Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The Rich List gone  (Read 15394 times)

colonial

The Rich List gone
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2006, 07:30:00 AM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'136847\' date=\'Nov 3 2006, 10:29 PM\']
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'136845\' date=\'Nov 3 2006, 10:19 PM\']
And now the ugly little loophole in game show production:  If it doesn't air, we don't have to pay you.

How many people who made themselves some easy money on those lightweight questions aren't going to see their winnings?
[/quote]
How many episodes were produced, and I wonder if FOX plans to burn them off during the summer, despite shelving it. I believe they did that with one of their comedies from last year ("Head Cases", maybe?)
[/quote]

I'm thinking 10 episodes were produced, but I'm not 100 percent on that.

I could see Fox burning off the remaining episodes on Fridays at 8p once *Vanished* ends its run (Fox has told *Vanished* to wrap up its storyline in 13 episodes) and see what happens.

Oh, Eammon.  Now you know what Jackie Gleason, Glenn Frey, Melba Moore, Heather Graham and those idiots from *The Will* feel.

James

thgames65

The Rich List gone
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2006, 11:11:40 AM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'136847\' date=\'Nov 3 2006, 10:29 PM\']

How many episodes were produced, and I wonder if FOX plans to burn them off during the summer, despite shelving it. I believe they did that with one of their comedies from last year ("Head Cases", maybe?)
[/quote]

At the auditions, they said this was set to be an initial six show run.

Tim H.

booboo

The Rich List gone
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2006, 11:17:40 AM »
FOX always does that, like they did with "Forever Eden" and "Playing it Straight" (just using them as examples)

davidbod

The Rich List gone
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2006, 11:40:04 AM »
[quote name=\'mmb5\' post=\'136852\' date=\'Nov 4 2006, 04:00 AM\']
but even the Brits know this is a limited-audience show.[/quote]

*Even* the Brits? Do we have delusions of grandeur or something? If anything, British shows are way, way too quiet - this week I saw someone get excited about winning £13!

Like the sig, tho.
David J. Bodycombe, Labyrinth Games

Author of How To Devise A Game Show

tvrandywest

The Rich List gone
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2006, 12:37:14 PM »
How many episodes were produced?

I'm told ten.

Randy
tvrandywest.com
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

mmb5

The Rich List gone
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2006, 04:28:11 PM »
[quote name=\'davidbod\' post=\'136894\' date=\'Nov 4 2006, 11:40 AM\']
[quote name=\'mmb5\' post=\'136852\' date=\'Nov 4 2006, 04:00 AM\']
but even the Brits know this is a limited-audience show.[/quote]

*Even* the Brits? Do we have delusions of grandeur or something? If anything, British shows are way, way too quiet - this week I saw someone get excited about winning £13!
[/quote]

The reference is more to the fact that they are willing to produce game shows that are not mass appeal, and because of that, low dollar amounts.  For example, Sudo-Q is ten times the show That's the Question is, but yet we get the latter because it (cue brass in minor-chords) doesn't have math.

--Mike
Portions of this post not affecting the outcome have been edited or recreated.

TimK2003

The Rich List gone
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2006, 04:43:08 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'136832\' date=\'Nov 3 2006, 10:32 PM\']
FOX didn't have any faith in this, and this makes a perfect excuse for them "cancelling" it, or whatever they wanna call it.
[/quote]

<sigh> FOX takes a game show that coulda lasted many months (if tweaked), and kills it after 1 episode.  Meanwhile, klunker shows like "Trading Spouses/Meet Your New Mommy" and "The War at Home" continue to get airtime when *they* should've been canned after the first episode.

And Rupert Murdoch says his My Network TV is gonna be like another FOX in 5 years...Bwahahahaahahahaaa!
« Last Edit: November 04, 2006, 04:44:50 PM by TimK2003 »

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
The Rich List gone
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2006, 04:47:21 PM »
[quote name=\'TimK2003\' post=\'136918\' date=\'Nov 4 2006, 01:43 PM\']
<sigh> FOX takes a game show that coulda lasted many months (if tweaked)
[/quote]
If by "tweaked" you mean "a complete format was developed around the pathetic shell of a concept", then, sure, tweaked.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2006, 06:01:38 PM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

tvwxman

The Rich List gone
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2006, 05:38:56 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'136832\' date=\'Nov 3 2006, 09:32 PM\']
 FOX didn't have any faith in this, and this makes a perfect excuse for them "cancelling" it, or whatever they wanna call it.
[/quote]

I don't buy this at all.

If they didn't have faith in it , then why wait till the night before the all-important November ratings book to air it? They had this one sched for the full book. If they didn't have faith, they would have waited till December to burn em off.
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

That Don Guy

The Rich List gone
« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2006, 11:58:40 AM »
[quote name=\'TimK2003\' post=\'136918\' date=\'Nov 4 2006, 04:43 PM\']<sigh> FOX takes a game show that coulda lasted many months (if tweaked), and kills it after 1 episode.  Meanwhile, klunker shows like "Trading Spouses/Meet Your New Mommy" and "The War at Home" continue to get airtime when *they* should've been canned after the first episode.[/quote]
Maybe if they change The Rich List to a half-hour show and put "Viewer Discretion Advised" at the start?  That seems to be pretty much the only thing that keeps The War at Home on the air.  (Well, that and Fox needs some half-hour shows to fill in miscellaneous gaps in its schedule; they're already got 'Til Death "instant repeats" filling in King of the Hill's spot until it returns in January.)

-- Don

cweaver

The Rich List gone
« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2006, 12:34:39 PM »
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' post=\'136922\' date=\'Nov 4 2006, 06:38 PM\']
I don't buy this at all.

If they didn't have faith in it , then why wait till the night before the all-important November ratings book to air it? They had this one sched for the full book. If they didn't have faith, they would have waited till December to burn em off.
[/quote]

It could very well be the network had some, limited faith in the show.  I've suspected someone at Fox doesn't mind taking a chance on a game show but someone else has limited patience for them and will yank one faster than, say, a Temptation Island or The War at Home.  They kept lower rated shows on their schedule when they axed Greed, for instance.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2006, 12:35:11 PM by cweaver »

Patrick S

The Rich List gone
« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2006, 11:11:57 PM »
This is one of those formats where the only way it could work is if there's a really good host who can evoke some good conversation with the contestants and really build up the tension.  Eamonn was that.  However, I think even for those who did see the promos AND don't watch Lost AND were home at 9:00 on Friday night, they may have avoided it because the commercials didn't show any of Eamonn's great hosting skills.  It just said "Hey, look!  We turned a simple list-naming concept into an extremely over-glamorous game show!"  Were I not just a game show enthusiast, I would not have tuned in.  I think if more people just had their TVs tuned to Fox at that time, there would have been more viewer interest.

That being said, I hope the rest of the taped episodes will find their way to air, if for nothing else to actually let me say that programming a season pass of The Rich List on TiVo was worth something.  Please also find Eamonn another spot on US television.  He's arguably THE best British personality I've ever seen over here in the states.

clemon79

The Rich List gone
« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2006, 11:18:20 PM »
[quote name=\'Patrick S\' post=\'137061\' date=\'Nov 5 2006, 08:11 PM\']
This is one of those formats where the only way it could work is if there's a really good host who can evoke some good conversation with the contestants and really build up the tension.
[/quote]
No, I'm quite sure that format would have blown dog no matter WHO the host was. It was a bad, bad, broken format.
That being said, I hope the rest of the taped episodes will find their way to air, if for nothing else to actually let me say that programming a season pass of The Rich List on TiVo was worth something.
You know that the Tivo lets you delete those, right?

Patrick S

The Rich List gone
« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2006, 11:27:57 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'137062\' date=\'Nov 5 2006, 11:18 PM\']

No, I'm quite sure that format would have blown dog no matter WHO the host was. It was a bad, bad, broken format.
[/quote]

Well, yeah, maybe I am giving it too much credit.  I did find the show to be enjoyable, but only because of Eamonn.  He had a professional demeanor that has been sorely, sorely missed in game show hosts as of late.  The show format itself, as you said, leaves A LOT to be desired.

You know that the Tivo lets you delete those, right?

Of course.  I was just saying that it would be nice (or, would have been nice) if my programming of the season pass wasn't a total waste.  All I meant was that a season pass program ended up being nothing more than scheduling a single episode, which is unfortunate.

clemon79

The Rich List gone
« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2006, 11:30:54 PM »
[quote name=\'Patrick S\' post=\'137067\' date=\'Nov 5 2006, 08:27 PM\']
Of course.  I was just saying that it would be nice (or, would have been nice) if my programming of the season pass wasn't a total waste.
[/quote]
And I'm worrying about you if you're feeling that strongly about eight or so button presses.