Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: PDQ  (Read 4761 times)

alfonzos

PDQ
« on: October 12, 2006, 06:44:50 PM »
1965 saw the debut of an unassuming little word game called PDQ. The game was easy to understand. One team, called the Home Team, was made up of two celebrities. The other team, called the Challengers, was made up of a celebrity and a civilian. The civilian was the only player who could win anything. The teams alternated turns. One player of each team sat in an isolation booth so if the other team played first that player would not learn the answer to that round’s phrase. Dennis James, the host, would tell the players how many words were in this round’s phrase and one player would put the plastic letters one would see on a theater marquis on the team’s gameboard. Three letters would be placed to start and every few seconds the player would be given a cue to add another letter. The object is to solve the phrase using fewer letters than the opponent.

I have the pilot episode in my tape collection. The show is fun if one enjoys playing along. The show is best enjoyed with the sound low. Although the players get into the spirit of the game most of their guesses are incoherent noises repeated ad nauseam. The winning team of each phrase would receive the difference in the letters used added to the team’s score. The first team to score ten wins. The civilian plays the bonus game solitaire whether or not winning the main game. However, the civilian plays for a bigger prize if the Home Team is defeated. In the bonus game the player must guess each of ten words after being shown three letters of each word. Rather than being given a time limit for the entire round, sixty seconds, say, a player is given five seconds for each word.

The pilot proved promising and PDQ went into syndication with some positive changes. The scoring system was scrapped and the civilian won a small prize each round every time the Home Team was tied or beaten each round. The third, fourth and sometimes fifth rounds were the PDQ Special. This was a best of three series for a slightly larger prize. My favorite rule change involved actual gameplay: a player was forced to begin a round using the first letter but not the first three letters. For example, if the answer is “Mississippi”, “MIS” and “MSI” would be illegal. There was a penalty of two letters for breaking this rule. The bonus game remained the same except the prize was trading stamps (remember those?). Every correct answer was worth $25 worth. If the Challengers used as many or fewer letters during the entire game then the value was doubled.

I have the home game by Milton Bradley but have never played it. The game uses the rules from the pilot. Both teams play simultaneously with the letters used shielded from the opponents. The guesser has to write down the guesses. With the rules from the series and a strickly enforced time limit for letter placement I think you would have a decent simulation of the television series that would be fun.

PDQ ceased production in 1969. The game would be revived and revamped in the seventies as Baffle. Baffle had several changes. First, it had the more conventional teams of celebrity-civilian versus celebrity-civilian. Second it made the mistake for changing the scoring system from letters used to time used. Now a close game of 15 letters used to 12 letters used is now a blowout at 45 seconds used to 30 seconds used. Third, the host was sports announcer by-trade Dick Engberg. He brought enthusiasm and kept the game moving but was not nearly as charming as seasoned veteran Dennis James. Concentration was cancelled to make way for Baffle but Baffle was hardly a replacement for Concentration.

I would like to see PDQ revived with some changes. Two civilians versus two civilians would bring some intense competition. The gameboard would probably be a electronic character generator so partners could not signal each other. Cryptic clues such as those used in Scrabble or Definition would bring an added dimension to the game. The closest the original PDQ ever came to a cryptic clue was when the target phrase was “See My Agent” rather than saying, “Three words.” Mr. James would ask each celebrity in the isolation booth, “Would you come back to be a guest on PDQ?” Scoring would revert to the original letters used. The Bonus Game would give one player a word and that player would choose which three letters to give to the partner as a clue.

Comments?
A Cliff Saber Production
email address: alfonzos@aol.com
Boardgame Geek user name: alfonzos

Jimmy Owen

PDQ
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2006, 07:28:16 PM »
I asked my mom what the title meant and she said "Never You Mind."
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

tomobrien

PDQ
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2006, 10:39:18 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' post=\'134316\' date=\'Oct 12 2006, 06:28 PM\']
[/quote]
It's in Webster's, defined as "immediately," originally derived from "pretty damned quick."  That's probably what Mom was shielding your delicate ears from.
Some of us of a certain age may remember PDQ as being a trademark for a rather bizarre granulated powder that you'd stir into milk to turn it chocolate, strawberry or egg nog flavor, or even sprinkle it on ice cream....

Neumms

PDQ
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2006, 11:08:55 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' post=\'134316\' date=\'Oct 12 2006, 06:28 PM\']
[/quote]

Around my school yard, one might have been told, "XYZ PDQ," the first half meaning "examine your zipper."

alfonzos

PDQ
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2006, 04:50:16 PM »
BTW, I meant "marquee" not "marquis".
A Cliff Saber Production

gsfreak82

PDQ
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2006, 05:59:43 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' post=\'134316\' date=\'Oct 12 2006, 07:28 PM\']
[/quote]

According to the Game Shows of '50's and '60's tape it stood for Please Draw Quickly.

cweaver

PDQ
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2006, 01:00:41 PM »
[quote name=\'alfonzos\' post=\'134308\' date=\'Oct 12 2006, 05:44 PM\']
Although the players get into the spirit of the game most of their guesses are incoherent noises repeated ad nauseam. [/quote]

And that to me was part of the fun of the game.  

Props for remembering such an underrated game.  I also have the pilot in my own collection but hope one day to be able to see the remake I remember so well, Baffle.  Sure it wasn't as good as the show it replaced (Concentration, but filling those shoes would be tough anyway) but it sure was a fun show to watch.  I'm disappointed we haven't seen more episodes of that one on the trading circuit...yet.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2006, 01:01:46 PM by cweaver »

cweaver

PDQ
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2006, 01:03:09 PM »
[quote name=\'tomobrien\' post=\'134338\' date=\'Oct 12 2006, 09:39 PM\']
It's in Webster's, defined as "immediately," originally derived from "pretty damned quick."  That's probably what Mom was shielding your delicate ears from.
Some of us of a certain age may remember PDQ as being a trademark for a rather bizarre granulated powder that you'd stir into milk to turn it chocolate, strawberry or egg nog flavor, or even sprinkle it on ice cream....
[/quote]

Ewww!  I remember my mother buying that so she could save the few extra pennies she would normally spend on Nestle's Quik.

MrBuddwing

PDQ
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2006, 01:10:36 PM »
One of my favorite game shows growing up.

Dennis James was a terrific host, and I remember some of the celebrity pairings.

Would you believe Don Adams and Barbara Feldon got to be the "home team" for a whole week while "Get Smart" was still on the air?

I also remember Michael Landon and comedian Mickey Manners were among the best players. Landon really took the game seriously.

One small quirky thing about PDQ: They made the female contestants play in their stocking feet. The official excuse was, what with all the running back and forth, they would stumble or slip with shoes on. (In the pilot, which I've seen, Gisele MacKenzie kept her shoes on, and yes, she did almost trip sometimes.) All fine and well, but the cameraman had a knack for framing the shot of the board so that the woman's shoeless feet were visible at the bottom of the picture.

Funny, the things you remember.

Alas, there's no going back - word has it that all of the tapes of PDQ were destroyed.

Blanquepage

• "Pacman cereal: it eats YOU!" - Geoff, Starcade
PDQ
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2006, 03:44:30 PM »
Alas, there's no going back - word has it that all of the tapes of PDQ were destroyed.

All except the pilot and episode #826 with celebrity guests Stubby Kaye, Joanne Worley, & Arte Johnson, the latter residing at UCLA.

It's a shame, really. PDQ was another forgotten classic of which I wish we could find more.

--Jamie
« Last Edit: October 14, 2006, 03:44:49 PM by Jimmy Fiono Coyne »

alfonzos

PDQ
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2006, 03:50:48 PM »
Fine responses. Thanks for indulging this new coot.

BTW, very often during a taping a player would put the letter on the marquee with such force the letter would snap in two. It happens during the pilot. Does anybody remember how the Bounus Game worked for Baffle? I couldn't recall.
A Cliff Saber Production

Blanquepage

• "Pacman cereal: it eats YOU!" - Geoff, Starcade
PDQ
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2006, 04:01:45 PM »
From what I understand, there were 2 variations of the end game. During the run in which it was simply "Baffle," the end game went like this:

30 seconds was given to solve 5 words, broken down into groups of 3 letters, at $50 a piece. In addition, each correct solving was worth 3 valuable seconds towards a sixth word, much tougher than the rest. Should the contestant correctly solve this 6th word, he / she wins a new car.

I'm not sure about "All-Star Baffle."

--Jamie
« Last Edit: October 14, 2006, 04:02:10 PM by Jimmy Fiono Coyne »

mbclev

PDQ
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2006, 04:21:11 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Fiono Coyne\' post=\'134512\' date=\'Oct 14 2006, 04:01 PM\']
From what I understand, there were 2 variations of the end game. During the run in which it was simply "Baffle," the end game went like this:

30 seconds was given to solve 5 words, broken down into groups of 3 letters, at $50 a piece. In addition, each correct solving was worth 3 valuable seconds towards a sixth word, much tougher than the rest. Should the contestant correctly solve this 6th word, he / she wins a new car.

I'm not sure about "All-Star Baffle."

--Jamie
[/quote]

I remember it as the player having to guess nine words in 30 seconds, with the eighth word getting the player a new car and the ninth one adding $5000 and a trip to that.  (On page 29 of The Ultimate TV Game Show Book, there is a picture of the "Baffle" bonus game set with that setup.)
« Last Edit: October 14, 2006, 04:22:25 PM by mbclev »