Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Nice Looking Update on Wheel  (Read 5611 times)

Skynet74

Nice Looking Update on Wheel
« on: September 09, 2003, 07:03:57 PM »
Nice Lights on the Wheel. I also really like the Puzzle Board, but it looks like it needs something else on top. It's almost like it's missing something. Pretty cool overall though.

John

Brandon Brooks

« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2003, 08:19:40 PM »
Yeah, it's kind of spartan.  But it looks nice IMO.

Brandon Brooks

Particleman

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2003, 08:28:56 PM »
I was a little disappointed, especially after reading the article on the show's web page.  Although the new set looks great, the article led me to think the money they spent on the technology used to give the show its new appearance would make it look vastly different.  Overall, a very nice, clean look.

Kevin Prather

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2003, 10:18:27 PM »
the wheel's lights at the beginning of the show remind me of the whammy set.

Ian Wallis

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2003, 12:06:36 PM »
Does anybody miss the \"eggcrate\" score displays - or are you happy with the new readouts?

Personally, I'd grown accustomed to the eggcrates!
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

zachhoran

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2003, 12:10:40 PM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' date=\'Sep 10 2003, 11:06 AM\'] Does anybody miss the "eggcrate" score displays - or are you happy with the new readouts?

Personally, I'd grown accustomed to the eggcrates! [/quote]
 Eggcrates are nice, but I guess they're unfortunately dated(though TPIR and the current Feud still use them)

Brandon Brooks

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2003, 12:24:51 PM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' date=\'Sep 10 2003, 11:06 AM\'] Does anybody miss the "eggcrate" score displays - or are you happy with the new readouts?

The hard red, yellow, blue color of the monitor borders don't go with the pastel-like red, yellow, and blue pointers on the wheel.  The colors on the monitors themselves do go with the wheel at all.

Other than that, I'm actually surprised that I've grown accustomed to the monitors.

Brandon Brooks

Neumms

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2003, 12:58:57 PM »

I sort of miss the egg crates, too, although WoF's never looked as good as other shows'. They always seemed crooked and burned out, at least in years past. The monitors would be better if they could come up with a simpler, more elegant way for the scores to change. It looks like they picked whichever trick was on the demo.

The truly lousy displays are on \"Jeopardy!\" I thought the digital ones were stylish, nothing wrong with them. On the monitors, the font they picked for the numbers is terrible--an ugly face to begin with, then overly manipulated and poorly kerned. They need a new art director in the worst way.

Brandon Brooks

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2003, 01:54:27 PM »
[quote name=\'Neumms\' date=\'Sep 10 2003, 11:58 AM\'] The truly lousy displays are on "Jeopardy!" I thought the digital ones were stylish, nothing wrong with them. On the monitors, the font they picked for the numbers is terrible--an ugly face to begin with, then overly manipulated and poorly kerned. They need a new art director in the worst way. [/quote]
 Now, I definitely agree with this.  I haven't seen a new season episode yet, but the font face is really not that good at all; it's too narrow.  However, the whole set is beginning to fall out of favor with me; it's too busy.  That MDM's set would be awesome as J!'s new set, minus the torch.

Brandon Brooks

Kevin Prather

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2003, 09:41:50 PM »
i think my favorite J! set of all time would have to be te one used before thesushi bar set. with the grids in the background, the flashing JEOPARDY! lights, and the black marble floor. it always seemed very stylish to me.

Brandon Brooks

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2003, 10:00:20 PM »
[quote name=\'whoserman\' date=\'Sep 10 2003, 08:41 PM\'] i think my favorite J! set of all time would have to be te one used before thesushi bar set. with the grids in the background, the flashing JEOPARDY! lights, and the black marble floor. it always seemed very stylish to me. [/quote]
 Wasn't marble, just a black floor like WoF's.  The sushi bar set had a marble floor.

That was my favorite as well.

Brandon Brooks

GS Warehouse

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2003, 11:01:55 PM »
[quote name=\'whoserman\' date=\'Sep 10 2003, 08:41 PM\'] i think my favorite J! set of all time would have to be te one used before thesushi bar set. with the grids in the background, the flashing JEOPARDY! lights, and the black marble floor. it always seemed very stylish to me. [/quote]
 Go figure: that was the set Ed Flesh designed.  BTW, did anyone see who designed the current set?

1984-91 - Bob Rang
1991-96 - Ed Flesh
1996-2002 (\"Sushi bar\") - Naomi Slodki
2002-present - ???

uncamark

« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2003, 02:55:21 PM »
[quote name=\'GS Warehouse\' date=\'Sep 10 2003, 10:01 PM\'][Go figure: that was the set Ed Flesh designed.  BTW, did anyone see who designed the current set?

1984-91 - Bob Rang
1991-96 - Ed Flesh
1996-2002 (\"Sushi bar\") - Naomi Slodki
2002-present - ???[/quote]
According to the web site, it's Naomi (who also did the remote sets).

Also, a couple of \"Wheel\" people are now working on the \"J!\" side (not surprising with Friedman running both shops)--Christina Grabig's the production accountant and Tony Pandolfo's a contestant assistant.  Otherwise, all of the writers are the familiars (as of last year, Billy Weisse became the material supervisor with Gary Johnson's promotion to producer), Suzanne Stone leads a mostly-new group of fact checkers and Suzanne Thurber still is the queen of contestants--and anyone who's worked in television is always thankful to have a job that's lasted as long as these have.

zachhoran

« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2003, 07:53:28 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Sep 11 2003, 01:55 PM\']

Also, a couple of "Wheel" people are now working on the "J!" side (not surprising with Friedman running both shops)--Christina Grabig's the production accountant and Tony Pandolfo's a contestant assistant [/quote]
 Tony Pandolfo of course is a veteran of Bob Stewart Productions as a contestant coordinator and other capacities. Tony is friends and poker buddies with Stewart, Betty WHite, and Henry Polic II(they appeared with Carol Burnett and her kids on a week of Dawson's Feud in 1994-95)

trainman

« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2003, 08:14:22 PM »
Tony's been at J! since at least the latter stages of last season...he ran the contestant tryout in Culver City this past April (Susanne wasn't there).  He mentioned some of the other shows he had worked on, but managed to avoid name-dropping Henry Polic II.
trainman is a man of trains