Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Bob Barker Retiring  (Read 55876 times)

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
Bob Barker Retiring
« Reply #210 on: November 03, 2006, 10:06:20 AM »
[quote name=\'MyCapableAssistant\' post=\'136739\' date=\'Nov 3 2006, 01:14 AM\']

{Snipped for space considerations}

Now of course if RICH FIELDS became the EM CEE, we'd have..
"Rich's - - um... Witches" YEAH.. WITCHES.. that's the ticket!
(or something close!) ...
[/quote]

[quote name=\'toddyo\' post=\'136743\' date=\'Nov 3 2006, 08:57 AM\']
Any word on whether Yolanda will make an appearance on the last Bob episode?
[/quote]

Both of you get a wow.

Doug -- and the countdown to 2400 continues
« Last Edit: November 03, 2006, 10:08:53 AM by SRIV94 »
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

LetsGoMets2003

Bob Barker Retiring
« Reply #211 on: November 03, 2006, 12:56:41 PM »
I cast my vote for Marc Summers as well, and it's not just because I was lucky enough to interview the man two years ago for my high school paper. As others have said, while senior citizens may not know him, he certainly is extremely popular with the 18-35 group for his DD stint, he knows how to tame a bunch of riled up people and when to whip them into a frenzy, he's personable, he's only turning 55 this month (in contrast, Barker started hosting "Price" when he was 49), he has handled both straight Q&A and stunt shows, he's hosted the "Price" stage show, and perhaps most importantly, he knew the pacing of the shows he hosted and the many stunts and obstacles on DD backwards and forwards, and he was doing that while he was secretly suffering from an anxiety disorder. If there is a better candidate with a greater game show pedigree who could concievably host this show for another three decades that is still among us, please tell me. That's why the man should get this job. Now watch as they pick a comedian.

(Gets off soapbox)

James

cweaver

Bob Barker Retiring
« Reply #212 on: November 03, 2006, 01:00:19 PM »
[quote name=\'LetsGoMets2003\' post=\'136755\' date=\'Nov 3 2006, 01:56 PM\']
As others have said, while senior citizens may not know him, he certainly is extremely popular with the 18-35 group for his DD stint, he knows how to tame a bunch of riled up people and when to whip them into a frenzy, he's personable, he's only turning 55 this month (in contrast, Barker started hosting "Price" when he was 49)
[/quote]

I have to say, Marc Summers really looks good on paper if you want to sell an established veteran to a young demographic (who grew up watching DD).  Whether he can do it well is another story.

LetsGoMets2003

Bob Barker Retiring
« Reply #213 on: November 03, 2006, 01:16:16 PM »
[quote name=\'cweaver\' post=\'136757\' date=\'Nov 3 2006, 02:00 PM\']
I have to say, Marc Summers really looks good on paper if you want to sell an established veteran to a young demographic (who grew up watching DD).  Whether he can do it well is another story.
[/quote]

Dixon, I don't disagree, that is another story, I was just basing my pick on past experience. If any of you are wondering, the good news (when I talked to him) was he was off all of his OCD medications and feeling great. A question for Randy or anyone else here - how was Marc as an emcee when he hosted "Price LIVE!"?

James
« Last Edit: November 03, 2006, 01:17:50 PM by LetsGoMets2003 »

mparrish11

• Marriage is the leading cause of divorce.
Bob Barker Retiring
« Reply #214 on: November 03, 2006, 02:56:31 PM »
Personally, I'd be happy to see either Todd Newton or Marc Summers as the emcee.  They are both exceptional and would have no trouble, IMHO, keeping the flow of program and being as personable as Bob.
--Matt

DoorNumberFour

• ChristianCarrion.com
Bob Barker Retiring
« Reply #215 on: November 03, 2006, 02:58:01 PM »
[quote name=\'gsgalaxy82\' post=\'136672\' date=\'Nov 2 2006, 04:00 PM\']
To me there's only one candidate: John O'Hurley. But that's just my opinion.

David
[/quote]

I absolutely agree.

I think John has the charm and the style to pull it off.

Even on Seinfeld, he reminded me of Bob Barker with a more powerful voice.
Digital Media Producer, National Archives of Game Show History
"Tell Us About Yourself: Conversations with Game Show Contestants" available on all streaming services
christian@christiancarrion.com

gsgalaxy82

Bob Barker Retiring
« Reply #216 on: November 03, 2006, 03:54:43 PM »
[quote name=\'DoorNumberFour\' post=\'136771\' date=\'Nov 3 2006, 02:58 PM\']
[quote name=\'gsgalaxy82\' post=\'136672\' date=\'Nov 2 2006, 04:00 PM\']
To me there's only one candidate: John O'Hurley. But that's just my opinion.

David
[/quote]

I absolutely agree.

I think John has the charm and the style to pull it off.

Even on Seinfeld, he reminded me of Bob Barker with a more powerful voice.
[/quote]

Even before Feud, he was the guy I wanted to take over TPIR (from his work on Truth). He seems like the type of host who would love to do Price and over time, woud become a great emcee of Price (he'd be great to begin with, but it's one of those things that takes time with Price). With Feud struggling in the ratings, I think it only makes sense for him to take over Price. It's not his fault Feud is getting bad ratings, it's been on a long time and has never had a huge audience. It makes perfect sense, especially if Feud is cancelled. I don't know if John has a multi-year contract with Fremantle, but Fremantle would be able to use someone already under contract. Plus, he's a fairly big name and hopefully people could accept him. Ok, rant over. Continue.

David

cweaver

Bob Barker Retiring
« Reply #217 on: November 03, 2006, 05:41:43 PM »
[quote name=\'LetsGoMets2003\' post=\'136760\' date=\'Nov 3 2006, 02:16 PM\']
Dixon, I don't disagree, that is another story, I was just basing my pick on past experience. If any of you are wondering, the good news (when I talked to him) was he was off all of his OCD medications and feeling great. A question for Randy or anyone else here - how was Marc as an emcee when he hosted "Price LIVE!"?
[/quote]

...and I should make clear that by saying "another story" I meant I was reserving judgment, not that I have no confidence in his ability to host the show.  I'm actually leaning toward John O'Hurley, who I could see teasing the contestants the same way Bob always did and with the same charming results.  But I could probably live with Marc in that gig.

SteveR

Bob Barker Retiring
« Reply #218 on: November 03, 2006, 05:53:54 PM »
Weren't there times during MC Weeks on the old network game shows where Summers would step in as host to let the show's host be a player for a day?

Darn if I can't deliver an exact example, but I'm certain he did.

tpirfan28

Bob Barker Retiring
« Reply #219 on: November 03, 2006, 06:12:32 PM »
[quote name=\'SteveR\' post=\'136790\' date=\'Nov 3 2006, 05:53 PM\']
Weren't there times during MC Weeks on the old network game shows where Summers would step in as host to let the show's host be a player for a day?

Darn if I can't deliver an exact example, but I'm certain he did.
[/quote]
Scrabble immediately comes to mind.  And from the brief clip I saw on YouTube...he did good (or well...I'm not an English major!).
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

Speedy G

Bob Barker Retiring
« Reply #220 on: November 03, 2006, 07:48:33 PM »
In the "yet another two cents" category, Jimmy Pardo was on the Bob and Tom radio show this morning.  He mentioned:

A) Having been at Game Show Congress, and a fan walking up to him just to tell him his hosting job was "adequate" on Funny Money
B) The rumors about this Dave Price fellow who's a weatherman
C) His vote for Barker's replacement: "rootin' tootin' Todd Newton"

As for Marc Summers (and my two cents), I'm thinking that he'll stick to his gigs at the Food Network from now through infinity.  I would absolutely love to be surprised.
Solar-powered flashlight, hour 4 of the Today show, the Purple Parrots.  *rips open envelope, blows into it*

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Bob Barker Retiring
« Reply #221 on: November 03, 2006, 07:54:53 PM »
[quote name=\'Speedy G\' post=\'136818\' date=\'Nov 3 2006, 04:48 PM\']
A) Having been at Game Show Congress, and a fan walking up to him just to tell him his hosting job was "adequate" on Funny Money
[/quote]
And I'm guessing that's the highest praise he got. :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

BrandonFG

Bob Barker Retiring
« Reply #222 on: November 03, 2006, 07:59:48 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'136819\' date=\'Nov 3 2006, 07:54 PM\']
[quote name=\'Speedy G\' post=\'136818\' date=\'Nov 3 2006, 04:48 PM\']
[/quote]
And I'm guessing that's the highest praise he got. :)
[/quote]
Considering how bad the show was, that's a high compliment.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

johnnya2k3

Bob Barker Retiring
« Reply #223 on: November 03, 2006, 08:58:29 PM »
[quote name=\'GS Warehouse\' post=\'136677\' date=\'Nov 2 2006, 12:43 PM\']
How about Ryan Seacrest?  He's currently employed by Fremantle...and everybody else, for that matter.  Or, how about a dark horse that currently works for CBS and is known and loved on this group.  That's right, I can only be talking about...

...wait for it...

...wait for it...

Pat O'Brien!
[/quote]
Or, if they could go across town to NBC in Burbank....

Anybody from "Access Hollywood"!!!! (except for Billy Bush; see LMAD 2003)

But seriously...Seacrest would be the deathblow to TPIR. Todd Newton seems to be the right fit as the next Barker.

Jonathan Allen

Matt Ottinger

Bob Barker Retiring
« Reply #224 on: November 03, 2006, 10:14:32 PM »
[quote name=\'Speedy G\' post=\'136818\' date=\'Nov 3 2006, 07:48 PM\']
In the "yet another two cents" category, Jimmy Pardo was on the Bob and Tom radio show this morning.  He mentioned:
A) Having been at Game Show Congress, [/quote]
Really?  Does anyone who was at the Congress remember this?  I never heard he was there.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.