Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Who Wants To Be A Subsitute Host?  (Read 15025 times)

Matt Ottinger

Who Wants To Be A Subsitute Host?
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2006, 11:49:22 AM »
[quote name=\'Mike Tennant\' post=\'134964\' date=\'Oct 19 2006, 11:25 AM\']
Guest hosts were necessary back in the days of live TV; the tradition continued to some degree even when they went to tape, but it's pretty well petered out in the last couple of decades.  Even in the 1980s it was pretty rare.
[/quote]
That's also true in the land of late-night talk shows.  Once upon a time, I looked forward to the guest hosts that would turn up on The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson.  (This was before either Joan Rivers or Jay Leno became "regular" guest hosts.)  Nowadays, they just throw in a rerun, except in extraordinary circumstances.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2006, 11:49:42 AM »
Lynn Swann "guest hosted" a couple of days for Alex on the last week of TTTT91, though Lynn didn't know he would be billed as a guest host when he taped the shows.

In the late '80's Jamie Farr filled in for Tom Kennedy on "WordPlay" and Sally Struthers subbed for Vicki on WLD.  Monty was billed as "guest host" as well on the Orlando LMAD.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Ian Wallis

« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2006, 12:20:05 PM »
Add to that Jim Peck substituting on Joker's Wild fairly frequently.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

colonial

« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2006, 12:54:31 PM »
Maybe I'm off the mark, but I have a feeling WWTBAM is going to make a hard push to get Jeff Probst to host a week of shows.

Probst's name was mentioned as a potential host of daytime WWTBAM before the show premiered, and he's a regular sub host for Regis on *Live*.  Depending on when the next *Survivor* tapes, he may be available to tape five shows.

As far as Regis goes, I have a funny feeling WWTBAM will have a better shot getting Kelly Ripa than Philbin.

Anyone know how many weeks of shows will be targeted by this?

James

Don Howard

« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2006, 02:12:18 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' post=\'134971\' date=\'Oct 19 2006, 11:49 AM\']
In the late '80's Jamie Farr filled in for Tom Kennedy on "WordPlay" [/quote]
And he was awful. Mercy, was he awful.
All those shows he played on where he'd say, "Let ME host this. I can do this".
Wrong! You were putrid. Hear me? And you were putrid when you hosted the Ohio Lottery anniversary special. It was so obvious you were reading from cards I quickly longed for the good old days of Gib Shanley before he started burning flags. Answer me, Farr! You! Can't! Host!
Did Jm. J. guest host The New Hollywood Squares before or after the Shadoe Stevens week (when Howard Stern was guest announcer and hit on Dr. Joyce Brothers)?

tvwxman

« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2006, 02:14:46 PM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' post=\'135006\' date=\'Oct 19 2006, 02:12 PM\']
In the late '80's Jamie Farr filled in for Tom Kennedy on "WordPlay" [/quote]
And he was awful. Mercy, was he awful.
All those shows he played on where he'd say, "Let ME host this. I can do this".
Wrong! You were putrid. Hear me? And you were putrid when you hosted the Ohio Lottery anniversary special. It was so obvious you were reading from cards I quickly longed for the good old days of Gib Shanley before he started burning flags. Answer me, Farr! You! Can't! Host!
Did Jm. J. guest host The New Hollywood Squares before or after the Shadoe Stevens week (when Howard Stern was guest announcer and hit on Dr. Joyce Brothers)?
[/quote]
Around the same time, Farr was on "Game Show Host Week" on Scrabble...he was introduced as the host of "Double Up"..... which never saw the light of day... to this day, I can't help but wonder if his run as guest host on WordPlay didn't put the nail in that coffin....
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

tvwxman

« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2006, 02:16:21 PM »
Lynn Swann "guest hosted" a couple of days for Alex on the last week of TTTT91, though Lynn didn't know he would be billed as a guest host when he taped the shows.
[/quote]
Weren't those reruns? And if not, how did you know Lynn didn't know...was he upset about it ?
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

Don Howard

« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2006, 02:19:29 PM »
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' post=\'135009\' date=\'Oct 19 2006, 02:16 PM\']
[/quote]
Weren't those reruns? And if not, how did you know Lynn didn't know...was he upset about it ?
[/quote]
Those were shows which were pre-empted in early 1991 because of NBC News' special coverage of the crisis in Iraq. With cancellation looming, those babies got burned off days before being replaced by repeats of an ABC sitcom.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2006, 02:19:53 PM by Don Howard »

aaron sica

« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2006, 02:21:22 PM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' post=\'135011\' date=\'Oct 19 2006, 02:19 PM\']
Those were shows which were pre-empted in early 1991 because of NBC News' special coverage of the crisis in Iraq. With cancellation looming, those babies got burned off days before being replaced by repeats of an ABC sitcom.
[/quote]

I would love to know how it happened that NBC decided they would run reruns of a sitcom from a competing network.

TimK2003

« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2006, 02:26:26 PM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' post=\'134950\' date=\'Oct 19 2006, 07:35 AM\']
[quote name=\'Jimmy Fiono Coyne\' post=\'134873\' date=\'Oct 18 2006, 03:49 PM\']
My money's on Rosie O'Donnell being among the guest hosts.
[/quote]
If so, I hope I'm a contestant on that day cuz she'd see to it that I got all the money anyway plus a brand new car.
[/quote]

If Oprah hosted, I'd want to be sitting in on the taping because she'd give everybody in the AUDIENCE a new car as well, plus some cash!!!

Don Howard

« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2006, 02:33:16 PM »
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' post=\'135008\' date=\'Oct 19 2006, 02:14 PM\']
Around the same time, Farr was on "Game Show Host Week" on Scrabble...he was introduced as the host of "Double Up"..... which never saw the light of day[/quote]
That was odd to me also. Even if it had sold, the show was at least ten months away from premiering. And Bill Rafferty was introduced as "from Card Sharks" which no doubt confused people who didn't think Bill looked anything like Bob Eubanks. The Jim Lange/Jeff MacGregor match-up could've been plugged as the battle of the Dating Game hosts, but there was only time for one word between the two of them before the Speedword sounder was activated. There wasn't even a mention of Jim's Dating Game connection. His intro only mentioned the recently discontinued $1,000,000 Chance Of A Lifetime.
And, yes, I do realize that Charlie Tuna was simply reading from the copy provided.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2006, 03:09:54 PM by Don Howard »

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2006, 03:00:25 PM »
There was a NBC Saturday game show titled "Double Up," but was hosted by J.D. Roth.

As far as "Full House" on NBC, it was set to go to local syndication that fall, so Warner Bros. managed to squeeze a few dollars out of it that summer.  The definition of humbling would be to be replaced by reruns and humiliation reruns of another network's show.  Well, at least it starred a future NBC game show host. :)

However, NBC running daytime repeats of another network's primetime show has one precedent that I can think of, "Make Room for Daddy," which was on CBS first run while on NBC in the daytime.  That might have been because NBC Films had obtained the syndication rights and had them until the Justice dept forced the networks out of the syndication business in the early '70's.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Don Howard

« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2006, 03:17:54 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' post=\'135021\' date=\'Oct 19 2006, 03:00 PM\']
However, NBC running daytime repeats of another network's primetime show has one precedent that I can think of, "Make Room for Daddy," which was on CBS first run while on NBC in the daytime. [/quote]
In late night, while Quincy, M.E. was in its final season on NBC, reruns were shown weekly on The CBS Late Night Movie. Likewise, as the final season rolled for Police Woman on NBC, encore editions of previous seasons' eppys were being presented once a week on ABC Late Night.
Kinda sorta back to topic, anyone know the insanity behind Jimmie Walker's guest-hosting stint on Matchmaker? I recall one show from that substitution period. On the screen it said Matchmaker Starring Jimmy Walker (which I deduce to be an incorrect spelling of King Dyn-O-Mite's first name). Upon being introduced by Bill Armstrong, Jimmy/Jimmie entered the stage by spinning around and around and around, like a human wheel of fortune. I dismissed it all as a bad dream and mercifully, Dave Hull was back the following week.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2006, 03:18:40 PM by Don Howard »

sshuffield70

« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2006, 03:27:01 PM »
[quote name=\'colonial\' post=\'134994\' date=\'Oct 19 2006, 12:54 PM\']
Maybe I'm off the mark, but I have a feeling WWTBAM is going to make a hard push to get Jeff Probst to host a week of shows.

Probst's name was mentioned as a potential host of daytime WWTBAM before the show premiered, and he's a regular sub host for Regis on *Live*.  Depending on when the next *Survivor* tapes, he may be available to tape five shows.

As far as Regis goes, I have a funny feeling WWTBAM will have a better shot getting Kelly Ripa than Philbin.

Anyone know how many weeks of shows will be targeted by this?

James
[/quote]

While I know he guests on "Live" occasionally, I think more people see Probst as Alex's replacement.

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2006, 03:29:53 PM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' post=\'135016\' date=\'Oct 19 2006, 01:33 PM\']
And Bill Rafferty was introduced as "from Card Sharks" which no doubt confused people who didn't think Bill looked anything like Bob Eubanks. [/quote]

At the time, there was no other reason Rafferty qualified, as his version of BLOCKBUSTERS got canned 4+ months earlier.

Come to think of it, his version of CS also bit it right around that time.

So why exactly was he booked?  Jim Perry wasn't available?

/Yes, I realize Tomarken was also booked, and PYL had been cancelled a year earlier.

Doug
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)