and don't try to top it.
Stay in present time. Revel in the grand moment it is after the moment has passed.
Don't expect it to go perfectly. Be prepared for mistakes and focus upon their correction without stressing.
Make sure every one is thanked for their time and their attention when it's through. They will then, most likely, look forward to working with you again.
Have fun with this. Don't obsess over thoughts like, "Oh, I gotta get this right. If not, it's the end of everything". It's not the end of anything. You'll learn from things that go right and wrong and bear those in mind in your next project.
Much good luck with it. You've chosen a great game for the event. Hope you can get it upon YouTube afterwards.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2006, 08:45:09 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'133881\' date=\'Oct 8 2006, 05:51 PM\']
Yeah. Get the guy out of drag. [/quote]
I'll second this.  If you're really planning to take it seriously -- as you say -- nobody else will as long as there's a guy in a dress helping you.  That's all anybody will care about.

Also, the fact that you just finished a stand-up project sends up some red flags.  Rule number one:  As a host, you are not there to "perform".  By and large, actors and stand-up comics make the worst hosts.  You are there  to BE clever and charming, not to ACT clever and charming.  There's a difference.  Plus, and not incidentally, you're there to move the game along.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Clay Zambo

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2006, 09:00:20 PM »
I suspect you already do, but I'd suggest this: know the game cold.  Know how to play it, how to explain how to play it, and how to handle every game-play situation you can think of.  You might want to make a flow-chart version of the game for yourself, a choose-your-own-adventure sort of script, and be ready for every contingency.

And everything my distinguished colleagues said about having fun, too.
czambo@mac.com

DrBear

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2006, 10:00:56 PM »
Don't fool around with the models, unless you're Bob Barker.
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

Kevin Prather

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2006, 10:43:04 PM »
[quote name=\'DrBear\' post=\'133907\' date=\'Oct 8 2006, 07:00 PM\']
Don't fool around with the models, unless you're Bob Barker.
[/quote]
Oh, yeah. When we said "Get the guy out of drag," that's not what we meant. :)

rebelwrest

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2006, 11:28:37 PM »
Thanks for the tips. However, I must mention this, it's their project and they have the right do to what they want in their project. I may make the suggestion of one of the girls being the helper, but if they want the man to be in drag, so be it.  They wanted to do a game show, my ears perked up, and suggested a game.  They liked my suggestion and wanted me to host it.  I will act professionally with only jokes during the celebrity introductions.  I will give them plenty of advice, but they have the final decision.  Hopefully the game show will be a success in the class, and with an officer from my campus activities board, this game may make it as a program on the college TV station.

I have realized that their is a difference between doing comedy and hosting a game show, and I am not showing my stand-up unless there is a desperate need for it.  Also, I have already done my project (the stand-up routine), and this is basically for bonus points.

Thanks for the suggestions,

Tad

clemon79

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2006, 11:45:33 PM »
[quote name=\'rebelwrest\' post=\'133917\' date=\'Oct 8 2006, 08:28 PM\']
Thanks for the tips. However, I must mention this, it's their project and they have the right do to what they want in their project. I may make the suggestion of one of the girls being the helper, but if they want the man to be in drag, so be it.  
[/quote]
Okay, I should have read more closely. You're helping with SOMEONE ELSE'S project, this isn't your own.

So, yes, you're right, if they want to ruin it by putting a dude in a dress, that's their choice.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2006, 12:03:09 AM »
[quote name=\'rebelwrest\' post=\'133917\' date=\'Oct 8 2006, 08:28 PM\']I have realized that their is a difference between doing comedy and hosting a game show, and I am not showing my stand-up unless there is a desperate need for it.  Also, I have already done my project (the stand-up routine), and this is basically for bonus points.[/quote]If they say "no comedy routine", then that's what you do, since it's their dime. If you were hosting your own You Bet Your Life-ish sort of thing, then I'd say to go nuts. From what I've seen of it, Definition has enough jokes that you can get laughs just from the material being revealed. (Not great gags, mind, but more of the "roll your eyes pun" sort of thing we were served daily on Scrabble.)
If you didn’t create it, it isn’t your content.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2006, 06:30:38 AM »
Above all, be yourself. Don't try to affect an imitation of Bob Barker, Alex Trebek, Richard Dawson, or any other game show emcee past or present. You are playing a role and the character is YOU.

JayRockUSA

« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2006, 11:58:14 AM »
(Formatting modified by moderator. -DZ)

== JAY SEZ: ==
I agree with Chris. The more you just be yourself with your audience, the more comfortable you are with you AND your audience.
Though imitation could be the best form of flattery, you're better off wearing your own shoes, instead of tryin' to fit sombody else's.

Kelly out! Enjoy your day! :)

~JK~
JK @ MySpace!!

PS to Dr. BEAR: Sweet comeback with the models!! Couldn't have said it any better!!
Yo, Zink... GIVE THIS GUY A RAISE!!!! ;)
« Last Edit: October 09, 2006, 12:12:17 PM by dzinkin »

clemon79

« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2006, 12:15:36 PM »
Wow, is that gonna get old fast.

rebelwrest

« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2006, 02:55:00 PM »
[quote name=\'JayRockUSA\' post=\'133942\' date=\'Oct 9 2006, 11:58 AM\']== JAY SEZ: ==[/b]
I agree with Chris. The more you just be yourself with your audience, the more comfortable you are with you AND your audience.
Though imitation could be the best form of flattery, you're better off wearing your own shoes, instead of tryin' to fit sombody else's.
[/quote]

I think Jim Perry did not have size 14 shoes.  It is amazing that once you think your are done planning, there is still more to do.  During the night, I came up with no less than 10 new puzzles that are better than the ones I am planning to use.  So I may change the puzzle lineup (maximum of 3 puzzles).  The rest have decided to go casual (so the letterman isn't in drag anymore), but they are letting me dress up in a suit and tie.  I now have to borrow a camera from the school's TV station to make sure it is taped.

Hoping for the best
Tad

P.S.  Here is one of the puzzles I probably cannot use

The Role of a Detective

ACTING LIKE A DICK

aaron sica

« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2006, 04:57:54 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'133943\' date=\'Oct 9 2006, 12:15 PM\']
Wow, is that gonna get old fast.
[/quote]

Yeah, 5 posts and he's already getting on people's nerves..
« Last Edit: October 09, 2006, 04:58:55 PM by aaron sica »