Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The Rich List  (Read 6485 times)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
The Rich List
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2006, 12:45:15 PM »
[quote name=\'scottua1\' post=\'136628\' date=\'Nov 2 2006, 09:22 AM\']
The information I enter into our database goes directly into Zap and all of our other clients' listings, which is why I like to confirm info like HD with the networks. I was told it wasn't, so it wasn't indicated as HD for any of our clients. Looks like I'll have to ask my contact about it again when I go into work later today.
[/quote]
Wow, sounds like a huge boner (heh heh, he said "huge boner") on Fox's part to give you bad information, then. You would think they would want to trumpet HD all over the place if they could do it.

At any rate, thanks for the attempt to help, even if it didn't quite work out. :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

scottua1

The Rich List
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2006, 12:49:09 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'136631\' date=\'Nov 2 2006, 12:29 PM\']
My apologies to Scott for misunderstanding.  I just read the post as a firm fact that the program wasn't presented in HD (which was wrong, of course), when it might have been a little clearer from the start to say "I was TOLD it wasn't going to be in HD."
[/quote]
You're right, I probably should have phrased it differently.

Robert Hutchinson

The Rich List
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2006, 09:13:00 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'136594\' date=\'Nov 2 2006, 09:32 AM\']Well, no. But at this point in the game, when you have an HD set, you would like to see as much programming as possible broadcast in HD, because that's the only way we're gonna get people to make the switch[/quote]

Really? I can think of some much better rea$on$.
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

clemon79

The Rich List
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2006, 09:18:35 PM »
[quote name=\'Robert Hutchinson\' post=\'136704\' date=\'Nov 2 2006, 06:13 PM\']
[/quote]
I'm missing your point. Sincerely. Do expand on that?

dzinkin

The Rich List
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2006, 09:23:24 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'136706\' date=\'Nov 2 2006, 09:18 PM\']
[quote name=\'Robert Hutchinson\' post=\'136704\' date=\'Nov 2 2006, 06:13 PM\']
[/quote]
I'm missing your point. Sincerely. Do expand on that?
[/quote]
I'm sure Robert will correct me if I'm wrong, but I think his point was that lowering the cost of HDTV sets is another way to get people to switch to HD.

clemon79

The Rich List
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2006, 09:38:00 PM »
[quote name=\'dzinkin\' post=\'136707\' date=\'Nov 2 2006, 06:23 PM\']
I'm sure Robert will correct me if I'm wrong, but I think his point was that lowering the cost of HDTV sets is another way to get people to switch to HD.
[/quote]
Oh, I'm not talking about end-users switching, I'm talking about the content-producers switching. (But I do realize the two are interconnected.) I was saying that once it's SOP for content producers to produce a 16x9 image, then at some point they'll stop doing this silly let's-block-for-4x3-but-we're-giving-you-16x9-isn't-that-great crap.

And really, it's not THAT linked to end-users. There's no reason they can't do the Conan thing and air shows in a letterboxed format. I strongly suspect that the majority of endusers aren't going to make the switch until they are forced to by the content. So I'd rather the content providers get that ball rolling instead of waiting for market share to go up first. 'Cuz it won't, unless they force the issue.

tpirfan28

The Rich List
« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2006, 10:06:06 PM »
Real quick...I didn't see the show...but unless I'm completely off base....

Why is Eamonn Holmes in Cullen's spot?
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

Matt Ottinger

The Rich List
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2006, 10:26:21 PM »
[quote name=\'tpirfan28\' post=\'136711\' date=\'Nov 2 2006, 10:06 PM\']
Real quick...I didn't see the show...but unless I'm completely off base....
Why is Eamonn Holmes in Cullen's spot?[/quote]
Just taking the advice of several members who liked the variety of corner-denizens when we did the countdown.  I'll mix it up a little, and I figured since we were talking about him, and since I have little doubt that the shelf life of The Rich List will be short, I thought we'd do him the honor since he won't be around for long.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
The Rich List
« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2006, 10:43:49 PM »
Not on my computer it isn't. Just some guy with the Drew Carey glasses and haircut. Good lookin' fella, though. </not that there's anything...you know the rest>
Travis L. Eberle

clemon79

The Rich List
« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2006, 10:44:29 PM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'136718\' date=\'Nov 2 2006, 07:43 PM\']
Not on my computer it isn't. Just some guy with the Drew Carey glasses and haircut. Good lookin' fella, though. </not that there's anything...you know the rest>
[/quote]
Clear your cache and reload the page.

TimK2003

The Rich List
« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2006, 10:46:10 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'136709\' date=\'Nov 2 2006, 10:38 PM\']
There's no reason they can't do the Conan thing and air shows in a letterboxed format. I strongly suspect that the majority of endusers aren't going to make the switch until they are forced to by the content. So I'd rather the content providers get that ball rolling instead of waiting for market share to go up first. 'Cuz it won't, unless they force the issue.
[/quote]

In our area, we have an NBC affiliate that for whatever reason will not/can not show letterboxed shows in letterboxed format.

For example, I have seen 2 different episodes of SNL's new season --  you only see what appears in the center of the letterbox.

So when Don Pardo says Darrell Hammond's name in the open, flashy big ass graphic we get to see says:

ARREL
               AMMON

I guess it's more important for them to blow $200,000 on a new news set than it is to fix a letterbox problem.

Robert Hutchinson

The Rich List
« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2006, 11:22:02 PM »
Chris: Ah, I see what you meant now. I glued the wrong antecedent to "the switch".

I would hope that that particular NBC affiliate is cropping the letterboxed images because they got a lot of complaints from stupid viewers. Not that that makes things much better.
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

trainman

The Rich List
« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2006, 01:28:49 AM »
[quote name=\'scottua1\' post=\'136628\' date=\'Nov 2 2006, 09:22 AM\']I work for the company behind Zap2It...[/quote]

So does this mean I can complain directly to you when there's something wrong with my DirecTV TiVo listings?
trainman is a man of trains

leszekp

The Rich List
« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2006, 12:36:54 PM »
When most of the discussion about a new gameshow revolves around whether it was broadcast in HD or not, you know it has serious problems.

My take:

- "Two strangers" gimmick adds nothing to game play
- Bidding process add nothing, and slows things down
- Discussion of answers by teams adds nothing, and slows things down
- There's no sense that the best team wins, an impression confirmed by the weak performance both times in the money round
- Did I mention it's slow?

There's a germ of a good idea here, but they didn't do enough development work. And when will primetime gameshow producers realize that a slow pace by itself doesn't equate to suspense and excitement? I wish one of them would realize that a fast pace can be suspenseful and exciting as well, as one long-running quiz show has proven.

cweaver

The Rich List
« Reply #29 on: November 03, 2006, 12:57:52 PM »
[quote name=\'leszekp\' post=\'136754\' date=\'Nov 3 2006, 01:36 PM\']
- "Two strangers" gimmick adds nothing to game play
- Bidding process add nothing, and slows things down
- Discussion of answers by teams adds nothing, and slows things down
- There's no sense that the best team wins, an impression confirmed by the weak performance both times in the money round
[/quote]

I don't mind any of these so much.  I do think they can be carried out more quickly, though.  Also, I found the maingame lists to be slightly tougher (at least playing along at home) than the bonus game/whatever you want to call that round, so I have to believe (aside from the fact that I know more Oscar winners than the average person) that gut vs. nerves is also a factor in game play (like DoND).   I heard the two guys throw around non-Oscar winners and actually talk themselves out of a couple of correct answers (like "Silence of the Lambs," definitely a Best Picture winner).