Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: A new "PDQ" home game...?  (Read 2459 times)

SamJ93

A new "PDQ" home game...?
« on: October 23, 2006, 07:24:55 PM »
For those of you who are fans of this little gem...

Spurred on by the "PDQ" clip on Jamie's site, I decided to try and find the home game on Ebay.  Didn't find any copies of the original, but my searching eventually led me to this...

The description sure sounds similar.  The rules (contained in the PDF file on the site) do not, but I imagine it would be fairly easy to devise rules that are more like the show.  The game seems aimed at kids, but I enjoyed the clip enough that I would consider getting the game myself.

Anyone else happen to have the game by some random chance?

--Sam
It's a well-known fact that Lincoln loved mayonnaise!

itiparanoid13

« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2006, 07:29:52 PM »
You know, I've seen PDQ on POC a few times, and I really love the game.  It's a ton of fun.  I sorta wish someone would revive it for today's times, but it's one of those things that you know will probably not happen.  Then again, I'd never think "Child's Play" would be renewed and I never thought a bank offer could be a pony.

davemackey

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2006, 09:18:54 PM »
Merrill Heatter, call your lawyer...

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2006, 11:01:01 PM »
[quote name=\'SamJ93\' post=\'135408\' date=\'Oct 23 2006, 07:24 PM\']The description sure sounds similar.  The rules (contained in the PDF file on the site) do not, but I imagine it would be fairly easy to devise rules that are more like the show.  The game seems aimed at kids, but I enjoyed the clip enough that I would consider getting the game myself. [/quote]
The description sounds very similar, but it's also real easy to chalk it up to a wild coincidence.

I wonder, though, why you'd want to pick up your own copy.  If you're going to play by your own rules anyway, it seems as though you could also just as easily cut up some index cards and draw letters on them.  Wanna look more professional? Print the letters on the heaviest card stock your printer can handle, and cut them up.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

SamJ93

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2006, 11:35:01 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'135427\' date=\'Oct 23 2006, 11:01 PM\']
The description sounds very similar, but it's also real easy to chalk it up to a wild coincidence.

I wonder, though, why you'd want to pick up your own copy.  If you're going to play by your own rules anyway, it seems as though you could also just as easily cut up some index cards and draw letters on them.  Wanna look more professional? Print the letters on the heaviest card stock your printer can handle, and cut them up.
[/quote]

True, Matt, true.  Actually, after posting this message, I realized that the 1975 "Wheel of Fortune" game that I have would adapt quite well, too. :-)

--Sam
It's a well-known fact that Lincoln loved mayonnaise!

alfonzos

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2006, 03:23:07 PM »
It looks as if TV's PDQ bonus round is very similar to the gameplay of Gamewright's PDQ. The difference being the word was generated first and the three letters determined on the TV show whereas the card game generates the three letters first and then the word is determined later.

Both games are listed on Boardgame Geek and while the home game is unrated, the Gamewright game is given an slightly above average rating. Gamewright's PDQ on Boardgame Geek

BTW, while you are on the BGG check out how what few home games are listed fare.
A Cliff Saber Production
email address: alfonzos@aol.com
Boardgame Geek user name: alfonzos

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2006, 08:28:19 PM »
This actually sounds like a game from Germany, "Word Whiz." Three consonant cards are dealt, and players race to come up with a word containing those consonants in any order. Players score a point for each vowel in that word. Sounds easy so far, but players can't score a word if it would push their score for that vowel over the limit. Which means the game goes from a frenzy of scoring in the early rounds to a tense battle at the end to score the exact number of vowels necessary to go out.
Travis L. Eberle