Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Bob Barker Retiring  (Read 57693 times)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Bob Barker Retiring
« Reply #165 on: November 01, 2006, 09:32:00 PM »
[quote name=\'mcsittel\' post=\'136521\' date=\'Nov 1 2006, 06:24 PM\']
So, what will they do with Barker's Bargain Bar and Barker's Markers?  Would they retire the games or change them to something like... Newton's Croutons, if Todd got the job?
[/quote]
I can't speak to the former, but the latter would most likely be renamed to "Make Your Mark". You know, exactly like they did when Doug Davidson was hosting the show...
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
Bob Barker Retiring
« Reply #166 on: November 01, 2006, 09:32:30 PM »
I could easily see them keeping those games' names to honor Bob.

As for a female host, there's nobody who's the right age I feel could do it well. Betty White is about the only person that comes to mind as a lady with decorum who could be in control on the set. Not to pick on her more than we already did, but a Ricki Lake or similar type would be wayyy too tied to the contestants (i.e. as excitable as them) and would look downright foolish and unprofessional celebrating with them.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

clemon79

Bob Barker Retiring
« Reply #167 on: November 01, 2006, 10:06:14 PM »
[quote name=\'JasonA1\' post=\'136525\' date=\'Nov 1 2006, 06:32 PM\']
I could easily see them keeping those games' names to honor Bob.
[/quote]
And while I'm sure the WGMC would be more than fine with that idea, to do that would be a HUGE insult to the new host.
Not to pick on her more than we already did, but a Ricki Lake or similar type would be wayyy too tied to the contestants (i.e. as excitable as them) and would look downright foolish and unprofessional celebrating with them.
One would hope that particular ship sailed as soon as she tried to "times" the Audience Match money by 50 on GSM.

/god, folks, get OVER it already.

inbidni

Bob Barker Retiring
« Reply #168 on: November 01, 2006, 10:45:19 PM »
(Edited for language. -DZ)

[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'136296\' date=\'Oct 31 2006, 05:21 PM\']

Afterthought: Barker's retirement could result in the promotion of Roger Dobkowitz to executive producer. There is no one more deserving. Roger is one of the last few people who "gets it" when it comes to doing game shows, and a terrific guy as well.
[/quote]

Wonder if Barker's retirement will cause Dob and/or Fingers to take an early retirement, or worse, Fremantle to s--tcan them like they did Janice and Kathleen and Paul Alter. Without Dob and Fingers, especially Dob, the show is, in my view, as good as done.  Fremantle could do worse than to coax Wolpert back, at least as a consultant.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2006, 10:52:09 PM by dzinkin »

Matt Ottinger

Bob Barker Retiring
« Reply #169 on: November 01, 2006, 11:16:43 PM »
[quote name=\'JasonA1\' post=\'136525\' date=\'Nov 1 2006, 09:32 PM\']As for a female host, there's nobody who's the right age I feel could do it well. Betty White is about the only person that comes to mind as a lady with decorum who could be in control on the set. [/quote]
I'm reasonably sure you weren't seriously suggesting her, but I think it bears mentioning that Betty White is older than Bob.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

rialtus

Bob Barker Retiring
« Reply #170 on: November 01, 2006, 11:25:09 PM »
Okay, so remember how "Rockstar: INXS" was a successful summer reality show to find a new front man for that band?

...   <Tom Lehrer>You're way ahead of me.</Tom Lehrer>

How long before CBS announces a summer reality show to find a new host for TPiR?

Matt Ottinger

Bob Barker Retiring
« Reply #171 on: November 01, 2006, 11:41:44 PM »
[quote name=\'rialtus\' post=\'136549\' date=\'Nov 1 2006, 11:25 PM\']How long before CBS announces a summer reality show to find a new host for TPiR?[/quote]
God help me, that actually gave me an idea about something they SHOULD do, and I've been deliberately staying out of the speculation game.  Damn you, rialtus!

They ought to have a number of different folks do on-air tryouts, starting at the beginning of the 36th season.  (Don't spoil Bob's Victory Lap.)  There's precedent: it's how The Late Late Show settled on Craig Ferguson, who wasn't officially named the host until months after Kilborn's last show.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

TimK2003

Bob Barker Retiring
« Reply #172 on: November 02, 2006, 12:15:35 AM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'136551\' date=\'Nov 2 2006, 12:41 AM\']
[quote name=\'rialtus\' post=\'136549\' date=\'Nov 1 2006, 11:25 PM\']How long before CBS announces a summer reality show to find a new host for TPiR?[/quote]
God help me, that actually gave me an idea about something they SHOULD do, and I've been deliberately staying out of the speculation game.  Damn you, rialtus!

They ought to have a number of different folks do on-air tryouts, starting at the beginning of the 36th season.  (Don't spoil Bob's Victory Lap.)  There's precedent: it's how The Late Late Show settled on Craig Ferguson, who wasn't officially named the host until months after Kilborn's last show.
[/quote]

I know they played Host Roulette for the Late Late Show, and they played Announcer Roulette not once, but TWICE on TPiR.  

But I think it might be a helluva lot trickier to have Emcee Roulette for TPiR.

Unless you open it up to only those who have hosted TPiR Live (and those on the Invision with hosting experience coughottingercough), I think it would really be hard to find 4 or 5 Price newbies, have them memorize rules and procedures to 60+ pricing games while having them interact with little or no cue card assistance and yet be convincing enough to the home audience that they should get the job.

Clay Zambo

Bob Barker Retiring
« Reply #173 on: November 02, 2006, 08:34:58 AM »
[quote name=\'TimK2003\' post=\'136561\' date=\'Nov 2 2006, 12:15 AM\']
Unless you open it up to only those who have hosted TPiR Live (and those on the Invision with hosting experience coughottingercough), I think it would really be hard to find 4 or 5 Price newbies, have them memorize rules and procedures to 60+ pricing games while having them interact with little or no cue card assistance and yet be convincing enough to the home audience that they should get the job.
[/quote]

Nope.  You don't need to do that.  You need to have them memorize rules and procedures to a game or two.  That's enough for an audition. The rest is homework.  But, hell, The Next Price Is Right Host would have, of course, challenges designed to test the homework: runthroughs of new pricing games, overexcitable contestants, etc.

If CBS doesn't want to run this as, at least, a summer replacement for Survivor: Munhall, Pennsylvania, it'd be the perfect way for GSN to renew relations with Fremantle.

That said, Matt--both Matts, come to think of it!--I'm so ready to speed-dial you to victory...
czambo@mac.com

tvrandywest

Bob Barker Retiring
« Reply #174 on: November 02, 2006, 09:51:44 AM »
OK kids, here's a drop of blood for the shark tank:

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/e...5p-393269c.html

No comment from me; simply passing along the link.

Randy
tvrandywest.com
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

Neumms

Bob Barker Retiring
« Reply #175 on: November 02, 2006, 11:36:56 AM »
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' post=\'136595\' date=\'Nov 2 2006, 09:51 AM\']

[/quote]

I saw that, then ran over here. Price was pretty good on "Good Day New York" with Jim Ryan, not that I saw too much of it. But if he's a favorite of Les Moonves, that can't bode well, given that the closest thing to a game show he's cast is "Big Brother" with his barely coherent now-wife.

If it happens, at least it's not Marc Summers.

Mike Tennant

Bob Barker Retiring
« Reply #176 on: November 02, 2006, 11:38:52 AM »

[/quote]
According to Marc Green at golden-road.net:

"I don’t have a complete story…just an outsider’s account…but I hear it from a trusted source that Dave was recently asked to host three runs of the TPiR Live Stage Show (not sure if we’re talking about the Vegas edition or the AC edition). The first show didn’t go all too well, to the point that line-by-line CUE CARDS were used for the second show. Apparently Dave never did the third show."

Jimmy Owen

Bob Barker Retiring
« Reply #177 on: November 02, 2006, 11:47:58 AM »
[quote name=\'Mike Tennant\' post=\'136613\' date=\'Nov 2 2006, 11:38 AM\']

[/quote]
According to Marc Green at golden-road.net:

"I don’t have a complete story…just an outsider’s account…but I hear it from a trusted source that Dave was recently asked to host three runs of the TPiR Live Stage Show (not sure if we’re talking about the Vegas edition or the AC edition). The first show didn’t go all too well, to the point that line-by-line CUE CARDS were used for the second show. Apparently Dave never did the third show."
[/quote]

That probably won't matter too much on TV, they can do much of the show in post.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

clemon79

Bob Barker Retiring
« Reply #178 on: November 02, 2006, 11:54:42 AM »
[quote name=\'Neumms\' post=\'136611\' date=\'Nov 2 2006, 08:36 AM\']
[/quote]
I don't think Marc Summers would be a bad candidate at all, actually. Why do you say that? Wouldn't you rather have a real game-show host than this manufactured CBS Golden Boy?

Neumms

Bob Barker Retiring
« Reply #179 on: November 02, 2006, 12:07:38 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'136619\' date=\'Nov 2 2006, 11:54 AM\']
[quote name=\'Neumms\' post=\'136611\' date=\'Nov 2 2006, 08:36 AM\']
[/quote]
I don't think Marc Summers would be a bad candidate at all, actually. Why do you say that? Wouldn't you rather have a real game-show host than this manufactured CBS Golden Boy?
[/quote]

Summers was about the worst I've seen, at least of hosts who've done more than one show, at interacting with contestants. He's a cold fish. If a contestant on "History IQ" said "I procure uranium for a leading southeast Asian dictatorship, I'm married to an exotic dancer and my parents were Adolf Hitler and Eva Braun," Summers' answer would be, "It's great to have you here. Let's start the game!"

Not that I'm wild about Dave Price, but I can imagine him doing okay with the audience. (The TPIR Live reports not withstanding.)
« Last Edit: November 02, 2006, 12:08:04 PM by Neumms »