Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Bob Barker Retiring  (Read 57707 times)

tvwxman

Bob Barker Retiring
« Reply #90 on: October 31, 2006, 09:09:19 PM »
[quote name=\'tpirfan28\' post=\'136338\' date=\'Oct 31 2006, 08:08 PM\']
Just because I see things in more of a grim light than you doesn't give you free reign to go all crazy on me.
[/quote]

88 Posts on the retirement of the guy, and one about how he might die.  Geez.

Everyone else is celebrating his tenure , whether or not they think he really is the WGMC or some hack who shouldn't be employed. NO ONE else is talking about death, except you. And I for one, right now , talking about Bob Barker, and not about the others in my life who have survived and died from health problems, find that inappropiate.
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

Terry K

Bob Barker Retiring
« Reply #91 on: October 31, 2006, 09:15:10 PM »
Considering Bob will be in town (Springfield, MO) a couple weeks before his last taping to speak to his old university, Drury and their graduating class (and get an honourary doctorate I believe), I may get one more chance to see the legend.

I have 3 TPIRs under my belt (including one MDS), I'm glad I got to go as often as I did.  It was truly an experience, and one I'll never forget.

Thanks for being a part of our lives for longer than many of us have been alive, Bob.

GS Warehouse

Bob Barker Retiring
« Reply #92 on: October 31, 2006, 09:26:35 PM »
Ever since I initially scoffed at the news of Gene Rayburn's death back in 1999, thinking it was a troll post, I've needed to see a story like this posted to two different sources before I consider it true.  Although I'm counting MSNBC and Yahoo! as one because they used the same article from AP, but we've seen enough links in this thread now, including some [Reali]inside information[/Reali].  But as if there aren't enough sources posted already, here's the word from Zap2it.

To be honest, having spent most of the afternoon watching the two Scooby-Doo movies* in honor of Halloween, among other duties on and off the web, I didn't get back here until about 9:00pm.  It was just before 5:00pm when I first saw the story at Yahoo!, so I knew it had to be true.  Still, I was surprised.

* ObTPiR: Linda Cardellini, who played Velma, was a contestant in 1997.

chad1m

Bob Barker Retiring
« Reply #93 on: October 31, 2006, 09:33:16 PM »
As of right now on Yahoo! Entertainment News , someone throwing a drink at Streisand in concert is consider "more newsworthy" than Bob retiring.

/shakes head disapprovingly
« Last Edit: October 31, 2006, 09:33:25 PM by chad1m »

dzinkin

Bob Barker Retiring
« Reply #94 on: October 31, 2006, 09:35:13 PM »
[quote name=\'tpirfan28\' post=\'136338\' date=\'Oct 31 2006, 08:08 PM\']
Just because I see things in more of a grim light than you doesn't give you free reign to go all crazy on me.
[/quote]
No, but it does give them the right to point out that your post was grossly inappropriate.  This is a time to celebrate Bob's career, not dwell on the possibility that he might die before his chosen retirement date.

I'm just glad that I was able to see the show in person last May.

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
Bob Barker Retiring
« Reply #95 on: October 31, 2006, 09:46:18 PM »
[quote name=\'GS Warehouse\' post=\'136356\' date=\'Oct 31 2006, 08:26 PM\']
But as if there aren't enough sources posted already, here's the word from Zap2it.
[/quote]
Flattering photo, isn't it?

[quote name=\'GS Warehouse\' post=\'136356\' date=\'Oct 31 2006, 08:26 PM\']* ObTPiR: Linda Cardellini, who played Velma, was a contestant in 1997.[/quote]

Me likey.

Doug -- and the countdown to 2400 continues
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

GSmaniac

Bob Barker Retiring
« Reply #96 on: October 31, 2006, 09:56:25 PM »
Bob, have a wonderful retirement and thank you for all the entertainment you have have brought all of America over 50 years.
You will be missed.

MikeK

• Martha!
Bob Barker Retiring
« Reply #97 on: October 31, 2006, 10:09:19 PM »
[quote name=\'chad1m\' post=\'136359\' date=\'Oct 31 2006, 09:33 PM\']As of right now on Yahoo! Entertainment News , someone throwing a drink at Streisand in concert is consider "more newsworthy" than Bob retiring.[/quote]
The person missed?  Damn.

The final show tapes on June 7.  My school year ends on June 5.  Tempting...

rialtus

Bob Barker Retiring
« Reply #98 on: October 31, 2006, 10:14:49 PM »
[quote name=\'GS Warehouse\' post=\'136356\' date=\'Oct 31 2006, 09:26 PM\']Ever since I initially scoffed at the news of Gene Rayburn's death back in 1999, thinking it was a troll post, I've needed to see a story like this posted to two different sources before I consider it true.  Although I'm counting MSNBC and Yahoo! as one because they used the same article from AP, but we've seen enough links in this thread now, including some [Reali]inside information[/Reali]. [/quote]Then how about this -- CBS2 in Los Angeles had an intereview with Bob Barker on their 5 pm news cast where Bob Barker himself talks about his retirement.

rebelwrest

Bob Barker Retiring
« Reply #99 on: October 31, 2006, 10:50:01 PM »
I remember all of those sick & snow days in which I would be in my room wondering how to fill the day after filling up with cough syrup.  I remember days in which our television would only get 15 channels including cable (mind that I am 22 years old), and even in the 200 channel universe, my choice will still be the same for what the television would be tuned to at 11AM EST on weekdays, the local CBS affiliate.  Think about how our viewing patterns have changed because of cable and syndication.  In a world of shorten attention spans and gimmicks beyond taste, can any show other than the news can claim that they have kept viewers from turning the channel to another show for 35 years.  Mr. Barker, you have earned your right to exit stage left in ablaze of glory following 50 years in television.  Hopefully as with probably a lot of people did today and will probably do tomorrow, they will try to see you in person before the last utterance of "help control the pet population, have your pet spayed or neutered".  Mr. Barker, get ready for one of the biggest cheers of admiration you will ever hear, and you will have completely deserved it.  Thank you Mr. Barker and hopefully, see you at the show.
My favorite Win Ben Stein's Money Category:

Where Am I Doc? Urinalysis Restaurant.

TheInquisitiveOne

Bob Barker Retiring
« Reply #100 on: October 31, 2006, 10:56:49 PM »
I've been lurking in this forum for months now, and reading this news MADE me come back to speak my mind on this.

As everyone else has stated, the day was inevitable, but it still hits like a ton of bricks. I found out about this while I was at the gym. ET was on one of the screens, and I read the closed captioning, saying he will retire by season's end and that he will be on tomorrow's show to talk about it. To say the least, I am heartbroken.

The Price is Right is one of the shows that I grew up on. Seeing Bob and crazy contestants, colorful sets, clangs and claxons, really started my morning right. I'll be honest in this opinion...The Price is Right without Bob Barker is NOT The Price is Right to me....I will try to watch season 36 with an open mind.

The timing is right...his 35th anniversary on the show and his 50th year on television...that is a good time to go out.

Will this be the end of game shows? I do not think so, but when the leading member of the old guard steps down...it tends to make you think. Bob, you will be missed. Thanks for being an influence to my television career, my life, and to television in general. May the rest of your years be in happiness and Joy. God bless.

The Inquisitive One

P.S. Thankfully, I have relatives in L.A. What can I do to try to squeeze in one last taping? I appreciate those responses.
This is the Way.

Jimmy Owen

Bob Barker Retiring
« Reply #101 on: October 31, 2006, 11:03:51 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'136348\' date=\'Oct 31 2006, 08:46 PM\']
[quote name=\'JasonA1\' post=\'136345\' date=\'Oct 31 2006, 08:39 PM\']
Kind of a redundant question now that I think of it...[/quote]
Prety much, yeah...

There are notable examples of guys who've chosen to walk away from long-running shows that kept going without them (Hugh Downs and Wink Martindale being two), but Garry's the only other example that comes to mind of a genuine retirement from the business.
[/quote]

What about Bill Leyden?  I know he passed away a few months after YPMO went off, but I wonder what were the circumstances of him leaving in the middle of the series?
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Matt Ottinger

Bob Barker Retiring
« Reply #102 on: October 31, 2006, 11:04:39 PM »
[quote name=\'GS Warehouse\' post=\'136356\' date=\'Oct 31 2006, 09:26 PM\']
Ever since I initially scoffed at the news of Gene Rayburn's death back in 1999, thinking it was a troll post, I've needed to see a story like this posted to two different sources before I consider it true.  Although I'm counting MSNBC and Yahoo! as one because they used the same article from AP, but we've seen enough links in this thread now, including some [Reali]inside information[/Reali].  But as if there aren't enough sources posted already, here's the word from Zap2it.[/quote]
So ever since you didn't believe a big story that was true, you've been extra-special careful to be skeptical about any big story that might be true.  Makes sense to me!
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Bob Barker Retiring
« Reply #103 on: October 31, 2006, 11:11:17 PM »
[quote name=\'TheInquisitiveOne\' post=\'136378\' date=\'Oct 31 2006, 07:56 PM\']
P.S. Thankfully, I have relatives in L.A. What can I do to try to squeeze in one last taping? I appreciate those responses.
[/quote]
Just sent a self-addressed, stamped envelope to:

Tickets
The Price Is Right
7800 Beverly Boulevard
Los Angeles, CA 90036

/back to you, Bob
//what were you expecting?
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

tpirfan28

Bob Barker Retiring
« Reply #104 on: October 31, 2006, 11:18:14 PM »
OR...

Go to CBS.com.

Click on "Daytime".

Select "The Price is Right".

Then click on the words "COME ON DOWN!"  It's THAT EASY!

/back to you, Bob
//this is for the snail-mail challenged
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"