Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: 1 vs. 100  (Read 27250 times)

cweaver

1 vs. 100
« Reply #75 on: October 19, 2006, 11:51:23 AM »
[quote name=\'colonial\' post=\'134968\' date=\'Oct 19 2006, 10:40 AM\']
So expect to see all of NBC's game/reality fare moving to the 8p ET slot once football season ends.  Possibilities...

M - DoND
T - Reality show or Dateline
W - Reality show or Dateline
Th - DoND (?)
F - 1 vs. 100
Sa - Dateline
Su - America's Got Talent
[/quote]

First of all welcome aboard James great to have you here.

Secondly, keep in mind the news division itself is getting slashed too, so I really don't seem them diverting resources from Iraq to furnish several more Datelines.  This would mean even more game/reality shows and I wouldn't fall over with shock if we saw a second night of 1 Vs. 100.

Matt Ottinger

1 vs. 100
« Reply #76 on: October 19, 2006, 11:57:46 AM »
[quote name=\'cweaver\' post=\'134972\' date=\'Oct 19 2006, 11:51 AM\']Secondly, keep in mind the news division itself is getting slashed too, so I really don't seem them diverting resources from Iraq to furnish several more Datelines.  This would mean even more game/reality shows and I wouldn't fall over with shock if we saw a second night of 1 Vs. 100.[/quote]
As long as there are spectacularly stupid dirty-old-men, there will be Dateline.

Anybody getting the sense that NBC as an entity is just kinda giving up?  When DoND reruns show up on CNBC, and when MSNBC -- their breaking news channel -- becomes more and more a haven for who-knows-how-old documentaries, you just wonder if anyone over there cares anymore.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

mmb5

1 vs. 100
« Reply #77 on: October 19, 2006, 12:07:00 PM »
[quote name=\'colonial\' post=\'134968\' date=\'Oct 19 2006, 11:40 AM\']
First-time poster, long-time game show fan :)
[/quote]

And y'all get to see James soon -- he's in a future mob.

--Mike
Portions of this post not affecting the outcome have been edited or recreated.

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
1 vs. 100
« Reply #78 on: October 19, 2006, 12:15:14 PM »
[/quote]
Nice to have another Congress vet venture into our world.  Pleasure to have you aboard.

Doug
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

Matt Ottinger

1 vs. 100
« Reply #79 on: October 20, 2006, 09:42:13 AM »
I'm late to this party because I forgot to TiVo it and just caught the CNBC replay.

I probably didn't dislike it as much as the average, mostly because I was expecting something a lot closer to DoND than Jeopardy anyway.  The big thing I don't like is the attempt to build up suspense for the "reveal" of some of these painfully obvious multiple choice questions.  Lots of multiple-choice shows fall into this trap. (Greed was by far the worst.)  A lot of pacing problems would be eliminated if Saget didn't have to pretend he doesn't know what kind of animal Seabiscuit was.

The structure of the format seems sound enough, and I like very much the fact that mob members who were not eliminated carry over to the next game.  I hope that's true even when the mob wins, though I doubt it.  Saget's fine, but he's not the improvisational comic that Howie is.  In the long run, I think that will show.  (His gimmicky "apologizing" for his jokes twice in the first episode is a troubling sign.)

And yeah, cool set.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

TimK2003

1 vs. 100
« Reply #80 on: October 20, 2006, 02:24:54 PM »
[quote name=\'cweaver\' post=\'134972\' date=\'Oct 19 2006, 10:51 AM\']
Keep in mind the news division itself is getting slashed too, so I really don't seem them diverting resources from Iraq to furnish several more Datelines.  This would mean even more game/reality shows and I wouldn't fall over with shock if we saw a second night of 1 Vs. 100.
[/quote]

If that is so, then I hope they would kill hour 4 of Today, and bring back an hour of game shows (Concentration and ???) -- You know, for budgetary reasons!  :-p

Then again, that would run against TPiR out here in some of the Mountain Time Zone stations.

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
1 vs. 100
« Reply #81 on: October 20, 2006, 03:13:32 PM »
I'm in the same exact boat as Matt is - I caught the CNBC replay, and I thought it was especially funny when Bob Saget had to ask a contestant if she was sure on how many of DonD's cases are divisble by 3 after she had counted aloud all the possible answers. She was somebody who was probably too smart for the questions they had. It'll be better in the long run to have a bit tougher questions higher up (but still "gettable") rather than just import DonD's reject contestants to struggle over "What's the 25th letter of the alphabet?"

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

Hastin

1 vs. 100
« Reply #82 on: October 20, 2006, 03:32:16 PM »
[quote name=\'JasonA1\' post=\'135135\' date=\'Oct 20 2006, 12:13 PM\']
. It'll be better in the long run to have a bit tougher questions higher up (but still "gettable") rather than just import DonD's reject contestants to struggle over "What's the 25th letter of the alphabet?"
[/quote]

However, I could see that as a 1 vs 100 question:

"What's the 25th letter of the alphabet?"
A. A letter that is a vowel
B. A letter that is not a vowel
C. A letter that is sometimes a vowel

;)
-Hastin :)

NickS

1 vs. 100
« Reply #83 on: October 20, 2006, 11:28:42 PM »
[quote name=\'TimK2003\' post=\'135134\' date=\'Oct 20 2006, 01:24 PM\']

If that is so, then I hope they would kill hour 3 of Today[/quote]

Fixed that for you.  Hour four is in the plans, dependent on what good graces Jeff Zucker is in with Bob Wright.

GS Warehouse

1 vs. 100
« Reply #84 on: October 20, 2006, 11:32:53 PM »
[quote name=\'TeppanYaki\' post=\'135173\' date=\'Oct 20 2006, 11:28 PM\'][quote name=\'TimK2003\' post=\'135134\' date=\'Oct 20 2006, 01:24 PM\']If that is so, then I hope they would kill hour 3 of Today[/quote]Fixed that for you.  Hour four is in the plans, dependent on what good graces Jeff Zucker is in with Bob Wright.[/quote]Well, Today is NBC's most profitable show, so expanding to a fourth hour wouldn't surprise me.  Which brings us to today's business lesson: find out what makes you the most profit, then do more of it.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2006, 11:33:15 PM by GS Warehouse »

That Don Guy

1 vs. 100
« Reply #85 on: October 21, 2006, 01:22:41 AM »

Also to note is that NBC is apparently getting out of the scripted TV business from 8-9p, citing costs (NBC Universal is slashing 700 jobs and cutting $750M out of its budget -- formal announcement this afternoon).

So expect to see all of NBC's game/reality fare moving to the 8p ET slot once football season ends.  Possibilities...

M - DoND
T - Reality show or Dateline
W - Reality show or Dateline
Th - DoND (?)
F - 1 vs. 100
Sa - Dateline
Su - America's Got Talent
[/quote]
There might not be room for DoND twice - how about:
M - Deal or No Deal
Tu - Grease: You're the One that I Want (casting a late 2007 Broadway revival of Grease)
W - America's Got Talent
Th - America's Got Talent Results Show
F - The Apprentice
Sa - either Dateline or their "rerun of the week"
Su - 1 vs 100
(Maybe you can have The Apprentice on Thursdays at 9 and a second Deal on Fridays.)
You need two consecutive nights for America's Got Talent, and I think two weeknights is preferred to something like Sunday-Monday.

-- Don

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
1 vs. 100
« Reply #86 on: October 21, 2006, 02:15:07 AM »
Man it's a good things Heroes and Law and Order is on all over God's creation, because if NBC really wants to follow this philosophy, there may not be an NBC in 5 years.  And I thought they were doing better.

Interesting to see the learning curve ramped up big time this episode.
This signature is currently under construction.

Clay Zambo

1 vs. 100
« Reply #87 on: October 21, 2006, 11:37:44 AM »
[quote name=\'TeppanYaki\' post=\'135173\' date=\'Oct 20 2006, 11:28 PM\']
[quote name=\'TimK2003\' post=\'135134\' date=\'Oct 20 2006, 01:24 PM\']

If that is so, then I hope they would kill hour 3 of Today[/quote]

Fixed that for you.  Hour four is in the plans, dependent on what good graces Jeff Zucker is in with Bob Wright.
[/quote]

Geez.  If they go to hour 4, why not go all day?  Make it the "Today" network.
czambo@mac.com

BrandonFG

1 vs. 100
« Reply #88 on: October 27, 2006, 08:50:01 PM »
I finally get to watch the show tonite...no gameplay spoiled here.

I like it. A lot. I love the idea of a straight-forward trivia game show with no reality elements. This show actually has some potential, and I don't see this show using the lame gimmicks that turned me away from Deal.

Bob Saget appears to be loosening up, and has good interaction with the contestants. No complaints about him.

That being said, tone down the audience. Please. I have to agree that not every single thing needs to be applauded. Other than that, it's a pretty good show, would LOVE to see this hit the syndie rounds in '07 as well. Even more, I'd love to see this lead to more trivia-based game shows.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2006, 08:53:07 PM by fostergray82 »
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Stripey

1 vs. 100
« Reply #89 on: October 27, 2006, 09:54:11 PM »
Did anyone else notice that on tonight's show (at least after about the 10-minute mark when I caught it), whenever the contestant's total was displayed on the big screen, the graphic at the top read "1 vs. 65" no matter how many mob members were actually remaining? For a show that relies so much on its slick graphics and the "1 vs. XX" catchphrase, this struck me as a pretty sloppy error.