Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Bob Barker Retiring  (Read 57700 times)

cweaver

Bob Barker Retiring
« Reply #120 on: November 01, 2006, 09:31:39 AM »
[quote name=\'Craig Karlberg\' post=\'136409\' date=\'Nov 1 2006, 05:41 AM\']
Here's a brief list of the major events in history during his time on TPIR (Dixon edited the list for the reply):

Vietnam
Watergate
Nixon's resignation
52 American hostages in Iran
Operation Desert Shield & Storm
Sep 11, 2001
The Iraq war[/quote]

There were a few others that bear mentioning, including the Iran Contra scandal of the late 1980s, the space program in general (Skylab, Shuttle, Challenger disaster), the fall of the Communist Bloc and the Berlin Wall, and the Lewinsky scandal/Clinton impeachment and trial.  The reason I'm bringing them up is because these, along with the list items I transferred over from above, at one point or another actually pre-empted TPiR on CBS.  The real world that intrudes on our pasttime so much has changed a lot for sure.  

I have a studio-mode video recording somewhere of my anchoring breaking news coverage locally, of the end of a two-week standoff with inmates at the Talladega Federal Correctional Facility in Alabama.  The tape reveals that on one of my break-ins we cut into the Showcase Showdown.

TimK2003

Bob Barker Retiring
« Reply #121 on: November 01, 2006, 09:54:53 AM »
[quote name=\'Craig Karlberg\' post=\'136409\' date=\'Nov 1 2006, 05:41 AM\']
Here's a breif list of the major events in history during his time on TPIR:

Vietnam
Watergate
Nixon's resignation
Elvis' death
52 American hostages in Iran
Ronald Regan's near-assasination
243 Marines killed in Lebanon(on my birthday, YUCK!)
Black Monday in 1987
Operation Dessert Sheild & Storm
The Northridge earthquake
Sep 11, 2001
The Iraq war

[/quote]

What can REALLY make you feel old?  If you were born the day Barker's TPiR premiered, and you are one  where you get married and start having kids at a young age (16 or 17) and your kids do the same, you now have three different generations that were born during the Barker TPiR era.

DoorNumberFour

• ChristianCarrion.com
Bob Barker Retiring
« Reply #122 on: November 01, 2006, 10:05:50 AM »
Personally, I think John O'Hurley would be perfect for TPiR.

Probably just a fantasy, but a man can dream.
Digital Media Producer, National Archives of Game Show History
"Tell Us About Yourself: Conversations with Game Show Contestants" available on all streaming services
christian@christiancarrion.com

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Bob Barker Retiring
« Reply #123 on: November 01, 2006, 10:06:21 AM »
My "wow" remark was not one of awe. Where else would world events be gauged in the context of the career of a game show emcee?

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Bob Barker Retiring
« Reply #124 on: November 01, 2006, 10:11:20 AM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'136417\' date=\'Nov 1 2006, 04:34 AM\']
The word "wow" does not begin to do this post justice.

Hon, you forgot the explosion of space shuttle Challenger, the AIDS epidemic, and the passing of Mark Goodson.
[/quote]
My favorite part was where the Northridge earthquake trumped Loma Prieta in 1989, which only interrupted the freakin' World Series. Which is not to marginalize the Northridge one, but...

...oh, forget it; consider the source.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
Bob Barker Retiring
« Reply #125 on: November 01, 2006, 10:18:15 AM »
[quote name=\'Card Shark\' post=\'136415\' date=\'Nov 1 2006, 06:06 AM\']
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' post=\'136210\' date=\'Oct 31 2006, 01:56 PM\']
A highly trusted source told me this afternoon that Bob Barker will
be retiring as host of The Price Is Right at season's end.
The press will be told later today.
You know my history. I would not lie to you. That is all.
[/quote]

Drat, you beat me to it. I was just watching the opening teasers for the Today show and they said the same thing. You are certainly not lying.
[/quote]
Adam, look at the date and time Don posted (roughly 17 hours earlier).  If you're just watching today's TODAY show and getting the news for the first time, he's done more than beat you to it.

Doug -- and the countdown to 2400 continues
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

SRIV94

Bob Barker Retiring
« Reply #126 on: November 01, 2006, 10:21:53 AM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' post=\'136426\' date=\'Nov 1 2006, 08:12 AM\']
I'll admit I haven't seen the season's last show in quite a while...do they usually mention something about it, or just quiety slip into rerun season?
[/quote]
They usually quietly slip into rerun season.

Barker sometimes would hint about the end of the season whenever "Hole In One" was played, mentioning it was the last inspiration putt.  Sometimes he'd say something like, "We're approaching the end of the season, but you'd never know it because we keep on taping."

Doug
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

clemon79

Bob Barker Retiring
« Reply #127 on: November 01, 2006, 11:03:36 AM »
[quote name=\'cweaver\' post=\'136427\' date=\'Nov 1 2006, 06:31 AM\']
I have a studio-mode video recording somewhere of my anchoring breaking news coverage locally, of the end of a two-week standoff with inmates at the Talladega Federal Correctional Facility in Alabama.  The tape reveals that on one of my break-ins we cut into the Showcase Showdown.
[/quote]
...and with that, Thad Dixon just declared a jihad. :)

aaron sica

Bob Barker Retiring
« Reply #128 on: November 01, 2006, 11:29:55 AM »
[quote name=\'cweaver\' post=\'136427\' date=\'Nov 1 2006, 09:31 AM\']
There were a few others that bear mentioning, including the Iran Contra scandal of the late 1980s,  
[/quote]

I didn't really follow the news  then, as I was about 12 1/2 and not really very interested in it - I do remember, however, the Iran/Contra scandal messing up CBS's schedule that summer; for some reason, they saw it fit to air $25,000 Pyramid in the early afternoon for some reason - not sure if it was filler because there was a "recess" in the coverage or what, but I always wondered why. Additionally, did TPiR (to keep it tied to the thread), ever get an afternoon showing that summer?

booboo

Bob Barker Retiring
« Reply #129 on: November 01, 2006, 11:40:43 AM »
The only halfway decent show still on the air in the mornings today, now if we want entertainment during the day i guess we'll have to watch Jerry Springer. I know it's not being cancelled but is might as well be.

It's not going to last long at all without him only because it won't be the same, and you all know that.!!!

SRIV94

Bob Barker Retiring
« Reply #130 on: November 01, 2006, 11:59:05 AM »
[quote name=\'booboo\' post=\'136444\' date=\'Nov 1 2006, 10:40 AM\']
The only halfway decent show still on the air in the mornings today, now if we want entertainment during the day i guess we'll have to watch Jerry Springer. I know it's not being cancelled but is might as well be.

It's not going to last long at all without him only because it won't be the same, and you all know that.!!!
[/quote]

My turn.

Wow.

Doug

clemon79

Bob Barker Retiring
« Reply #131 on: November 01, 2006, 11:59:11 AM »
[quote name=\'booboo\' post=\'136444\' date=\'Nov 1 2006, 08:40 AM\']
[/quote]
Christ.

(He may be right. But...christ.)

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
Bob Barker Retiring
« Reply #132 on: November 01, 2006, 12:25:23 PM »
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' post=\'136437\' date=\'Nov 1 2006, 10:21 AM\']
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' post=\'136426\' date=\'Nov 1 2006, 08:12 AM\']
I'll admit I haven't seen the season's last show in quite a while...do they usually mention something about it, or just quiety slip into rerun season?
[/quote]
They usually quietly slip into rerun season.

Barker sometimes would hint about the end of the season whenever "Hole In One" was played, mentioning it was the last inspiration putt.  Sometimes he'd say something like, "We're approaching the end of the season, but you'd never know it because we keep on taping."[/quote]

And they do, too.  You may this already, but as soon as they tape the end of the season, they go right into the premiere week shows (normally)

KDKA TV in Pittsburgh did a nice little story on this event (although they could've adjusted the tint) featuring some not-often-used clips and reports that possible successors are Star Jones (ugh!), David Hasselhoff (yuck!), and Chuck Woolery (I'd doubt it).
This signature is currently under construction.

kav

Bob Barker Retiring
« Reply #133 on: November 01, 2006, 12:25:53 PM »
I saw the headline on Yahoo News yesterday and it hit me like a ton of bricks.  I knew it was bound to happen, but I feel so sad knowing it's only 7 months away.

Bob's been on TV my whole life and it's going to be so strange not seeing him weekday mornings at 10 am.  TPiR was the first daytime show I ever watched, and I have so many great memories of Bob from different shows he's hosted/appeared on.

One positive thing is that Bob is going out on top and on his own terms.

booboo

Bob Barker Retiring
« Reply #134 on: November 01, 2006, 12:25:56 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'136449\' date=\'Nov 1 2006, 11:59 AM\']
[quote name=\'booboo\' post=\'136444\' date=\'Nov 1 2006, 08:40 AM\']
[/quote]
Christ.

(He may be right. But...christ.)
[/quote]

I only said it might as well be because it won't last long without him, because whether you're a die hard fan or a casual fan  it'll probably still be hard for ANYBODY to adjust, I know it'll be hard for me.